Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #21
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Yes, it is expected of you to stay the night at Colonial. The point is to test out EVERY system, every electrical outlet, check for plumbing leaks, use EVERY appliance, look under and behind every cabinet for leaks, wiring issues, crushed duct work.

I found MANY issues that needed repair.

We didn't stay over. I assumed that had we stayed, we might have found a few issues that wouldn't have prevented us from using the camper but would have taken a whole day to work out. I'm glad that I just started using the camper and built a list of items to address as we moved on...
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Congratulations Bruce! Your thorough research paid off. IMO spending the night would be a good investment, and Patrick can answer your questions about meals etc.. Does your unit have a microwave? Buy some frozen dinners and eat in your new home!

Bring some paper plates and basic cutlery, spatulas etc. from home. If you get some ice, the fridge can be cold quickly for beer etc.. Advisable to have Patrick review propane operations for fridge, furnace and water heater.

Happy Trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
As part of the deal, make sure you negotiate a pop rivet gun , Supply rivets and a bottle of corrosionx before you sign on the dotted line. LOL
3.31 Diff. and Tow Package
Flo - '12 AS International Serenity M-30'
Dlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
We didn't stay, both because it wasn't offered and we needed to get back to FL. It was also December and pretty cold. If we had stayed, and if we knew what we know now, we would have probably brought some food in a cooler that we could move to the refrigerator and use to exercise the stove/oven/microwave. You could also just go out to eat and come back to the trailer.
I actually camped 2 nights at Colonial. I arrived late in the afternoon, got the keys and we did a brief walkthrough. The trailer was plugged in with the fridge already cold when I got there. I had brought a bin of kitchen stuff with me (from the previous trailer) and went to ShopRite for some groceries. I spent the evening flipping all the switches and checking all the plugs and using all the systems, though since it was about 45 degrees I didn't really get a chance to test the cooling side of the HVAC. The next day I gave them a short punchlist of what I'd found, those items were addressed and we did the more instructional walk-through while their tech was setting up the hitch. I spent part of the day working from the trailer as well, but we got all of the business done that day. I headed out early the next morning, well before they opened, to start my trip back home.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlbriggs View Post
As part of the deal, make sure you negotiate a pop rivet gun , Supply rivets and a bottle of corrosionx before you sign on the dotted line. LOL
Seriously?
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Those of you who did the overnight, does Colonial have dump facilities so I can drive home empty?
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Congratulations Bruce! Your thorough research paid off. IMO spending the night would be a good investment, and Patrick can answer your questions about meals etc.. Does your unit have a microwave? Buy some frozen dinners and eat in your new home!

Bring some paper plates and basic cutlery, spatulas etc. from home. If you get some ice, the fridge can be cold quickly for beer etc.. Advisable to have Patrick review propane operations for fridge, furnace and water heater.

Happy Trails!

Peter
Good advice. Thanks Peter. Maybe we’ll cross paths in this neck of the woods.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #28
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
New to TT. With retirement this summer and after many, many months of researching SOBs (especially videos), we did it!
We selected our 2018 Airstream 23CB International Serenity last Friday from Patrick at Colonial Airstream. Class operation!
Pickup and orientation will be on April 25. I feel like a new father again!
This is gonna be fun!
Congratulations on your new Airstream... we have a bit of an earlier version of your 'Serenity' and absolutely love it.

Let me invite you to come hang out over at the "23D" thread with other like minded folks... you can find us here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ad-166085.html and I'm sure you will find that thread informative and occasionally entertaining.

Rob

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Seriously?
Seriously. Corrosion is not covered under warranty and you will have corrosion. Just as an example, make sure that the rock guards do not come in contact with the aluminum skin. One of my rock guards had been rubbing and corroding and I didn't know it until I opened the rock guards to give it its first bath.

Something else you might want to think about, the clearance lights are mounted with self threading zinc-plated screws. Zinc and aluminum are electrolytic enemies. In four or five years you will have irreparable damage to the skin underneath those lights, and won't know it unless you pull the lights off.

Corrosion X will reduce the probability but won't stop it. The only thing that will stop it is aluminum screws. High quality Stainless steel screws will slow it down.

I lost 10 interior rivets on the initial trip home and replace 1 or 2 a month. They call it "live riveted " for a reason.

I'm sure there are tons of other comments of this nature, I'm not sure where you would find them. This forum would be a good place to start.

I have learned so much from the Old Masters who post on this forum.
3.31 Diff. and Tow Package
Flo - '12 AS International Serenity M-30'
Dlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Welcome from another newby AS owner! Love Patrick’s videos!! We picked our FC 25 FB up in Florida in March. You are gonna love your new digs! Ours has not popped a rivet yet, should I be expecting this??

2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 25FBQ w/Solar | Hensley Arrow
Tow Vehicle - 2004 Ford Excursion Limited PSD 4x4
Haulin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Staying couple nights

Quote:
Patrick said to plan on sleeping over in their compound. Anybody do this? How did you do meals? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Plan on picking up your new 23CB (We have a 2017 23D we purchased at Colonial) on a Monday. Plan on staying at least one night to check all systems and look at all the fit and finish items. If something needs adjustments (it will), you have plenty of time to get it corrected. Colonial is very good. Our salesperson was Nick and took very good care. If you are having them install an Equalizer hitch, have the technician spend a few minutes explaining the set up details. Again, try every system out and make sure you are comfortable turning everything on and off. Welcome to the wonderful of Airstream. It is a great community. We love our International Serenity 23D. (now called a 23CB)
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Coopersburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Those of you who did the overnight, does Colonial have dump facilities so I can drive home empty?
Yes.
BillF95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Congratulations on your new Airstream... we have a bit of an earlier version of your 'Serenity' and absolutely love it.

Let me invite you to come hang out over at the "23D" thread with other like minded folks... you can find us here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ad-166085.html and I'm sure you will find that thread informative and occasionally entertaining.

Rob
Thanks Rob. I’ve been ghosting the 23D site when we were in the process of deciding which model to choose.

The mods by you guys are intimidating, especially your woodwork and troutboy’s solar upgrades. Thanks to GMFL, I am having Colonial install the Dometic 321 at orientation.

I am hoping all systems check out out during pickup. Fingers and toes are crossed.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF95 View Post
Yes.
Sweet! Thank you, BillF95
Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Trash bag

Greetings.
I know I read this somewhere but I can’t find it now. Does anyone know the undersink trash can size for replacement plastic bags?
Old 04-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #36

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Greetings.
I know I read this somewhere but I can’t find it now. Does anyone know the undersink trash can size for replacement plastic bags?
I use the 8-gallon "medium" size. It's quite a bit bigger than the actual under-cabinet bin, so there's plenty of bag rolled over the lip of the bin and I can always get the bag out without spilling stuff piled on top of the bin, and have a bit of room leftover to add a few odds and ends before I take the bag to the dumpster. Some stores seem to go right from 4-gal (slightly too small) to 13-gal tall-kitchen (WAY too big) but I've always managed to find a box of new ones before I run out of the previous box.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
Trash Can

Quote:
Greetings.
I found the thread. It’s a Rubbermaid #2955 - which is a 3 1/2 gallon can.

Here is the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Co...ubbermaid+2955