Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

2010 19' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Finally Bought our Airstream!

After reading and researching and dreaming on and off over the past 10 years we finally bought our Airstream. We decided on a 2010 19' International CCD and purchased it in Portland, OR. at Airstream Adventures NW www.airstreamnw.com Purchasing it in the U.S. was a simple solution as the price difference and our CDN$ at par (in October) made it a terrific deal. The other deciding factor was that at Airstream Adventures NW they only sell Airstreams so we had our pick of sizes, models and styles. We had narrowed down our choice but it was great to be able to sit in each one and really take our time. The people at the dealership were fantastic. No pressure but lots of information. I liked that we were able to talk not only to a salesperson but also their head service technician Bob with any of our newbie questions and concerns.

Anyway, the main reason we wanted to post this message was that our tow vehicle is a BMW X5 and we had a problem getting a local dealer to install the brake controller as the dealers in Vancouver said, "BMW owners don't tow". Among the reasons we had purchased this vehicle was because it had a towing capacity of 6500 lbs and was diesel and we knew towing would be in our future plans. We ended up at Rasmussen BMW in Portland to have to controller installed only to arrive for our appointment to find that they had misplaced our part after we had booked the appointment a month earlier and confirmed and reconfirmed that the part was in.

Our plan had been to have the controller installed and pick up our Airstream. With the part AWOL we had to wait until BMW could airfreight another one in.

Because we were from out of town, Airstream Adventures NW let us stay in our Airstream for two nights on their lot complete with power and water. This allowed us to try everything out and have our questions answered. I think the guys there thought we were abit crazy and even offered to tow our Airstream to a nearby RV park but we were fine.

So although we were disappointed with the customer service at BMW, we were overjoyed with the service we received from our Airstream dealer.

We wanted to give everyone at Airstream Adventures NW a big shout out and thank you for not only being so professional during our sales transaction but also for being so accommodating to help us out.

Thanks Wes, Nevin, Bob and Jerry for everything!

Lastly, this forum has been so helpful in answering our questions and also answering questions that we didn't even know we'd have! The thread written by Macfrodge was particularly helpful and we printed it out and used it as reference while importing our Airstream from the US to Canada.

Not only have we purchased a first rate trailer we've joined an incredible community!
BCBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Congratulations on your purchase. Hope you enjoy your AS as much as my wife and I enjoy ours.
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Nice combo you have! Have a blast in your new baby!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Congratulations on your new Airstream. Just curious, what kind of brake controller did you get that you had to wait two days for it to be delivered?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Congratulations on your new Airstream. Another lower mainlander with a silver bullet .

There is a very active local Airstream community with lots of camp outs, etc. If you want more info, PM me and I'll send you the contact info. A great group of people, extremely friendly, very active, and a lot of fun.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington
A big congrats to you and yours and towing with a BMW is just way cool. We went vintage and love it. The new ASs are so nice. Enjoy your new AS.jjustce
jjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBambi View Post
Because we were from out of town, Airstream Adventures NW let us stay in our Airstream for two nights on their lot complete with power and water. This allowed us to try everything out and have our questions answered. I think the guys there thought we were abit crazy and even offered to tow our Airstream to a nearby RV park but we were fine...
Now that's a good way to get introduced to your new Airstream.

Good to hear that you had a pleasurable buying experience.

Welcome to AIR....

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #9

2010 19' International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Brake Controller

The brake controller is a Tekonsha P2 but it apparently has special wiring specific to BMW so it is a BMW part. We found this out as our Airstream dealer offered to supply one so we wouldn't have to wait but BMW said it wouldn't work as a substitute.
BCBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Carrollton , Texas
10 years, wow. "good things come to those who wait" Congratulations.
KL's 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Welcome to the Forums

BC Bambi: Great way to start. (Camping at the dealer's lot). Did they let you build a campfire? If you haven't read the threads by Johnco and TBRich, these two know the 19' Bambi. I recommend it---good reading.

Have fun, Randy Bowman

Photo of OB Bambi and Hans, the Toe Vehicle (No German wire harness).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	115885  
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #12

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Now that would be cool. CamAm would probally do it ! LOL
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
Welcome to the forum, We met at the RV show when I at the WBCCI Booth in the Airstream "campground". Did you get to camp on your way home? Join us at a rally next time your down our way.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Congratulations, and welcome! I'm so glad everything worked out for you - eventually! I love Airstream Adventures NW - we go there fairly often just to look around. We're happy with our Argosy, but it's a lot of fun to see the newer models and dream!

Enjoy your new aluminum baby - hope to meet you camping some day!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #15
Aluminegg

2008 19' Safari SE
Vancouver 2010 , BC - The Best Place On Earth
Looks like we have much in common. We are both from Beautiful BC, we both have 19ft Bambi's, and we both bought in the States. I've tried to buy from the local guys twice and it was most unpleasant.
Congrats on your purchase and take it out as much as possible.
...and PM Barry...great community of Airstream owners here in BC.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Awesome! Have a great time!
Going out in our new 25' CCD this weekend!
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote