Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!! We can't wait to get going and now that I found this site, my hubby better get well fast 'cuz I'm itchin' to get going (so is he!) I do have a couple things to ask upon your replies...
BOB34787: What should we look for for improper hitching?
funkill (Laura): We'll try to see you at KARS, do you know where you'll be parked?
Foiledagain: yes we got a real good deal, bought the AS 1 hour before the RV show closed on the '09 was a great buy (think they wanted to get rid of us) But it's nice to know about the 2010, I'm sure we'll let them know when we pick it up!!!
Henw: what's a hawkshead tire monitor? Sounds important.
Shinymetal: will a 9mm, 380 and a 20gauge do?
As soon as my hubby is awake from his pain medication, I'm sure he'll fire off some questions.
My daughter just moved to Colorado soI have almost her whole kitchen, that is now going in the AS! Perfect timing.
Thanks again.

kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #16
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Exclamation Make your first campover AT YOUR DEALER'S

Yep, and I wish I could remember who told me that, but it sure makes sense. I haven't seen a dealer yet that doesn't have some spot to let you stay overnight, so make use of it.

Hook up to your tow vehicle, take it to the spot he gives you, disconnect the tow vehicle, set your levelling devices, turn on the radio, and the TV, cook dinner, check the guages on the control panel, clean up, turn on the furnace for a little bit (even if it isn't cold out), try out all the fans. Next morning, cook breakfast, and of course you will have used the bathroom, so here's your first opportunity to empty your waste tanks.

Watch for water leaking anywhere, listen for strange noises, buzzes, hums, or clicks as things operate, be sure you understand how EVERY switch works: change a fuse, run the AC.

Make sure that ALL systems are GO. ASK the dealer if you aren't 100% sure about something you notice. You paid him to do that, remember.

In other words, look for "deficiencies". You WILL have them, just like a new house has them, since there are a LOT of systems and nobody is perfect.

So next you MAKE A WRITTEN LIST OF ALL OF THEM and hand in a copy of it to the dealer the next morning, and either stay there until he has them all done, or get his written response to your list as to when everything will be in stock so as to have the repairs done to your satisfaction.

After all HOW many trips to his place do YOU want to make to his place?

Then go camping, and enjoy...!

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Make lots of check lists, especially at first. Find plenty online and there should be one with your a/s manuel.
sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer. Dot start getting nervous about backing until your in a spot you cant get out of.

Remember, to back up
1. Breathe!!,
2. Say "here we go",
3. Hold steering wheel with one hand at the bottom! (Only one hand)
4. Now think "which way does the BACK of the trailer have to go".
5. Move hand that way ( the one on the BOTTOM of the steering wheel!) The back of the trailer will go the same direction as the BOTTOM of the steering wheel while backing.

If you think you are in trouble get out and look (this prevents dents in the new aluminum)

Pull forward however many times it takes.

When the crowd gathers and start giving directions IGNOR THEM!

It is your trailer and YOU CAN DO IT!!
Kidsgone - You wont get any better help than this post, and "Foiled Again"'s above. It's not hard to do. You just havent' had the opportunity to learn yet. If your dealer has the facility, ask if you can spend a night or two there. Then try out everything, including opening out the awnings. Then if you have any "issues", you're right there for them to explain or fix. You're gonna LOVE your Airstream.
I love that old time rock & roll.
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
One additional thing. Have the dealer deploy the big awning for you. Watch carefully and take notes. It is NOT intuitive.

Please don't ask me how I know.

Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Aage gave you some really great advice in post #16. I believe there is a campground almost across the street from Bates. Your new Airstream "will" have some glitches (I know...bought an '07 & '08) However, I did not buy either from Bates. It is much better to find some of the flaws while you're near the dealership.....preferably camping in their lot. My second purchase was handled so well that we actually spent a night in our '08 before any paperwork was done.

The first purchase was not entirely a nightmare....but, it provided some excitement and of which was serious. A few highlights:
- purchased from a dealer (who is no longer selling Airstreams) located fifty miles from the factory.....thought that was a wasn't
- walk-through was pretty thorough, which I video taped. However, while the walk-through was being done, workers were setting up my hitch and equalizer (I had a Reese setup from a previous project). But, they failed to notice that it had a 2 1/2" ball.....I know everyone reading this just said "Oh $^&#!" Yes, I managed to drive over 900 miles back to Florida, in 30-40 mile wind gusts (terrible storms in OH and IN) without losing the trailer. The only reason it didn't come off the "too small" ball was that the equalizer bars were holding it down.
- rain was going sideways by the time we pulled out of the dealership, but I still spent some time on an access road dialing in the brake controller
- spent the first two nights in a nearby KOA (pull-thru so I didn't have to unhitch).....I wanted to make sure there were not any serious issues before we got too far from the factory. TV won't pickup any cable channels.....KOA folks were having sympathy with the noobs and advised us to turn off the booster switch.
- the kind Canadians loaned us a corkscrew so we could enjoy wine toasts the first night
- the nearby campers (nor us) were prepared for the smoke detector's alarm at around 11:00 PM....seems that new furnace I'm testing emits enough fumes to cause that to happen. Make sure you know how to take the battery out in the dark....I didn't, so we had to purchase a new smoke detector
- we thought we were prepared.....owned a Shasta travel trailer many years ago. We made checklist after checklist.....brought all the right linens and enough dishware. We even got the groceries right at the first Walmart stop. But, no matter how prepared you are......there will be some things that will make you stop and go "huh ??" Just know that it's going to happen.....with all the members on this forum.....whatever it is has probably happened to someone, sometime.

Good luck with your new baby!

Dream like you're going to live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow, and dance like nobody is watching!

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote