Old 12-20-2011, 04:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
EU Newbies

Hi All,
Hello all from two UK based newbies.
We are pleased to advise we've just completed the purchase of a 1964 Globetrotter and it's now waiting for some US purchased goodies to be loaded on before being shipped to us in UK.
We're sorry to be taking her away from her homeland, but I promise she will be well looked after over this side. (Oh, they are she's, aren't they?)
Our plan is to revamp her inside and out, before touring Europe using our Audi Allroad Quattro as a TV.
The site is great, and you can be sure we'll continue to ask questions and hopefully continue to get the help we need.
Our thanks in advance for that.
Merry Xmas all.
Cheers
Sue and John

Old 12-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sue and John

What a great towing combo-an Audi Allroad and a 64 GT. Welcome to the Forum. I would say that you are going to have a blast touring around Europe and places.

I have relatives in England as my aunt married a serviceman after the war.

I hope it is not too difficult getting your Airstream ready for traveling. I have heard that the requirements can be difficult to meet.

Dan

Old 12-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the welcome.
So far the shipping firm have only asked that all internal items are secured in place, that any propane tanks are emptied or removed, and that the trailer is ready to tow for her journey half way cross America. She is too tall to fit into a 20 foot container, so will be RORO shipped. If I find there's more involved then I will keep you all posted.
Cheers
John
Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Yay for you guys! Enjoy your silver caravan. We sure love ours.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Munich , Bavarian
Hi John, bevor I found my airstream I watched a travel overlander in munich.
Sombody imorted this one to Germany. The transport company called the owner because the aircon was to high for a container shipping. What else they asked about cutting of the aircon,and last but not least they did it. The result was a big bad hole in the roof and mess inside the trailer. Just for Info. be carefull with the shipping company
best regards from munich
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Sue and John,

Congratulations from across the pond and welcome to the Airstream family. We just purchased ours last summer and are really enjoying it. This forum is great! I too hope all goes well for the silver treasure's trip to its new home.

When you have a chance, pictures are always welcome.

Regards,
David
Old 12-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
You may want to send a Private Message (PM) to " TinCrumpet". They imported an Airstream motorhome to central England a year or so ago. She keeps a running thread here which starts with the importation process.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 02:51 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmayer1 View Post
Hi John, bevor I found my airstream I watched a travel overlander in munich.
Sombody imorted this one to Germany. The transport company called the owner because the aircon was to high for a container shipping. What else they asked about cutting of the aircon,and last but not least they did it. The result was a big bad hole in the roof and mess inside the trailer. Just for Info. be carefull with the shipping company
best regards from munich
Hi,
Thanks for the information, but the shippers know not to try and remove anything from our GT.
And in case anyone else wishes to ship internationally, understand the max height you can roll into a container is 8 feet 10 inches. And no, you cannot deflate tyres......
So as our GT is a minimum of 9 feet tall (9 feet is the
official specification plus maybe 6 inches more for the offset rooftop aircon) we have to ship it roll on - roll off (RORO).
I would guess the risk of exterior damage is higher RORO than if inside a container, but if it don't fit, then it don't fit - and we have to work around that.
Aso found out you cannot ship used propane cylinders
unless they've been cleaned by a third party firm and you've paperwork to prove it.
That's not worrying us as we've a new alloy Worthington coming over inside the trailer.....but just another little quirk anyone else should remember when shipping overseas.
Merry Christmas all.
John
Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Wow that is going to be pretty sweet! How much work has to be done? Post pics and Welcome!
Old 01-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Wow that is going to be pretty sweet! How much work has to be done? Post pics and Welcome!
Hi and thanks for the welcome.
We've not GOT to do much work, but probably will - if you know what I mean.
The trailer is in good order (although I've only seen photos) but to meet EU regulations we've to add reflectors, new indicator lamps, an electric brake controller to our Audi A6, replace the 2" US hitch with a 50mm version, just to bve able to trail it.
Then we want to add a 220v to 110v converter, a second set of internal wiring to carry 220v, change the sinktop, oven, probably fridge, along with an internal makeover using rounded edges, more wood, more shiney alloy edges, more red / silver / grey.......all in a more art deco style.
Phew.
Its going to be a job sourcing 'new' bits that fit in with the style, but guess that's part of the fun.
I'll certainly post pictures once its all done...we'll crack on once it arrives in the UK as our goal is to have her in use for this summer......
Cheers
JOHN
Old 01-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
FWIW if anyone else is buying a vintage unit from the US and exporting to thier homeland, be aware when shipping RORO you can't load any loose items inside the trailer. Seems the customs people need access to the inside when at the port 24/7 so the trailers have to stay unlocked. Hence the shippers cannot insure content or guarantee it will arrive intact. The trailer has to be emptied.

Its a shame as we purchased quite a few US made items and had them delivered to our vendor for shipment inside the trailer.

We've now got to get it all repacked and shipped seperately. A real PITA so be sure if you are in the same situation, you don't do as we did.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 01-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
kendal , cumbria, UK
Hi John & Sue,

Welcome to Airforums. We're sure you will find useful & helpful information on this site - we have in the past.

There is no need to run separate 230v wires for your wall sockets (receptacles). Just change the wires over at the distribution unit/load center. Note different colour code : black - hot, white - neutral. We used all original wiring as fitted by Airstream Inc.

Good luck with your restoration when the Globetrotter lands in the UK - bet you cannot wait.

John & Carole in the UK
Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
It's good that you will have to ship your additional purchases separately as there is a great possibility that loose items may not make it into your hands, if you know what I mean. Indeed visit Tin Crumpets thread, 'TinCrumpet Vacations', and/or private message them about their 'adventure' with shipping their moho. Lili and Hans are a very delightful couple and we enjoyed their visit to our Airstream Rally in '09.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
As I warned Hans and Lili....do not have anything...ANYTHING...portable in a car or trailer being shipped. Those aborigines will steal everything...even as far as coins in the ashtray. I have mentioned before, here, EU folks should consider having everything possible (EU usable) installed here, before dropping off at the Port. I think it will help on shipping and Customs as well.