Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
TWells

2006 22' International CCD
Waddell , Arizona
Finally own an airstream!

So excited to join the airstream community. I found my airstream on line at this site on the classified stream. Flew from Seattle to Pennsylvania to pick it up and check it out. Bought a towing car. Had the hitch installed etc. now on my way to Arizona with Airstream in tow. All very exciting and wonderful. The airstream I purchased is an international 22 foot CCD 2006. Immaculate condition.

I've been camping for 17 years in a Volkswagen camper van and it's been great fun. But this will definitely be a step up. Just hope I can figure out how to do it all without my husband as I camp a lot more than he does and we are still ten years from retirement.

Our tow vehicle is a 2010 Mercedes suv. ML 350. It definitely was a pain to get the tow hitch installed and the brake controller installed. Also had a problem getting the led light stem on the trailer to work because the Mercedes digital system requires a load to register before it will send a signal out to activate the lights and the led lights don't have a load so they don't provide that nessesary component to the system.
We solved this problem by switching out two of the tail lights to regular light bulb taillights. Another fix would be to order a part VW called a VW LED trailer adapter. Part number zvw 808 004

It was all quite complicated and expensive and frustrating but it finally all pulled together in the end to have a working system. Hurrah!!

We are moving soon to arizona so I will be interested in the camping opportunities in the southwest. Sure would love to hear of favorite places to go down in this area of the country.
tanniwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Welcome.

sounds like quite the adventure already.

Hope you will enjoy your new to you AS as much as we have enjoyed ours.

If you are going to move to Arizona, you may want to look at upsizing your AC.

We have a 2006 Safari 23 and the 11k AC that is installed doesnt really keep up with summer heat in Texas. I think we are going to upsize to a 15K before next summer... which should allow us to camp year round and hang meat in the AS if we so desire.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congrats on the new baby. Have lots of great airstream adventures.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wonderful! Welcome aboard!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Well let me be the first to welcome you down to our part of the country. There are plenty of camping opportunities in this neck of the woods. Consider joining us in the Four Corners Unit of the WBCCI. We have a great time together.

What part of AZ are you going to end up in?
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
TWells

Waddell , Arizona
[QUOTE="elolson"]Well let me be the first to welcome you down to our part of the country. There are plenty of camping opportunities in this neck of the woods. Consider joining us in the Four Corners Unit of the WBCCI. We have a great time together.

What part of AZ are you going to end up?

West of Phoenix about 45 minutes. Waddell. At the foot of white tanks regional park.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
TWells

Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15
Welcome.

sounds like quite the adventure already.

Hope you will enjoy your new to you AS as much as we have enjoyed ours.

If you are going to move to Arizona, you may want to look at upsizing your AC.

We have a 2006 Safari 23 and the 11k AC that is installed doesnt really keep up with summer heat in Texas. I think we are going to upsize to a 15K before next summer... which should allow us to camp year round and hang meat in the AS if we so desire.

Dana
Guess I'll see how it goes. Thx for the info.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here's another welcome ...to Airstreaming AND to Arizona... I second elolson's suggestion of hooking up with the 4CU to come to a rally as a guest and see for yourself ... we'd love to meet you...we have a great time and there are a lot of members in the Valley ... and a lot of great places to go camping ... year-round. You're in for a great time!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
You are right in the middle of the state. That means all the great places to camp are all pretty close. Shoot me a note when you actually get to the state and are looking to head out, I can offer a suggestion or two. Dead horse rally in Feb is a hoot and will be a short drive for you. AZFLYCASTER and tbrich have camped all over the state.

A 22' is going to be a nice change from the van camper. You are going to have a great time in that thing.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote