Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

1967 22' Safari
Beaufort , North Carolina
escape from the day to day stress of life here in Iraq

Greetings all,

To escape from the day to day stress of life here in Iraq, I find refuge in the Airstream Forums website. I have soaked in both stories and pictures on your site, over and over again. Even if all I can do right now is day dream of peaceful days to come, somewhere out on the road in search of adventure.

We have recently taken possession of a 1967 Safari 22. Although I have only seen photographs of her (nameless at this time) I have a fair idea of what would make a good craft for the kind of camping I like to do. Some of the restoration has been completed but as the experienced members of this group know there is always another project waiting. I think half the fun is in the tinkering and up keep. This site will defiantly expand my ideas and knowledge on what could and should be done with such a great land yacht.

I would like to say thank you to Carol (my partner in this new project and all the important things in life) and her dad Tommy for taking time out of their holiday vacation to make the 1700 mile round trip to pick up our vintage safari. I guess we are off to a good start because they made it back home safely from their journey with no mechanical troubles.

I’ll be home soon, well as soon as the world turns.

Best regards and happy holidays to all.

Michael

“This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave”
lostsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Michael,

I really have nothing to add to your story of your future restoration and camping with your Airstream, but I just wanted to say it has put a grip on my heart as none other has in years.

I wish you a quick and safe return, and many happy years with your friend and your Airstream. And most of all, thank you for what you do.

Happy New Year
Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Michael,

Welcome aboard.

You'll find lots of info here to help you with your new baby.

My son just finished his second tour and his service. I can only tell you that the time will pass faster than you think and when you get home. You'll have an Airstream to escape to.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Hi Michael,

Just so you know, we will be able to start an Air Forums chapter and Garage band in Iraq. I will be there starting in February for a year.

How are the RV parks in Tikrit?

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums seems a weak response, but welcome just the same.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome Michael,

Having a vintage Safari awaiting you at home is a great way to get the thoughts moving toward that time where you will be able to enjoy some hard earned relaxation. Even if it needs work that is also a great way to put the mind to work on something very pleasurable and with a visual payback that is almost immediate. Do you have a tow vehicle in stock or are you also going to be acquiring one on your return?

Hopefully your partner will be able to post some pictures of your new baby soon so we can all take a look at it. We LOVE pictures.

Take care,
Barry
Old 12-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
God Bless You and thanks for your service!! I hope you will continue to enjoy the Forums, and will come back soon to enjoy your trailer!!
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I must say that the 22' Safari is the perfect size. It will take you on many adventures.
A special thanks to you and your friends in Iraq for all that you are doing for us.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Airstream

Michael , Welcome aboard !!! All kinds of info here, Hang in there and keep looking ahead to the Airstream days !! Thanks for keeping the world free !!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Newport , North Carolina
Hi, Just wanted to say hi, We actually live in the next town over from Beaufort- Newport We just bought a 65 overlander in Nov and have started the restoration. I don't know how much work you have to do but we have lots. I would be glad to give you my # if you pm me. Maybe seeing each other around soon. wish you a safe return

here is our blog http://www.airforums.com/forums/blog...adydreame.html
Old 12-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
Lostsailer "Michael"

Welcome to the forum.
Hope all goes well for you and all military people workin' yer behinds off for us here at home.
I wish you a "Shinny Aluminum 2009" and just come home safe to all your family & friends.

Stay that way SAFE
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hey Michael...

Let us add our welcome to the Airforums and our sincere thanks for what you are doing for all of us back home. We are thinking of you. Come home safe and we hope we get to see you down the road very soon...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the forums and Thankyou for your service! Congrats on the new stream..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Michael and Carol, a big hearty welcome from Chattanooga! No question is too small to ask here and get an answer. Well, maybe an end to our troops having to be in Iraq! Anyway, try to stay safe and come home soon! Thanks for all you do for us folks back here in the states.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #15

1967 22' Safari
Beaufort , North Carolina
Hi,

I must say that I am a little overwhelmed by the kind words expressed in numerous emails. After reading these messages, I just wanted to say “Thank you all” your words of support and encouragement are appreciated. I read somewhere that Americans who support our troops used to be called the "silent majority." You are no longer silent, and are voicing your love for God, country and home in record breaking numbers. I cannot explain how much it means to receive that type of support for us out here. . . I had been in Iraq for approximately 500 days on this deployment. This is my third trip in 4 years. Although I hung up my uniform several years ago, I am very proud to work side by side with our nation’s war fighters serving in the US Marine Corps.

On my current assignment, I work as a ch-53 airframes mechanic for the OEM Sikorsky. I suppose this is why I was drawn to the shinny aluminum and all those hard to reach rivets.

John, I am sorry to say the band will have to wait, I am returning to the land of the big PX about the same time your feet hit the sand box. Not sure about the RV parks in Tikrit, but I can assure you that your 28’ International has way more room in it than the can I have been living in the past 16 months.

Katie & Anthony, 2kids, lots of pets…..I look forward to meeting you and seeing the progress and projects on your 26’ Overlander.

I will post a few photos of our soon to be named Safari.

"Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone."
So….Once again thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Michael
lostsailor is offline   Reply With Quote