Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #1

Feeling Overwhelmed

Just joined. Hope to be able to gain some knowledge from others who have tackled the task of restoring a vintage airstream. As a little girl I had always been fasinated by the silver bullet and wanted to have one for myself one day. Was I ever surprised when I threw in a bid and won the beauty. Never pulled a camper in my life but set out alone from eastern North Carolina to New Mexico to bring it home, it had been owned by a movie studio and I just knew Paul Newman had used it has his dressing room, however,the interior told me that was not true, and now the real work begins. Feeling very inadequate at times, seems that close inspections just turn up new tasks to be performed, and its not like I can go to a local hardware store and pick up parts. I shall do my best not to get discouraged and to learn everything I can about my new project.

Hope to learn from you all.
atsnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Great first post.
We all remember some dream we've had since we were little girls or boys. One of having something or doing something or going to some singular place.
Alas, when we got to be adults we realize how big a task this dream will be to fulfill. And sometimes we are overwhelmed.

But the dream must have been worthwhile or we wouldn't have kept it this long.
So perhaps if you remember your first nuptials, or birth or mortgage or even job - how daunting they were going into them. And yet you're still with us, and you've grown and profited by the experiences.
Airstreams are small compared to those other things.
You've got courage enough to set out alone and pull that thing home.
I doubt there's much that could prevent you from keeping and living your dreams.
Welcome to the forums.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Found the Forums -- great start!

Howdy atsnana and welcome to the Forums! Every participating member has one foot set here, one foot set over there ... running out of feet here. I'm trying to say that any individual may offer only partial information for any question du jour. This is a very good source of cumulative experiences, but please take any single answer with a grain of salt. Feel free to ask, "Come again?"

The search function is always a good place to start. The number of Search returns can be numbing unless you give it at least 2 or 3 keywords. There have been some awesome threads on most any subject -- fortunately it is quick to click thru search responses (open in new window!). You might do okay if you hit 'Reply' at the bottom of an old thread and rephrase your specific question. Or you can always go to the most appropriate sub-forum on the Forums page -- Start a thread if nothing seems to fit. There are no rules and kindness carries far. Browsing and spending a lot of time in research will produce more ideas about what you need to pursue. Bet you've already been there, eh?

Lastly -- hang in there. Restoring takes many steps and will be a long haul. Ask about reputable Airstream repair people in your area if you need help with furnaces, water heaters, etc. Stay roadworthy by watching your tires, wheel bearings, hitch, tow vehicle, weight distribution, 7-pin connector, breakaway switch, etc. There -- you've got an aluminum tent! At least you can haul that, a cooler and grill to go anywhere!!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on the acquisition of your fine airstream! As the relatively new owner (end of last summer) of a similar vintage (68) coach, I fully understand where you are coming from. Canoe stream gave you some great advice on using the search tool, use it and use it often.

What I have chosen to do with my airstream, which may or may not be a usefull idea for you, is to get it in working conditon so I can use it, list all the upgrades and repairs I want do, and then prioritize that list.

Several folks have a single ongoing thread that documents their progess on their coaches. These are kinda neat, and you may wish to do the same. Figure out how to post pics in your post if you dont know how already. This is important for a couple of reasons; 1) we are all airstream junkies here and love to look at them, and 2) pictures make it much much easier to see what is going on and hence, makes it easier to give advice.

Anyway, I have no doubt that you will do fine with your camper and will make it a show piece that you will enjoy on the road for years to come.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Been There, Still There and Love It

We have not talked much about bringing our beauty home 6 years ago. I was traveling down a 1 lane dirt road off a steep mountain in Vermont. The hitch and brakes were not set up properly. I was stressed out and the truck overheated. We have not done much to it but we use it. Our Tradewind is special for the two of us; the time we spend in it. It may or not be renovated but it should be. No matter. Enjoy what you have. Do what you can, when you can. There is a treasure of experience here on the Forum, and neat people to help you. R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
if there is nothing to fix, something is going to go wrong!

hey that might be my signature?!

welcome
crowbar
crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Yep, if there's nothing to fix, you're just not paying attention.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome!

The messages about learning clever searching are good ones... General Disarray's message about making a list and prioritizing it is also very helpful...

Here are several other suggestions:

1. Build a list of possible sources for parts, both Airstream-unique and RV general... There are lots of choices, including some who advertise or post here, and eventually you can find almost anything you need...

2. Decide how much you're willing to tackle versus having someone else do for hire, and then find a competent and honest shop able to work on Airstreams. Each of those words matters! If you decide to do it all yourself, at least line up some helpers and moral support.

3. It's better to use it as a metal-sided wood-floored tent with wheels than to park it and leave it until you can get around to it... Some of these projects have a way of evolving into yard sculptures if left alone too long, and the work becomes more daunting the longer it is contemplated...

Good luck, and let us know when you need help...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I felt sooo overwhelmed and even a little depressed when we brought ours home and I realized this is not at all like remodeling a house. However as time went on I learned a few things:

It's not rocket science. Keep reading as many posts as you can, and it will begin to make sense.

Do one thing at a time. Try to focus on getting that thing done before you look too far ahead and get worried.

There are lots of people here who haven't done it ever before either, and we're all sort of lurching in the right direction. Some have done it several times and are experts, and everyone's helpful.

