Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to AirVintage
Finally, our 1976 International Sovereign Airstream

A couple of weeks ago, and after looking now for quite some time, we finally found our Airstream!

Always a work in progress, we took her out for the first time last weekend and everything went smoothly.....except a few things and that was a given.

We're excited to be taking her to Alabama and we leave next week! Everything should be a-ok by then. Just putting on the finishing touches.

Heather & Dwayne
with Evie, Stewart and Bella (the mini-pack of pups)

TAC OH-28
"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
AirVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome!

I bought a 1976 31' Sovereign in June of 2010 to take a trip to Michigan. I wanted to do the deferred maintenance and repair minor water damage first. As I tested the fixtures and appliances, nothing worked. As I removed and replaced all the fixtures and appliances, I happened to notice the vinyl covered plywood panels were all peeling and ugly and the drapes and the upholstery stunk and was soiled.

Short story: I gutted the trailer except for the shower and vanity top. Last summer I had a mostly new interior with new floor covering, cabinets, counter tops, and all new appliances and plumbing. I thought I was ready to go on the trip. My wife said she wouldn't be going with me until I polished the outside of the trailer, so this summer I have stripped the clearcoat and am currently buffing the trailer.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Loads of fun ahead

I like split rock got my 76. Short story mine was used as a moble home for over 25 years. I planned to clean it up a little as I knew nothing about an Airstream. Sixteen months latter and several thousand dollars and I finally have it about how I want it. Leaving Thursday for Stone Mt. Ga. For a rally. I'm now getting to use and really enjoy my AS.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Thanks for the messages about your '76 Sovereigns! As yours Splitrock, or vinyl wallpaper or whatever it is, is peeling off and the previous owners stapled it to the wall. We will be taking all of it off and painting after we remove the staples, nails, etc. This will be a project and we don't store the Airstream close to our house so it's at least a weekend project which we'll probably take it to a campground and work on it.

Luckily everything else is in pretty good shape. Have you had A/C issues? Mine blows just not cold air.

Thanks again! We're so excited to have an Airstream finally.
TAC OH-28
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I replaced air conditioner almost first thing so I'd have a cool trailer to work in. I replaced everything except the water pump so far. The axles are fine. No plans to replace them.

I'm buffing the exterior now. When that's done I'll replace the curb side awning and replace the fabric on that. Then I'll install blinds, curtains, and install new sofa and recliner that I have in storage.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Mine too

My 76 inside was horrible. Black with mold, a number of holes and lots of separation. It would have been difficult to bring it back to the level I wanted to live in. I stripped what I could, Repaired what I could. Painted the whole thing with Kilz primer, painted the end caps one inch trim and other items. I used commercial grade wall paper that matched the material on the cornice and cabinets, It really looks great. I was not real happy about the area behind the stove and sink so recently ceramic tiled it. I purchased LED strip light from Lowes to highlight it. It really sets the place off. Just a thought.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
GAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

1975 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
1975 31' Sovereign

My wife and I purchased a 1975 31' Sovereign a few months back. To our surprise most everything works. Had to replace ref. but other than that so far so good. Air blows had a buddy of mine who is an AC man refill with freon and be blowing cold ever since. But it not 100 degrees yet in Austin Tx. So we will see. Tires are my main worry. It has Marathon's ST225/75R15s currently but they are from 2007 so planning on replacing but with what there are many opinions regarding 16" wheels just don't want to pay for new wheels when my alum wheels are perfectly good. Any thoughts on tires by anyone?
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Hi Moody,

The tires were just put on before we purchased our Airstream. I believe they are Goodyear.

Here's a great article with some assistance on brands, sizes, etc. and probably cheaper to buy yourself and then have a rv dealer/service location put them on and pay the labor costs:

How to Choose the Right Tires for Your Towable RV | eHow.com

Happy shopping!

TAC OH-28

Tags
sovereign