Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Filling dreams

Hello, We are new here and have been bitten by the 'bug'. We myself, Barry and my bride of 36 years Karen finally retired and are pursuing our life dreams... We are 'hotrodders' and are in the process of finishing an old 51 Ford woodie. While doing so we visited a great show in Flint Mich. that also included 'vintage' trailers. The one that stood out to us, ( they were all cool) was an older Airstream... I think a Caraveal(?).

Because we travel some we thought it might be fun to find an older one , a"fix-it up", spend some time getting aquainted with it, and hit the road to some of the farther away shows .

Anyway, that is a brief rundown of how we ended up on this site. Glad to be here and hope to continue our dreams...
Thanks
Barry & Karen
btw any suggestions on ways to find 'the right' trailer for us?
Thanks
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Welcome to the forums. I wish you the best in finding the perfect AS for your needs.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Bee Cave , Texas
welcome

Hi, we have a 1969 Caravel and perhaps that is the one you were referring to. It has the dinette in the front and the bed in the back with a bath on the streetside. We love the floorplan. It was only done in 1969,1970 and 1961. The other years, the bed was acrossed from the kitchen sink. Our floorplan is like the newer Bambi's. Hope that can help you.
Beecavetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi, Barry and Karen

Neat to hear from Saline. Our degrees are from Michigan, and I taught band at Belleville H.S. in the early 70's.

Linda and I got "bitten" just like you this year. We got our dream AS in the Spring and have had a ball with it since.

While you must be good with tools and fixing mechanical things, you might want to consider something from the last 15 years or so. If you get a nice one, as we were fortunate to do, the amount of "fix-up" is just enough to keep you interested while you CAN get out and enjoy the road with it right away.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Thanks Greg, hope you are enjoying 'the open roads' of this great country. We would entertain even an AS of that era , but they seem to be hard as hen's teeth to find... Like I said we are just beginning to look, ( well actually for several months now) and are having a hard time of it. Maybe there is some special inter circle that they revolve around in that we haven't stumbled onto yet<G>, ideas?
A globetrotter seems to be where we are leaning now having gone and visited one yesterday that wasn't for sale , but had a good keeper which allowed us to tour it.
I was born and raised in Ypsilanti, did a career with FoMoCo.(38 1/2 years) and am 3 years into our new life, enjoying our GKs and our new found freedom, just wish we could pull anchor and be out there with all you free spirits<G>
Thanks again,
Barry and Karen
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Yep, we're having a ball. We've pulled over 11,000 miles so far this year, with many more to come. For finding your dream AS, take you time. There'd are, of course, the classifieds on this forum, but we got our at http://www.rvtraderonline.com/ from an owner in Columbia, SC. He had taken great care of it.

We narrowed our search down to queen back bedroom, and over 27 feet. That made looking a lot easier. Go for it, and the folks on this forum are positively super about helping. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Welcome to the forum

I have gazed at a little Airstream every day for nine years on the way to and from work. Now she is MINE ALL MINE. I am totally hooked. She is a 62' Globe Trotter (19') and is just the right size. We have a brawny tow vehicle but do not need a huge trailer. My husband and I want to travel on the back roads of this continent with minimal fuss and bother, we don't want to go "Glamping". Somewhere to sleep, comfy gauchos to curl up on on rainy days and read our books, our very own cups and toilet paper, that's all we ask.
My Bubbles needs a tummy tuck, facelift and chassis work but all in good time, I believe she will be beautiful, and she is the right size for us.
Good luck, I really hope you find your baby soon.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote