Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

Atlanta , Georgia
Epic Noob Intro...

Hello Air Forum,

It looks like folks post on this forum in many different phases of Air Stream ownership from renos to epic adventures. I myself am in the beginning phase, which basically means I really want one, but I don't know which one. Cruising the classifieds I see that there are a number of different models of vintage trailers, so I thought I would call on the good folks here at the forum to help guide me.

Want list:

-Full bathroom including shower
- Full/queen bed (not two twins)
- As compact as possible.

So Air Streamers, which models fits me and what do I want that I don't even know that I want yet?

Thanks to those that read the intro threads.
sball1733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! I would recommend a visit to an Airstream dealer to see all the current models. Guessing there is one fairly near you in Atlanta. There is no substitute for being IN your dreams full-scale!

Here maybe?

http://www.southlandrv.com/Airstream-Dealers.html

Good luck.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Atlanta , Georgia
Great idea to actually get in one. Are the new models similar to the vintage 60's and 70's models? I like old things, so was thinking of getting into an older model. Renovation? Post reno? I am really not sure yet. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you want to see trailers built before 2016, I suggest you make a day trip next Saturday to Hiawassee; April 23, 2016. Specifically, the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds - (www.georgiamountainfairgrounds.com)

There will be ~40 Airstreams attending a weekend rally and the group hosts an Open House viewing between Noon and 3. You can see old to new, original to custom, shinny to dull, sleeps 1 to 9, and most anything in between.

You will be welcome to tour and ask questions until you have exhausted your list (or their patience).

Check out the event thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...-a-142890.html

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Most important now is to see the interior spaces and things like stall showers in dry bath vs. wet baths with hand held showers. Also check Windows small sliding ones vs. large ones hinged on top with full screens. In the south the windows are priority #1 IMO. Very easy to get lost here in wordy analysis paralysis.

Seeing is . . .

Priceless.

Later you will have a solid experimental basis for further thinking.

Take a Sunday drive and inhabit your dream . . . ?

Edit ditto to SeeMore, a fine Sunday drive!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Build your trailer around a toilet, shower and bed is a start.

That sure is a short list of needs.

If you are building a trailer around a size of bed... go for the 25 foot to 30 foot Airstream. These have a separate restroom and a shower. The smaller late model trailers have the shower and stool as one unit.

We decided what we wanted from:

- What kind of USES do you have in mind?
- Using the trailer for a week, weeks, a month a year... or more?
- Vintage Trailers need an owner who is handy with tools and an imagination.
- Cruise the RV sales lot for used and new trailers. Not everyone wants an Airstream.
- What, other than appearance, does an Airstream offer that other trailers do not offer?
- If you Boondock more without hookups, 25 feet or less.
- If you RV camp with full hookups... anything that fits your needs.
- If you plan to upsize later, get that size trailer today and save some money.
- Have you priced where you will store this trailer?
- Will you have to replace the current possible tow vehicle because the trailer is TOO long?
- Buying used... find someone who knows how to look for the true reason for selling.
- When you narrow it down to two or three... which is affordable?
- Much like vehicles, some trailers are treated well... and some people do not.
- Restored is not just a buff job and fresh wall paper... check references.

Each model and year have differences. A bed, shower and toilet is the easy part. I would like to say the newer the trailer the better the technology used within the interior. Restored trailers with modern updating is great, unless you like a twenty year old technology for a new price restoration.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You might want to try this site.

http://www.viewrvs.com/airstream-index.php

If your click on the year of trailer it will at least give you what bath and what bed. Keep clicking through the years until you come across rear queen and then check out the layout associated with that trailer model and year as there is a layout site somewhere. I would also google image that trailer for pics of the inside.

https://www.airstream.com/service/document-archive/

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
OK so you've started narrowing down your choices. All that's left is everything else.

How many people? What's your budget? Classic or modern?

In the 21st century era, compact choices are 16, 19, 20, and 22' Bambi's, and the 23' tandem axle Safaris.
NWGetaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
This AS site is a great resource but no substitute for seeing in person.

Many will have your basics but each layout will be a bit different. We had a 25' FB we liked a lot. Had what you want. We moved to a 28' international - it had a slightly different layout and more storage.
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sball1733 View Post
Great idea to actually get in one. Are the new models similar to the vintage 60's and 70's models? I like old things, so was thinking of getting into an older model. Renovation? Post reno? I am really not sure yet. Thanks for the reply!
Howdy..let me ask.. how much have you 'camped'? Owned an RV/travel trailer? How much 'tent' or open air camping have you done?

A recommendation... rent a SOB (Some Other Brand) camper... take it for a spin... camp in it a few days...

Now, go look at 'new' and more mature Airstreams... (one word...=)

Hope your search goes well!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:10 AM   #11

Atlanta , Georgia
Thank you all for your replies! Let me answer a few questions/provide a little more introduction.

First do I camp? The short answer is yes. My whole life, but in a tent (or nothing). Tent/car camping is great and I am an avid ultralight backpacker. I thru-hiked the AT in 2004. Love the great outdoors.

What are my plans for this Air Stream? I hope to take it to the great outdoors and use it as a basecamp for activities like backpacking, surfing, climbing, or snowboarding. I would live in it anywhere from a week to a month or two at a time with the wife who also enjoys these things. We could be at the beach, in the desert or high up in the mountains at any time of year. There will most likely be Boondocking in some cases and I would like to be prepared for that. It would be our home away from home to not just see an area of the country but to experience it for a while.

I said I would like as compact of a AS as possible probably because of my ultra light mentality. I want to be able to boondock it, move it around easily and pull it with a 1/2 ton truck.

I am handy for renovations or repairs and I like the nostalgia that a vintage trailer brings. I have been browsing some of the renovation projects to see what I would be in for and it looks like a lot of work, but it seems like it would be a very rewarding and personal victory when finished and living in it out on the road would be so satisfying. So that feeling appeals to me.

I don't have a budget in mind as of yet because I don't know where I should start in that regard. I am a bit of a tightwad though - another reason a reno appeals - so I am not looking to spend millions.

Isuzusweet – your links are pure gold! Thanks!

SeeMore- Thanks for the rally tip! We may take the drive!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The general consensus amongst long-timers and full timers seems to be that 25' to 27' hits the sweet spot for still be maneuverable and yet have space to live comfortably in.

You may wish to take a look at the Eddie Bauer collection with the large hatch. Perfect for carrying canoes, bikes and other sports equipment.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newbie | Top | Newbie »