Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
Enjoy Life

2011 30' International
Beacon , New York
First Airstream and Love it

Recently purchased a 2011 Airstream International Serenity 30’. Been looking for 3 years for the International style trailer at our price point. We love the contemporary interior design. Outside and inside in very good condition. A through cleaning, I mean cleaning all the seams with a hand brush and light cleaning inside. Wax with Walbernize wax and the trailer looks great, not a scratch on anything.

Did have some corrosion where the 13 red and yellow running lights touched the aluminum skin of the trailer. I hired an auto body guy to sand the corrosion out, spray with a close match silver paint and spray clear coat finish. Not perfect but you cannot notice any irregularity unless you are staring at the area. We put on all new running lights that have a gasket to separate the lens metal trim from touching the aluminum skin.

This is the third trailer I have owned and by far the AS has the best build quality I have owned . Every handle, window latch, door hinge etc is quality design and material.

My International Serenity is the first trailer that I actually enjoy being in. The L shaped front couch, dining area and kitchen is our open plan living area. Really like the bathroom and separate shower conveniently next to the wardrobe closet. Rear bedroom is great as we like to sleep with the window open and not see our tow vehicle which is a 2007 Chevy passenger van 3500 with tow package. Our AS has everything my wife and I need and nothing we do not need. The 15 passenger van tv with all but one rear seat removed provides a huge amount of storage to transport everything we need including bicycles, kayaks, electric outboard motors, sporting gear, tools and extra everything. Our Lab and Austrian Shepard travel on the one rear seat.

To my amazement I discovered that there was an Airstream restoration/repair facility in Fishkill NY, a 15 minute drive from my home. Thought I would have to travel hundreds of miles for professional service. Spoke to the owner and he will winterize our AS in November and make recommendations for its long term care in my possession.

Have been camping all my life and now at 67 my wife and I have more time and will join our Airstream district club and look forward to participating in their planned events. This forum and AS podcasts have been a huge inspiration for our purchase. We are very happy to own an Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	352331  

EzShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
First Airstream and Love it

Welcome! Great purchase. Cool can too!

We have the same trailer and love it as well. We’ve made some enhancements too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f539...um-182406.html

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Echoing wulfraat's comment about the "van" [I assume he meant ]. We have always towed with vans.

George at Classic RV is a great resource.

FYI other comments here about his shop:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clas...com&gws_rd=ssl

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Welcome!

So glad you are enjoying your Airstream, and that you procured such a great trailer at a huge savings.

I have always thought a hefty van with all it's roomy storage would be an ideal tow vehicle for full-timers or those who do extensive travels, and am surprised that more owners seem to overlook vans as TVs.

Surprised to read you had corrosion around your running lights as I thought AS had some sort of rubber or plastic gasket between the light and the outer skin.

Hope you have many, many years of happy camping in your beautiful Airstream!
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
*** OT ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
. . .
I have always thought a hefty van with all it's roomy storage would be an ideal tow vehicle for full-timers or those who do extensive travels, and am surprised that more owners seem to overlook vans as TVs.
. . .
FYI there are some good threads about vans as tow vehicles, including this one:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...se-171397.html

Generally speaking it is harder to find a new van with the same capabilities as the older models. For instance, our 2017 Ford Transit 350 van described in that thread is not capable of towing the same 25' we towed with the old 1995 Ford Econoline 350 Club Wagon. [See Post #25 et seq. in the thread above.] The OP's 2007 Chevy van here is relatively old, and could not be replaced with a current model, as far as I know.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 PM   #6
Enjoy Life

2011 30' International
Beacon , New York
Building relationships with auto tradespeople

Appreciate all the comments. All contribute to a more fulfilling AS experience. wulfratt’s improvements are beyond top shelf. What he/she did with the dinette seat conversion to a couch with storage below and matching polished aluminum base skirt blew me away, not to mention the electronic, entertainment and appliance improvements to name a few. Top of the line design and build.

Regarding a van as a tow vehicle. I also do not know why more campers do not use a van, particularly because an AS has less cargo storage space then any other trailer I have owned. I am not a dedicated boondocker so I have never been stuck towing with my van. I have been towing ATVs, jet skis, horse trailers and now camping trailers for more than 35 years without any major serious problems.

My van is getting old, a 2007 Chevy extended passenger van 6.0 with tow package, and I am still comfortable towing with it. I have a neighbor/friend/certified Chevy mechanic “bullet proof” the van. He replaced all parts likely to go bad before it happens at 115k mi. We only use the van for recreation. Another useful relationship is with an auto body guy who does side work on all my vehicles. He fills in road stone chips, checks undercarriage for rust control and pays attention to undercoating yearly. The relationship I have with these tradesmen is very valuable to the extended life of my vehicles. I keep a keen eye to replace them when they move on or move away and are no longer available to me. I also pay them more than they ask to do the job. Some of the work is completed on my property, a huge time saver for me and mutually beneficial to the tradesperson.
EzShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado and welcome to the Airstream owner's community. I'm glad your first impressions of your trailer are positive. May you have many wonderful travel adventures in it, including a trip to the Colorado rocky mountains.

I agree with your assessment of towing with a van. Our family did so for many years. We used the Ford E350 with the V10 engine. Ten mpg average towing, but stable and very versatile vehicle. We used to say the main adventage is the short overhang distance from rear bumper to rear axle. That short couple made towing more stable compared to a pick up of similar vintage.

Enjoy these Forums.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0809 Pine Grove.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	352777  

WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792