Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Finally some pix of my '78 31' Center Bath Sovereign International

Wow, that title is a mouthful!

Anyway, finally took some pix our 'new' airstream. As I posted before, there is no way I could have got her home without the help of Jeff (Coastalview). This forum is great.

So here's the pix, I think...

http://www.airforums.com/photo...&searchid=2901

We pulled her out of the RV lot to clean her today. Got all of the awnings open and they all look in really good condition. Filled her up with some water to check the plumbing and immediatelly noticed the distinct sound of water leaking. It seems that the nipple from the fresh water tank had a little crack. Ordered a new one that will be in next week so I think I'm OK with that. Checked all plumbing inside and everything seems to be working. Now I just need to plug her in to 110v to check the AC, Microwave, etc. So far, most everything looks good and I think we'll be able to make the Norcal rally in Lake San Antonio in Oct.

After some cleanup and minor repairs, did some practice backing up. Its actually not that bad after you realize that you have a very long set up. I'll practice some more parking tomorrow before I put her back in the storage lot.

So, the things to fix include:

1. Those wheels that hold down the main awning. They are frozen in place.

2. The vent over the bedroom. Its not closing all the way.

3. This is the killer... the 8-track!!!! Its just not playing.

4. The freshwater tank nipple. Parts are on order so I'm not concerned.

Just gotta test the grey and black water dump and I think I'm pretty good to go.

Hopefully the pix turned out. If not, search in photos for kramynot2000.

Tony
Old 08-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Congratulations, Tony! Your enthusiasm rings through your post Soon you'll get her on the road and headed for all sorts of adventues. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Tony,
The pictures look great!
My 8-track took some playing around with to get working again, moving a tape in different positions seem to do the trick.
Try some penitratating spray on those zip dee awning retaining wheels.
That rear vent of yours works partly, spend some time and pull down the light fixture and remove the screen, it may need some lube also on the lift arms.
It will be great to see you both again. See ya at the rally, Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
That is a really nice Airstream. We still have not taken our '66 Tradewind camping yet. I have driven it around Placerville and E.D. County to get a feel for it. Our first trip probably will be soon up to Wrights Lake. We love it there. I would recommend it to you but your rig 'may' be to much for the windy road. It is paved but more like a paved logging road. Nearby Ice House and Union lakes may be more for you. Anyway what kind of trips will you take? With fall approaching wine country "Sideways" travel would be fun.
Enjoy.
Neil.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
That unit looks like it's in nice shape, have fun with it, where's your first trip going to be?

I'll be bringing my 77 home in about a week it needs a redo.

I will post some pic's asap.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Happy Airstreaming

Your unit looks to be in really good shape for it's age. Congratulations and happy Airstreaming. Wow, and you have awnings all the way around - a great thing in sunny California!

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Thumbs up

Tony-

Congrats on a nice unit! The inside is in gorgeous condition. Look around and you may find the Zip-Dee awnings that go on either side of your front window. I noticed you had the snaps for them! Along those lines, you may also have the wheel covers!! That would be great. There are always suprises hidden in these trailers. Make sure you look in all the compartments including lifting up the beds. There may be trays that run the length of the bed along the front side under the platform that holds the mattress. There is also hidden storage behind your gaucho in the front.

I hope everthing checks out with 120V for you. You have the original Armstrong Bay Breeze A/C which is a very robust unit.

If you want to restore the cabinet and closet latches to their original brown color, Airstream still makes that part. It's a quick fix.

I'll be suprised if you can resuscitate the 8-track unit, but that's probably not a bad thing! The one in my '72 was beyond hope. I also could'nt get the Motorolla AM/FM working again, either. May you'll have better luck!

I see you may still have the Excella-Vac brakes. Are those working???

Good luck! I see you're enjoying your new '78.
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
The PO really took good care of this unit

Yeah, this unit is very nice. We were blown away when we found it and the PO is just the sweetest lady. She even sent us a card telling us to stop by and visit when we're in her area.

As for the brakes, they work great. My truck stops faster with the trailer than without!

The awnings are great as well that are in really great condition. We do have the skirts that go over the tires and I thought we had the skirts for the front awning but it turns out its just another set of tire skirts as well. Also, when we were picking it up the PO said she had a surprise for us.... two matching zip dee lawn chairs, also in great condition.

As for where we are going to take her, well my first goal is the NorCal Rally at Lake San Antonio. After that, we're thinking of a few "check-out" weekend trips to some local sites to make sure everything works. Once we get things worked out, we're thinking of a trip to either Utah or maybe up north to Oregon/Washington. We'd love to get up in the Sierra's with her but I think she's just a little to long so I'll stick with the Aliner for those places.

Tony
Old 08-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You guys did well! The trailer looks really good and I was surprised at how nice the interior is, other than the rear bedroom material, we had the exact same in our 78. Yikes! It had to go.
But seriously that looks like a great trailer to have good times in. With not a lot of work it should be eaven better.
Mine was in good shape when we got it in June, but the PO had painted a lot using a flat latex that was very yellowish. Also the bedroom has very faded and yellowed walls.
It has come along well, and I am inthe midst of stripping the outside, while also finishing up the interior walls and trim around the new flooring.
Ready to camp....soon!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Sacramento , California
Posted a few more pix... including Zip Dee all around!

Thanks Alan. But for some strange reason my wife actually likes the pattern in the rear bedroom. I don't know why and of course I don't say anything. I think its more nostalgic than anything else.

Did a few more things today like tinker with the stereo setup.... What's that I hear???? I think its Benny Goodman on the.... 8-track!!!! Yep, I got her working. It was just a loose drive belt (drive rubber band?) that I replaced and we were rocking out to the scratchy sounds of Benny Goodman. Let's see, how did that foxtrot go - slow... slow... quick..quick..

Also, I posted four more pix, including the whole Zip Dee package and complete rig:

http://www.airforums.com/photo...&searchid=2907

I think that's it...
Old 08-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Tony,

Great looking trailer, and a FIND. Thanks - I enjoyed looking at your pictures, and I finally got a clear picture of the forward vanity light assembly in the bathroom - mine is missing.

I also like the "flower power" wall cladding in the bathroom. Mine has a dull "autumn leaves" brown print.

Enjoy her!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote