Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
Experienced at trailering, new to Airstream

For 25 years my wife and I have taken our three girls and their friends on various trips and vacations - vans, trailers, boats, canal boats in Europe. Now it's time for another scheme. I've always wanted an Airstream, and caught my wife half asleep ("get what you want, just let me sleep") AHA! So I bid on eBay and won a "fair condition" 1971 24 footer on the far side of the country. I haven't seen it yet up close and personal, but for $3250 how bad can it be? Based on the serial number, it's a 1972 Trade Wind Land Yacht, with twin beds and a rear bath. Is this right - L25TZJ1939. The Z is probably a 2. So I got another two feet of trailer. We really prefer a double bed toward the rear, so we'll be looking for the "modifications" section of your fine web site. Our tow vehicle is a very "experienced" 1989 Ford Van, the stretch model with a big engine. I enjoy working on such projects, and am looking forward to retirement and visiting our grand country. The problem of the moment is whether to sell the 24 ft sailboat, which is getting lonesome already. Just not enough hours for ALL the hobbies and interests.

So I would appreciate direction toward sites or expertise specializing in interiors. Our home is a Craftsman Bungalow, it's only a few years old, but looks like 1920 already, and I'm thinking of the same sort of theme for the 'stream. I'm a reasonably proficient carpenter, electrician, plumber, et al.

By the way, I know where there are two derelict trailers available for tow away in San Mateo County, CA. They're rough, and have no paperwork. One is an early 60's Shasta, the other is a '54 Spartanette. Both classics, and both in need of serious money and time. Eventually they'll get crunched, so if you know of someone interested, please contact me at 650-867-5018. jim

jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Welcome to the forum Jim. You have come to the right place for information on restoring a vintage Airstream. I have two left hands and they are both all thumbs so I didn't go vintage but I admire the seasoned units. There are many people on this web site that have customized the interior of their Airstreams rather than go for the "fresh from the factory" look.

There is a search button in the blue bar above the advertisement bar that can help you find most anything you might be looking for. If you can't find it with the search function, you can always get a response to a new thread on any topic.

I'm sure someone is going to chime in and ask for pictures of your new find so I'll go ahead and do it now. We all love to see photos of the before and after so when you pick up your new baby post some pictures. It's easy, just use the "Go Advanced" link below and scroll down to the "Manage Attachment" function and you'll be on your way.

Good luck with your new project and, again, welcome to the

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
From the VIN, you have a 1972 Tradewind, as you have surmised.

L25T2J1939 translates to Land Yacht (not an International series, which is a higher trim level typically found on the larger trailers), 25 feet (Tradewind), Twin bed layout, 1972, built in Jackson Center, Ohio, number 1939 that year.

VINs can get messed with. The first digit of mine is an "I", which was changed to a "1" (one) on the paperwork because vehicle registrations in the jurisdiction where it was first registered can't include an "I".
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
Horton Bay , Michigan
VIN Location

Speaking of VIN's, I have an airstream (1970 31' Sovereign) that came with some property that I bought. Where is the VIN located on the trailer? I have the title which has the VIN, but I would like to make sure it matches the trailer.

Thanks for letting me butt in your thread....
UpNorthAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Villa Ridge , Missouri
The VIN is on a plate under the window to the right-hand side of the entry door as you are facing the door (i.e. toward the front of the trailer).
Ben & Molly (but Ben never types, so it's always Molly )
Midamrail is offline   Reply With Quote