DON"T THROW ANYTHING AWAY until you're sure you won't be using it. Especially the bathroom of your '66!

Parts are out there and you don't have to necessarily scour junkyards for them.

Post pictures of your new-to-you rig! Maybe we can throw some advice on what to do first.

You've obviously got the drive and nerve to do this if you towed one home all by yourself. Right on!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
All great advise so far. if I could add something, it would be to go ahead and make that list, number the items by priority and visualize all of the things that you want or need to do. By visualizing and referring to your list, you'll find that certain things need to be done in a particular order because of necessity. As example; don't put on new brakes if you're going to install a new axle. Yes, this seems pretty obvious but other things won't be. Think things completely through, beginning to end and you'll find it is a big puzzle. Work on one piece or area at a time and, when done, consider it a small victory. If you only see the big picture, is will always look like a chore and not a sense of pride and accomplishment.

You can do this, we can help with long distance assistance. Oh and welcome to the Forums. You'll feel right at home here in no time. Post some pictures when you can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Making a list like that can also be quite comical when you look back on it after a few months of work and realize "holy crap, I had no idea what I was getting myself into back when I made that list!"
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Another 2 cents

When you make your list seperate it into "needs" and "wants" . Needs are things to make it roadworthy , tires,brakes,axels,frame,hitch and running lights. Needs are also things to make it safe , gas system,water system,and electric system.Now you can use it . I have tried to tackle at least one of my wants every year , it's an ongoing process . I have found that my wants have changed a bit over the years after actually using it and finding out what works and what doesn't . Good luck and don't lose heart
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I'll add another view of this. You have "needs" and you have "wants" and I have "Jan wants". My wife is Jan. You guess what gets done first...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Dear Overwhelmed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsnana
Feeling very inadequate at times, seems that close inspections just turn up new tasks to be performed, and its not like I can go to a local hardware store and pick up parts. I shall do my best not to get discouraged and to learn everything I can about my new project.

Hope to learn from you all.
Sometimes it's less overwhelming to divide all the multitudinous into different categories based on their importance.

First make it roadworthy; tires, wheels, brakes, bearings. Replace axles if necessary.

Second, make it functional. Get everything in working order; H2O system, H2O heater, furnace, fridge.

Third Make it esthetically pleasing and pleasant to use.

It would be human nature to do the third step first, especially for a woman who is more inclined to the esthetic than the technical. Please don't fall into that trap.
Projects become longer and more expensive when we do step three first only to discover that we must rip out that which we have already done to fix some problem with plumbing, wiring, or flooring. (Don't ask me how I know this or how many times I have had to relearn this...)

That doesn't mean you can't give it a thorough cleaning and make it habitable, just save the major interior beautification until you've completed steps one and two.

I hope this helps!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #15

1965 26' Overlander
Knoxville , Tennessee
We have a '65- when we got it the entire bathroom floor had rotted and collapsed into the waste tank- I reckon that was our most daunting task. Maybe we could help with some tips too since ours are so similar.
tommash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
overwhelmed

We all have been there like stated above. Just remember you dont have to do everything at once. The main thing in my book is to re-seal the outside (everything) then have all the running gear checked and fixed. And then the fun part the inside. We have been working on ours since last November and I get overwhelmed almost everyday. We also wanted to use it and not for a yard ornament so we camp almost every weekend and fix as we go. It is lots of fun. I have found this forums is like a family so if you have a problem ask away and it will be answered and always remember no question is dumb we all have been there. Welcome to the forums.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, for a start, if it's in NC now, you got it home. That counts for a lot!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I feel your pain,

I almost stopped to look at a early 70's Tradewind the other day. Looked almost like my ex-Overlander did when I got it back in 2003. I ended up just keepin' on driving. Damn that was a lot of work, I think I still have stains in the washer from the cyclo wraps.

I would say most every one ever so inclined to be a DIY'er RV'er should embark upon such an endeavour at least once in their life, restoring an Airstream that is. Seems I am running across derelict Airstreams more and more here lately, who knows maybe they are indeed calling me once again.

I still have my cyclo polisher if any of ya'll are wondering,,,,,
Old 06-21-2006, 09:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Time to Kiss Another Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
I feel your pain,

Seems I am running across derelict Airstreams more and more here lately, who knows maybe they are indeed calling me once again.

I still have my cyclo polisher if any of ya'll are wondering,,,,,
Who knows, maybe it's time to kiss another toad. http://www.airforums.com/forum...tml#post240865 and turn it into a beautiful princess.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Santa Barbara , California
Feeling very inadequate at times, seems that close inspections just turn up new tasks to be performed, and its not like I can go to a local hardware store and pick up parts. I shall do my best not to get discouraged and to learn everything I can about my new project.

Hi ATSNANA -

Your title heading caught my eye, because I'm a new airstreamer with the same overwhelmed feeling. You received some great advice, however, and I'm going to "borrow" some of it as I plan my 1967 Safari restoration project.

I've had my trailer for less than a month. My to do list is longer than my arm, and still growing everyday. Today, I was taking measurements for curtains and new cushion covers and stumbled across a mummified rat in the bathroom closet! Wow, that was a shocker! So, add disinfectant to the list....

...and some therapy sessions for my four year old who was in the trailer with me and had to witness me freaking out!

Anyway, just wanted you to know you're not alone. I will keep prioritizing my to do list while vowing to have fun with the trailer in the meantime!