Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , CALIFORNIA
First time Airstream Trailer purchase

Hi,
My husband and I are embarking on a new travel lifestyle once we finally decide on the best Airstream purchase + the best suited vehicle to tow. I am looking at Airstream Sport 22' as our first purchase. I am also looking at trading in my Toyota Highlander (2012) and purchasing a 2017 Nissan Armada. Looking ahead I want to be able to get a larger/heavier Airstream in the future if we want to. I welcome any experienced travelers advice and recommendations.
Thank you!
ShirleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Shirley, we have had a 30' Classic w/ slide, an '89 25' Excella and an Interstate EXT. We now have a '17 26U and think it will fit our travels. Even with some extended stays at various places. This floor plan allows for roomy guest dining or card playing, etc. The twin beds we have make for a nice dressing room between them. The shower and bath are quite roomy as well. And the exterior storage of a 26U is BIG for an Airstream. We tow with a '15 F150 SCrew with the 3.5L EcoBoost / 6speed combo. I think the Armada you mentioned will pull a 22' easily. It would likely tow my 26U also if set up with the right engine / tranny / gear ratios. You'll have fun !!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado ShirleyB: Welcome to the Airstream Forums. You will "shirley" get a lot of responses to your request for opinions. And each opinion won't cost you a thing. What a deal.

We've owned an vintage Airstream since 2005. We like long trips in our retirement. We like the "uniqueness" of the Airstream over the so many, many other brands. We enjoy it very much. However, there are disadvantages to owning an Airstream; like they cost over twice as much for a similar size, like they are rather fragile with their thin aluminum skins, like they are prone to leaking rain water, like they are like camping in a Lear jet (round and small). However they are a very high quality trailer with excellent interior designs.

Tow vehicle selection is easier if you stick to the specs. Manufacturers have their tow ratings made public. You must know the "gross vehicle weight rating" of the trailer you want to tow. This is not the dry weight, but the maximum weight the trailer will carry. And you need to know the "gross combined weight rating" of the tow vehicle. This is the weight of the vehicle, the passengers and cargo, and the weight of the trailer. And don't forget the "gross weight rating" of the tow vehicle. This is the weight of the vehicle and the max passengers and cargo it will safely carry. Then consider dropping a 700 pound trailer tongue on the rear bumper and you may find that you don't have enough capacity to take fido with you. I like torque and horsepower for my tow vehicle as I pull my trailer up steep mountain roads.

I highly recommend you look forward 5 years or more and pick the right trailer for your future needs. Airstreams last a very long time. Buying small and cheap now will cost more when you want to go bigger, and most folks do. If you plan on short trips like 3 or 5 nights out, a 22 is just fine. If your plans call for weeks or months on the road, the 22 will get small in a hurry. Older Airstreams in good condition is a cost reduction alternative to consider. They won't have the latest designs, but they will keep you warm and comfortable nonetheless.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Welcome !!!!

For some people a 16' is plenty big enough for five full time. For us, something bigger makes more sense for two people plus three large dogs part time. There is no single answer to any of these questions. Spend some time in a variety of layouts and think about how you will fit. Some things are very different viewed on the internet or on a two minute walk through. You will spend days in your trailer. It needs to work right. Trading one in is an expensive proposition ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , CALIFORNIA
Thank you!

Hi,
Thank you for your comments and encouragement. Very helpful.
ShirleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
For your first one I would recommend looking slightly used. It drops the price a bit (helpful if you think you might end up trading up in a couple of years) and hopefully any bugs have been worked out. That's what we did! Have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote