Old 12-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
The Spartanette was....

I believe the Spartanette was constructed as a hauler for a classic Lincoln. Poster was something with an 'R' in the name.... drawing a blank on the rest....! Sorry!

Believe he was posting originally, looking for something to haul his new construct - AS MH?... That might help the search, or not. It was a beautiful project with LOTS of ingenuity, and lots of know-how on the construct ... Self leveling, overkill brakes (is that not how they should ALL be???), and interior befitting a concours - the designed use, as I recall. 1st class work! Wish I could afford such a unit!!!!!!

Not sure that the wreck that resulted in the 1st trip, was related to the load (or maybe the Porch was to far astern!?) but I do know that the resulting "lesson" was one of 'BE CAREFUL'!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are LOTS of variables at play here, and even one with LOTS of thought and know-how, still can get squirrely when conditions present.....

These trailers ( that is what they are after all!) are designed for a VERY specific set of parameters, when you go outside that set, you are asking for HUGE $'s and serious engineering...! Not saying it can't be done, there are just many more efficient way, $'s and time, and materials wise...

It's your money, your time and your materials (trailer, TV, life, etc...). You need to do the math!

Your equation results will likely be different than mine....

Have fun with the 'out of the box' thinking, and be safe!!! Remember, I DO NOT want to be ANYWHERE around you if you are unsafe on the road.... nobody else either! They may just not know, what we know....Seriously.

Ciao!

Axel

Old 12-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Here is a link to the Spartan that was converted into a car hauler.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...uck-23906.html

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 AM   #17
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
...I saw a guy on here somewhere who did a really cool thing: He made like double doors up in the side where the normal door is and could pull his bike into the trailer sideways. That put the weight of the bike just ahead of the axles, where it's safe and won't hurt the handling. It'd work fine for one bike, and I'm considering something like that for my own. For two bikes, I don't know....
I had thought of the idea of enlarging the entry door, reconfiguring the goucho and carrying the bikes in the front of the coach laterally last night after I shut down. This would provide much better handling and stability. You would need a 3/4 ton tow vehicle at least if not a 1 ton. But you would be much more happy with the result IMHO.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:12 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Gardner , Kansas
Tow Vehicle not a problem.

My tow vehicle is a 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab diesel/stick. This is why I have considered a trailer in lieu of a MH. I tow a 2.5 ton enclosed work trailer daily (Eaglebody, all steel). Not sure I want to under take this project strickley due to time and money.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:20 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Here is a link to the Spartan that was converted into a car hauler.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...uck-23906.html
I don't think I ever saw that thread. Pretty interesting....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
It's not that I don't think you can or that I don't think you should. I would just compare taking a fine tuned RV like an Airstream and converting it to a toy hauler is similar to turning a Ferrari into an SUV. It can be done, but not sure you will be happy with the results.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #21
Old Paint, rolling again.

1973 Argosy 20
Lorain County , Ohio
Thumbs up Santa: The original "Toy Hauler"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnorman
Hello everyone. Found this site and a 1979 27ft (?) Excella 500. Bought it yesterday.....Mike
Hi Mike, Welcome to the forums. Though I am unencumbered by a knowledge of engineering I feel it's free thinkers like you that keep this place interesting. The Spartanette guy, Barry Wolk,has a web site with many more pictures that you might find interesting. To paraphase a quote in his guestbook: MOTHER OF POLISHED ALUMINUM AND PERSEVERANCE!

BTW, I think that a Ferrari SUV might be cool. What else would one of such standing drive, a Porsche SUV?

Best wishes,

Steve

Have you never questioned those who travel? Have you paid no regard to their accounts- Job 21:29
sfixx is offline   Reply With Quote