Old 08-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #1

1964 28' Ambassador
Mount Vernon , Iowa Heartland
First Airstream Ever!

I just joined this forum and hope to do things correctly. Please tell me if I don't. We recently bought our first Airstream....a 1964 28 ft Ambassador. It seems to be in really good shape and we will need only to do some cosmetic changes to it initially. We will go pick it up a week from today and want to camp in it on the way home. Does anyone know if regular twin sheets will fit the twin beds in the bedroom? The fellow we bought it from has been very helpful and we've asked tons of questions, but forgot to ask this one and since he is a busy guy I hate to bother him again. I just want to be prepared to sleep in the Ambassador on our way home. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
The first thing you did correct was buying an AS. welcome and good luck.
James

Old 08-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
I just joined this forum and hope to do things correctly. Please tell me if I don't. We recently bought our first Airstream....a 1964 28 ft Ambassador. It seems to be in really good shape and we will need only to do some cosmetic changes to it initially. We will go pick it up a week from today and want to camp in it on the way home. Does anyone know if regular twin sheets will fit the twin beds in the bedroom? The fellow we bought it from has been very helpful and we've asked tons of questions, but forgot to ask this one and since he is a busy guy I hate to bother him again. I just want to be prepared to sleep in the Ambassador on our way home. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Congratulations, welcome to Airstreaming, and welcome to the Forums! You have come to the right place to find out everything you need to know about your new-to-you camper.

The twins in your coach are likely a few inches narrower than a true twin bed, but the fitted sheet will probably still fit, since the elastic makes it form-fitting. The flat sheet will be a little wider than normal, but nothing that can't be tucked away.

One warning, and not to dampen your spirits, but these vintage units usually need some floor repair/replacement and potentially some frame replacement, most often at the rear end under the bathroom, and sometimes at the front under the door and front window. Be sure you carefully check the perimeter of your subfloor right where it meets the walls-- use an ice-pick at the edges to test the softness of the floor. Again, I'm not trying to bring you down, but this is a critical safety matter for you and your family (and everyone else on the road as you tow).

Good luck!
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #4

1964 28' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Congratulations, welcome to Airstreaming, and welcome to the Forums! You have come to the right place to find out everything you need to know about your new-to-you camper.

The twins in your coach are likely a few inches narrower than a true twin bed, but the fitted sheet will probably still fit, since the elastic makes it form-fitting. The flat sheet will be a little wider than normal, but nothing that can't be tucked away.

One warning, and not to dampen your spirits, but these vintage units usually need some floor repair/replacement and potentially some frame replacement, most often at the rear end under the bathroom, and sometimes at the front under the door and front window. Be sure you carefully check the perimeter of your subfloor right where it meets the walls-- use an ice-pick at the edges to test the softness of the floor. Again, I'm not trying to bring you down, but this is a critical safety matter for you and your family (and everyone else on the road as you tow).

Good luck!
-Marcus
Thanks, so much for your reply. The fellow we bought the Airstream from says he replaced the bathroom and bedroom flooring in 2003, but we realize you need to check for yourself. We'll employ the ice pick method you propose. From the reading we've done, we know that to not expect any problems from a 44 year old trailor is pure folly. We hope for the best, but will face up to problems if they come. And no doubt, we'll be seeking help here.

Bobcat
Old 08-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #5

1964 28' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flintstones View Post
The first thing you did correct was buying an AS. welcome and good luck.
James
Thanks for the welcome, James. Its greatly appreciated!

Bobcat
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
We lucked out...

Welcome aboard
Sandy and I lucked out with our "first". It did need some work but the frame and floor were in very good condition. Hope your as lucky as we were. There are are a lot of GREAT folks here, so any help is just a question away.

Good luck and have a safe trip home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAM'N AT THE DOG SHOW WITH BO.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	65748  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote