Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
As I warned Hans and Lili....do not have anything...ANYTHING...portable in a car or trailer being shipped. Those aborigines will steal everything...even as far as coins in the ashtray. I have mentioned before, here, EU folks should consider having everything possible (EU usable) installed here, before dropping off at the Port. I think it will help on shipping and Customs as well.
Thanks again for all the words of wisdom. Sadly (well maybe not too sad) we're away from the UK for a six week vacation starting next Monday - plus the GT is being picked up by the shipper on 25th January just so it will be with us when we get back.
As we only got told a few days back we could not ship items inside, this has left us a bit rushed to even organise the new pack and ship team......
Getting things done in Colorado when you're 7 hours time different and in the UK presents some challenges.
Lucky I am a flexible learner, eh. If I ever buy another then it should be a lot easier.........
Cheers
JOHN

Old 01-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman

Hi and thanks for the welcome.
We've not GOT to do much work, but probably will - if you know what I mean.
The trailer is in good order (although I've only seen photos) but to meet EU regulations we've to add reflectors, new indicator lamps, an electric brake controller to our Audi A6, replace the 2" US hitch with a 50mm version, just to bve able to trail it.
Then we want to add a 220v to 110v converter, a second set of internal wiring to carry 220v, change the sinktop, oven, probably fridge, along with an internal makeover using rounded edges, more wood, more shiney alloy edges, more red / silver / grey.......all in a more art deco style.
Phew.
Its going to be a job sourcing 'new' bits that fit in with the style, but guess that's part of the fun.
I'll certainly post pictures once its all done...we'll crack on once it arrives in the UK as our goal is to have her in use for this summer......
Cheers
JOHN
Yep that's what I thought when I bought trailer off Ebay sight unseen.. now two years later I just got it back in one piece after doing a massive shell off resto. Make sure to pay special attention to the window door vent and other openings. They all have seals and gaskets that need attention or replaceing. I am doing the windows tomorrow and just got my new vents yesterday. Check my page and my blog for details. Cat wait to see that trailer!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Sway , Hampshire
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzboy View Post
Yep that's what I thought when I bought trailer off Ebay sight unseen.. now two years later I just got it back in one piece after doing a massive shell off resto. Make sure to pay special attention to the window door vent and other openings. They all have seals and gaskets that need attention or replaceing. I am doing the windows tomorrow and just got my new vents yesterday. Check my page and my blog for details. Cat wait to see that trailer!
Sounds like it's a good job I'm retired and enjoy restoration work....
I hope I havn't bought a project, but once it arrives and I get hands on we'll have a clear idea if anything else needs attention.
We've also got a beaut 1964 boat, so happily aware anything 50 years old needs lots of ongoing TLC. I might be a decade older, but keep on telling Sue the same applies to me
Cheers
John
Old 01-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
Sounds like it's a good job I'm retired and enjoy restoration work....
I hope I havn't bought a project, but once it arrives and I get hands on we'll have a clear idea if anything else needs attention.
We've also got a beaut 1964 boat, so happily aware anything 50 years old needs lots of ongoing TLC. I might be a decade older, but keep on telling Sue the same applies to me
Cheers
John
Good on Ya mate!! Looking forward to seeing your progress, Cheers! Now Im off to handle some windows......