Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Airstream is the only proven candidate if you are wanting this purchase to still be in travel condition when the kiddies are gone in 10 years. Personally I would use the advise of the forums and find a unit in the 2 to 5 year old category that has already had the little things fixed and useful upgrades done.

1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Good point. Our 2007 was purchased after the original owners worked out all the bugs, took one trip, and decided it was too small.

Have had zero issues with the Airstream. That said, son had a GYM rip itself to shreds and do massive damage to the streetside wheel well. Insurance covered the repairs.

All we do is use it, and improve it. Stuff like ProPride Hitch system, LED lights throughout, tankless water heater replacement, and other upgrades don't count as 'QA issues'.

Only thing we have done is make sure the infamous bumper storage area was properly sealed, and we watch for leaks...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Great introductory post, OP.

My grandparents travelled the US, Canada and Mexico after he retired in the mid-1960s with a 28' Streamline. . My folks already loved travel by car and wound up with a 28' Silver Streak. Sold it after 27-years.

I see there are those who try to custom-fit today, and leave out tomorrow in a trailer purchase. Our family of five travelled in a luxury car and yours truly slept on an air mattress on the kitchen floor. Sisters on fold-out couch and parents on the twin beds (conventional rear bath layout). Trips were weekends to an annual summer trip of 3-4 weeks. Continent-wide.

Cramped? Hardly. We chased shirtsleeve weather, but had the luxury of central heating and cooling. Hot water on demand. Refrigerator/freezer. Etc. a full set of awnings goes a long way.

I recommend not getting stuck on some amenities seen somehow as necessary today. And that the trailer suit you and your wife when alone. (Context).

Buy once (as the goal). In that 27-years my folks had but two tow vehicles. It's not they couldn't have done otherwise, but prudence proved out well. A very low overall annual cost.

The point is to go. Just go. Add clothing and food. Nothing else is needed. Wave goodbye to the neighbors.

An alternative to new or slightly used is one of the vintage kin brands. An Avion or Silver Streak is lower in purchase price, much better built (Airstream was the bargain brand), and though both are now long out of production, it's still possible to find them in near original condition. Appliance replacement, cosmetic updates (factory quality isn't cheap, but value increases greatly; I advise against rebuilding interior; nonetheless, see threads by Skatero), and a general go-over will often suffice.

I'm only recommending an alternative set of choice criteria, and a wider range of possible choices by brand and age.

There are threads on of these, and much more. Take your time.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
We love ours. Loved the last one too, a 2012 that was too small. Not gonna camp in a particle board box trailer.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Open field , Idaho
Good points on most users joining forums to find solutions to problems....and many, many others not as they don't have a problem to solve. I have seen that in several other forums that I participate in.

Our local dealer is having a fall event today and we decided to take the drive to check them out some more...kids happen to be out of school for the day as well so they should be all worked up. This will be there first time looking in person, rather than just youtube. Hoping we can keep them at a reasonable level of crazy

They don't have a 30FB Bunk in stock at the moment but we figured we would still like to look through some more....they do have a 30 lounge in and it looks like the bedroom and the kitchen layouts are basically the same. Chance to oooh and ahhh at the shinny.

MrArrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote