Old 02-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
1973 31' Excella 500
1973 31' Excella 500
St. Paul , Minnesota
Excited first time owners of '73 Excella 500

Hi there! After about 5 years of fantasizing, and 1 year of researching / shopping, my husband and I finally purchased our first Airstream this past summer. I almost can't believe it's ours!

It's a great story because it's really not at all what we thought we were looking for - too old, too long, not the right layout, etc. and we had made the 11 hour round-trip drive to look at a different Airstream. But when we saw this one, we realized it was meant to be. It just feels right.

It has been well taken of, but still needs a little work which we will finish up this Spring. And a name, can't hit the road without a name, right? Right now our inaugural trip is planned for July, but maybe we can get things done quicker and plan something earlier than that.

We have two little girls - ages 4 and 6 - we homeschool and are planning on taking extended family trips. The girls are really looking forward to all the adventures we are planning to have in our Airstream. Can't wait for the Minnesota weather to warm up so we get on it!

I've attached a few images here, and the rest are on my blog where I plan to document our renovations and travels.

Thanks for reading and for all the great information and advice!

ArtofLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Those kids are going to have stories to tell... Good looking trailer! You missed the perfect trailer by one year, but I'm just biased that way.

Just kidding there, the perfect trailer is the one you're out making memories in.

-Red, '74 fanatic...

Somebody ought to clean these windows. There is a tremendous buildup of gook all over them...
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
1973 31' Excella 500
1973 31' Excella 500
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thanks, Red! P.S. I'm from Florida, too! We will be headed back that way soon enough.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Red covered it! Enjoy every moment with the kiddos! You are more blessed than you may realize to be able to have this dream become living memory... I am not completely jealous...but looking forward to hearing the adventures!!!

Since you will be traveling, take time to watch "The Long, Long Trailer" by Lucille Ball and Ricky Ricardo if you haven't. It gives a humorous look at "weights and balance", hitch and Tow Vehicle consideration, having ONE spotter when parking the AS, and many more....and heed the examples.

Remember, you will never be a complete failure, you will either be a wonderful example or a terrible warning! 😙😜

Peace and blessings...
Channing and Phyllis.
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
That is a beautiful, well-kept trailer. Congratulations, and enjoy!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome Artolife, I am always pleased to meet another Minnesotan. There are several Forum participants from Minnesota, like there is from every state.

Your 73 sure looks well kept. Make sure you check it out thoroughly before your first trip. Good maintenance saves disappointments. I'll always remember having to remove and repair my furnace on one of my trips on a cold March Sunday. Not a real fun job while in a campground.

Here is a picture of an old Excella. It is not nearly as nice as yours. Needs TLC as they say. But crazy people like me enjoy renovating these old trailers and getting them back on the road.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1407 Excella 500 at Prospect Curb.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	232482  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
1973 31' Excella 500
1973 31' Excella 500
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thank you for the warm welcome, everyone!

@cwf - definitely going to check out that movie - love Lucy & Ricky!

@dbj216 - I actually even know some people from Delano - small world! We are lucky, our Airstream has been very well kept. Along with the purchase we got a packet that contained every receipt / document for everything that has ever been done and every sale / purchase made. Usually a good sign when people are that meticulous with paperwork. Also fun to have the historical record.