Old 08-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Columbia , Missouri
Finally a legitimate member...

Hello. I have been lurking on this site for years! My friends are tired of me constantly "looking" for an Airstream and are beginning to doubt my resolve. I love the site and appreciate the volumes of information available. Someday, hopefully soon, I'll find the right unit for my family and me.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You've Drunk the Kool-Aid...

... and now we HAVE you! Buh-ha-ha-ho!

Welcome aboard. The perfect unit is out there somewhere just waiting for you - and in the mean time you won't be going camping tomorrow. None of us knows how many tomorrows we'll enjoy with good health and energy so don't wait too long to pick up that "perfect" Airstream.

For your first one... really consider "gently used" - ready to camp, but has already taken the big initial depreciation dump on someone else. You can get that one tomorrow, and when the perfect one comes along, sell it without a huge loss. While waiting for Ms. Perfect, break out the smores and CAMP!

Again Welcome! Paula

Old 08-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! We're glad you decided to say hi. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome JD,

We're glad to have with us after lurking so long. Put the doubters in their place get around to buying that Airstream soon.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:45 PM   #5

1981 31' International
Bells , Tennessee
new here too.

I am new as well. Still trying to figure things out, and how to get my questions out there. lol
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbodoll View Post
I am new as well. Still trying to figure things out, and how to get my questions out there. lol
Here's a thread that may help you some.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138...ics-44928.html

And of course you can always ask.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
JD,

Don't feel bad. We have been looking for a little over 2 years and finally found our 'perfect' Airstream.

For us it was more about the timing, then it was features. I liked the Sea Breeze decor, but not the brushed/machined look of the interior. I can't remember if I liked the dinette or not, but Airstream was very proud of the$e.

My wife and I have had some great milestones during this time, including our 25th anniversary earlier this week. We finally bought ours this week. Because of time and our work schedules I'll pick it up on August 27. Were planning on using that weekend to 'test drive' it.

We chose the 2011 25' FB Flying Cloud w/queen. We had planned on looking at an 08 27' Safari SE w/twin beds, but it sold the day or two before we showed up. The price was good, but we were looking for a queen bed. I was willing to buy the '08 because like Paula wrote, someone else ate the depreciation. In the end we got the size and options we were looking for.

There is a dealer close to you in Wentzville. I would suggest you and your significent other go and look what they have in stock. If there are any in the service bay ask if you could look in them. After our first visit, we had narrowed our size range based in part what we liked and didn't. Price also played a factor, but as we got serious this became somewhat flexible. When my wife and I each compared our list of likes and don't likes, the differences were maybe only 1 or 2 items. This helped narrow our selection. In the end they were a wash.

In the end, we found that length and floor plans went hand in hand (at least with the newer ones). You will get a lot of input on this forum. Earlier this week I had posted on the 25' vs 27'. There were a lot of good pros and cons to think about when you walk through the different trailers. You will find some of your absolutes give way to others, or you find a way to adapt. If this is your first trailer or MH then everything is new. We had a MH years ago, and that helped us develop our dislikes.

When the time is right, you'll know it because it will 'feel' right. We had a little buyers remorse on the way home, but by the time we hit Kansas City, we were wishing we had it with us. I understand Foiled Again's "you can camp tomorrow", and we wish we could, but our work schedules don't allow us both to "call in sick" for a few weeks...

Good Luck, and feel free to contact me off line...

Drew
Old 08-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I read "Finally a legitimate member..." to mean "you lot aren't legitimate, but finally I'm HERE! MUAHAHAHA!"

And then I checked myself
Old 08-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Columbia , Missouri
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! And Drew, it sounds like we have been on the same path. We have been looking for a gently used late model 25' or 27' flying cloud or safari for several years. For most of 2006/2007 I had to travel to St. Louis almost weekly and I made stopping at the dealer in Wentzville a regular part of my trek. They have been very helpful and haven't given up on me yet either!

And Dave - I never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it...
Old 08-07-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
You gotta pretend in your heart that you are a magnet and are pulling that creation in your head to yourself with a golden rope...saying to yourself in your mind that 'Everything good comes to me...everything GOOD comes to me'...
Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
JD, if you are looking strictly at pre-owned at the dealer, meet with one of the sales reps and ask him (or her) to keep you in mind/on record when they get a preowned in, as we have seen they go fast! When we were buying ours this week, we were told that in addition to us looking, that there were other dealers who are looking for 'good buys'.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hi JD and Welcome. Don't give up. It took me a year of everyday looking and several trips to a local dealer. We end up with a not so gently used Airstream 27ft and not the 34 fter I really wanted. I finally decided I could live without all the latest frills. We decided on the vintage Overlander because 1 its was priced within our budget and 2 It was 75 miles away.So I could reach out and touch it. Thats very important. DONT TAKE ANYONES WORD. SEE it for yourself.
I have lots of tools and many skills and lots of time so slowly we are bringing back the plumbing system and have already changed out the axles. Not small but doable for me. So like Paula said TIME IS SHORT. Find one you can reach out and touch and get campin and then worry about if its the right size. You didnt mention how many family members you have that will have some bearing on the size.
GOOD LUCK with your search.
kimbodoll
The ONLY STUPID QUESTIONS are the one's YOU DONT ASK.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Roger, you are right about looking at the trailer in person. The internet is good, but nothing takes the place of touching, feeling and smelling your new toy. A 25' may be exactly the same as another 25' but you will detect the differences, especially if you are going to different dealers with gaps in time... Drew
Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm not sure what "perfect" means to each individual, but I think there is no perfect Airstream old or new.

Many of us immediately start changing things to make the trailer perfect for us. For example, we added a small cabinet for microwave and printer, made the bed longer so our feet wouldn't hang off the end, added a clock, had trim added at the beltline, put on bigger wheels and better tires, etc. Most of this came from suggestions we found on this Forum, an invaluable place to learn from, and some were our own ideas. These are mostly design issues, some are performance ones.

The other "perfect" question is whether the trailer needs fixing. Because new ones often have quite a few quality control issues, buying new is a crap shoot. How often? I don't know because the evidence is anecdotal, but there are many posts about QC. There are also a lesser number of posts stating people have had no or few QC issues.

Considering the depreciation issue combined with QC, it seems wise to look for a gently used one, though some of the posts on this thread indicate it is hard to find a recent model in good shape in the 25-30' range. The good ones go fast has been said more than once on the Forum, so it seems like someone has to make looking a full time job. It may take some cross country trips, all but the last one fruitless. Maybe not completely fruitless, because each failed attempt should teach something.

If everyone is looking for a used model, who is going to buy the new ones that become used ones in several years? We have to keep the new ones flowing for the future so we can buy them in a couple of years, so someone has to buy new ones. Maybe those are the people who haven't heard of the AirForum.

Gene