Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
Finally here

Hey all, my names Jerry and I finally got me a 25' 1971 tradewinds. I was a traveler most of my childhood and have always wanted an airstream since I was old enouh to know what it was about. I am going to do all the refurb myself which shouldn't be too hard cuz it's in decent shape. Big question is where do I go to get vintage or upgrade parts like brake lights and marker lights as well as all the interior stuff I will work on. Anyway I'm very excited to finally be here and looking forward to the road.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Welcome Jerry
Andy at Airstream Innovations at Inland RV Center, Inc. (951) 734-8130 is one of many you will find on the forum.

Since you are in AZ you might like to look in to joining the 4CU of the WBICC .WE will be having a rally New Years at Picacho peak state park and in Feb at Dead Horse state Park at Cottonwood.
I am sure some of the other 4CU people will be here with help also.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
Welcome aboard! Boy have you come to the right place. Check out ANdy's place and the calssifieds on the site, and of course when you have something specific someone in the forum is bound to point you in the dirction of neat finds. Take time to work your way through the pages, use the search, and chances are any questions you have will be answered. Oh, we are fueled by pictures

Again, Welcome and enjoy!
Rob n Terry
Old 12-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums Jerry!
We have a growing number of members here in the valley and it is great to have another. I also have a Trade Wind, mine is a 75 with the double bed setup. There a few good places to find parts for your trailer. Some are harder to find then others. Oasis RV in Tucson is the closest place, but they do not have much of a web site. Inland RV and Vintage Trailer Supply are two places you could visit on the web.

Like Jim said, we have some pretty good rallies with the 4CU. It would be great if you could make one. If you are not ready to rally, you could always stop by for a day visit.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Welcome another AS TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiredog300
Hey all, my names Jerry and I finally got me a 25' 1971 tradewinds. I was a traveler most of my childhood and have always wanted an airstream since I was old enouh to know what it was about. I am going to do all the refurb myself which shouldn't be too hard cuz it's in decent shape. Big question is where do I go to get vintage or upgrade parts like brake lights and marker lights as well as all the interior stuff I will work on. Anyway I'm very excited to finally be here and looking forward to the road.
Welcome aboard. Take your time and work on a couple of projects at a time. I started with the furnace and the power supply. Then I replaced a couple of 12 v sockets and got the scare light to work (new switch) Later I modified my lights and replaced mnay of them. Somewhere in there was new upolstry.I put in the new vents then came the axles, and a new stereo (nothing fancy) now it is plumbing then a new antenna. Anyway, you get the idea, there is plenty to do. I have a great time with mine. After the plumbing I have to clean out the fridge vent. By that time I will be reduced to stripping and polishing unless I find something else! .

You will love your TW. These are either the largest of the small trailers or the smallest of the big trailers. You can get in most all of the small spaces and yet have a lot of room in that model. To top it off these are very light for the size.

Take your time read the various forums, they are great guides. By the way check what furnace you have. There was a redall on many of the furnaces from thsoe models. Do you really want a 35+ year old furnace and 35+ year old heat exchanger? It's a good place to start. With each project you will have another sense of accomplishment . There are forums on everything form running gear to tambour doors............go to it and welcome! Look at Andy's site for a nice brake light LED type....& look at other sites such as Led Truck Lights, Led stop lights, Led clearance lights, led Marker lights, Led trailer lights, truck lights, led strobe lights. search the forums, there are a lot of sources for just about everything listed somewhere.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the Airforums, fellow Arizonan, and congratulations on your new toy!

You might want to give Oasis RV Center (Airstream dealer and service center) in Tucson to see if they can steer you to parts, etc...they are good guys.

There's also Vintage Trail Supply: www.vintagetrailersupply.com...don't have personal experience with them, but it's worth a try...

Good luck and keep us posted...post some pictures! We love pictures!

TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
Thanks for the welcome, I will get a bunch of pics to start with, or should I say start my chronological archive (is that word used correctly). I will hit up some rallies soon so I can get more ideas. See ya all soon.

My fancy quote is "The only true failure is the failure to try."
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote