Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #1

1984 29' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
First time owner ('84 Sovereign 29) - question on service in San Antonio

Same story you've heard before: Have been enamored with Airstreams since I was a kid. Had some family friends ready to sell a 1984 Sovereign they've had for a few years, parked at a ranch the entire time. They purchased from original owners. I know absolutely nothing about RVs, travel trailers, etc. (I've always been a tent camper) other than I love them and my wife and two children are beyond excited about this Airstream (as am I).

It is really good shape, with almost everything in working order, but I need the A/C serviced and a general 'once over' servicing, cleaning of the trailer.

No local Airstream dealer in San Antonio (there is one between here an Austin). They haven't been using the water/bathroom/etc. as they've had it next to a barn with full bathroom, so it hasn't had water in tanks in a while. So I need the full servicing and even some education/walk through. The owner is from out of town and mentioned finding local 'fix it' folks/hobbyists vs dealers that will likely be just as good/better for more reasonable rates.

So, to a brand spanking new owner that has yet to even go get his trailer, do you kind folks know of any local San Antonio area mechanics that would be good to take the trailer to? Should I just take it to Ancira RV or the Airstream dealer up in Austin?

Many thanks in advance for the help and information.
texrun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Welcome to the forums and the Airstream family.
I will try to answer your questions.
First of all, you will have to do your own cleaning. I recommend 409 without bleach and good old elbow grease.

As far as getting your systems checked, you could take the trailer to Texas RV Supply on Austin Highway. They can do the checks for you.

Your A/C may need to be replaced if it is not working. If you have to replace it I would recommend going with the Coleman 15K btu model.

I would be happy to do a walk through with you on your trailer, but it will have to wait a couple of weeks as I am having some eye surgery. PM me and let's exchange phone #'s and emails. I will help you in any way that I can.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado: Welcome to Airstream Forums and the vintage Airstream hobby. The kind of folks I have found here are just like bwoodtx. Always willing to help out even with a health concern. It will take a while for you to learn all about Airstreaming. These forums will help out a lot.

We have an 86 Limited 34'. It is built similar to your 84. We use ours regularly and enjoy it.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #4

1984 29' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoodtx View Post
Welcome to the forums and the Airstream family.
I will try to answer your questions.
First of all, you will have to do your own cleaning. I recommend 409 without bleach and good old elbow grease.

As far as getting your systems checked, you could take the trailer to Texas RV Supply on Austin Highway. They can do the checks for you.

Your A/C may need to be replaced if it is not working. If you have to replace it I would recommend going with the Coleman 15K btu model.

I would be happy to do a walk through with you on your trailer, but it will have to wait a couple of weeks as I am having some eye surgery. PM me and let's exchange phone #'s and emails. I will help you in any way that I can.
Thank you, @bwoodtx. I'll definitely hit you up directly. I appreciate the info and the very generous offer to help me get educated. Many, many thanks!
texrun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
First of all, congratulations on your new to you Airstream.

I'm up in Austin and am in a very similar situation. Like you I'm new to rvs and Airstreams and purchased a 2004 in the beginning of April. My Airstream needed new tires, brakes and bearing repacked and I wanted all the seals around windows and roof checked, rear view camera installed and a couple of other minor tweaks. The Airstream dealer in Austin was very unresponsive when I tried to make a service appointment.

Someone on this site recommended Paul at A&P Vintage Trailer in Paradise, Texas. I decided to give him a try and could not of been happier with my experience. His prices where very fair and you get the piece of mind knowing that you have someone who knows and cares about what he is doing. Its a little bit of a drive about 4 hours from Austin but well work it.

Mike
runtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign