Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Finally have my dream

Stories have a way of growing as details build. Same is true for this story of our first Airstream.

I got up one day and while pouring some coffee, Karen says that she has it figured out. OK, may I have some coffee first? She goes on to say: "Since we live in Colorado and are so close to the mountains, we don't need a mountain cabin. And if we get a beach house on the Outer Banks, we would be "stuck" going there all the time."

OK, now I am listening.

She goes on to say how much she enjoyed our Coleman Mesa popup but hated all the work to get it ready to go. "Pick it up, raise it up, load it up, go and get there, raise it up, have fun, come home, raise it up, unload, close it up and back to storage. Yeah it was work but still a lot of fun." Then the big statement..... "I think we should do that again and go where ever we want when ever we want. And I know you have always liked Airstreams when we see them, so you should get one."

Stop, time out, pick me up! Did my wife just tell me to go buy my dream travel trailer?? Yep!

So now for the search. Internet is great but pictures are not like stepping inside yourself. I started taking notes of new, used, International, Globetrotter, Flying Cloud, Classic....oh so many choices. So one weekend we go up to Windish RV in Denver and check out their inventory, about 50! Well after an hour or two of going inside and comparing all the different sizes and styles, I go in to get a sales person to chat with. We go back out and go through all the Airstreams again but now with the knowledgeable source of all the details. I like the 23' and 25' units, Karen likes the 27 and 30 footers, our son is just along for the ride. Finally we get to one that had just been traded in and was not even ready to be shown. Well Karen walked in and it was just the style, colors, layout she really liked. A 2016 Flying Cloud 28' that looked brand new. So let the haggling begin! Done, happy, paid. There were a few minor things I wanted fixed, like a loose wardrobe door, shades that needed the retract reset and a leaking skylight, but Windish stepped up and corrected everything.

Graham (son) and I went up a week later to pick it up. Windish adjusted the Equilizer hitch, gave us the full tour of all the systems, verified everything was to my liking and back home our AS came!

I found a great place to store it and we have started getting everything stocked up and ready for our first trip. Hate that it is so cold now and the AS is winterized but Spring will be here soon. First trip will be to the Great Sand Dunes and then we are planning for Arizona, Wyoming, Idaho, weekend trips all over Colorado.

Events in my life have always come in 3s and the same here. First my truck hits 111000 the week I pick up the AS, second I get the AS and third, I will be retired as of noon on Friday.

We have named the AS, TINTIN. After the books by Herge - The Adventures of Tintin. Below are some pics.

And a big Thank you for this forum and the great advice I am picking up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Milage.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	302245

Name:	AS1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	302244

Name:	AS2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	302246

Name:	AS4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	302247
dkdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Yup. Living the dream. Love my Airstream and hope you will enjoy your just as much. Load her up and go have fun.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome from a fellow Colorado resident. Wow, when you folks decide to get it, you move fast! A big congratulations on your retirement and your new Airstream Flying Cloud 28'. It looks great. Much better than a pop up.

We've been Airstreamers since 05. We've been retired since 14. Both of our sons live in Colorado, so we packed up and moved here from Minnesota in 15. We thoroughly enjoy it. I must admit I'm used to towing over the mountain passes, but I'm getting better at it.

Our Airstream is an oldie but goodie. It's a 86 Limited that's been in the family since new. I've done quite a bit of renovation to it. We enjoy our spring and fall travel adventures. I also have a 75 Overlander that I'm renovating as a "family weekender" that my sons may enjoy. We'll see if I can get them interested in Airstreaming.

I find these Forums very helpful for both our traveling and my vintage Airstream hobby. Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Here we are camping in a park nearby. Very fun.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1607 Wellington Limited David (Small).JPG
Views:	129
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	302315  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats! The excitement comes through in your words!

Wishing you the best on your new AS and on your retirement!

Safe and happy travels!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I'm very excited for you!! I love the 28's!! Happy and safe travels.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Congratulations and welcome from Longmont.

In case you haven't already, check out the Colorado chapter of the Airstream Club: http://denco.wbcci.net/. The Maintenance Rally is always good, especially for newbies. May 3-5 this year.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Wonderful story and a hearty congratulations! Welcome
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
lancaster , California
welcome to the forum! I'm fairly new here myself and have not much to offer in terms of experience....but, I could not pass up meeting a fellow Herge fan.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Tin Tin books and am a little jealous of you snagging such a cool name for your rig

maybe we'll bump into one another down the road and talk Tin Tin around the campfire one day.....cheers!
Aluminaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm always afraid of achieving my dream. Then I'll have no dreams left.
However, I find retirement, an Airstream, and a map provide new dreams.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Congratulations on your new baby. May you have safe travels and many great Airstream Adventures with her.

Sometimes the universe lines up just right. Now you can relax in the mountains, the beach, and everywhere else.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Good times ahead! Enjoy the road.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #12
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Best part of your story is the retired part. Congrats! Big congrats!

An AS condo is a good plan. Being retired you can move to where the weather is nice, the view is great, and the company is interesting.

Good luck with your adventure. Post some pictures and smile. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
A great story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

You're gonna have so much fun!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote