Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Mercer Island , Washington
Eager newbie - Shopping

I'm in the market for my first ever Airstream, having envied my friend's 30' for a few seasons now. I'm interested in a late-model (but still used) 25 FB but I have a few questions. Would I be able to tow this with my half-ton Chevy Silverado crew cab 4X4? And how do I find a reliable inspector to check out trailers in other locations? (I'm in Seattle, but I'm looking at listings in Northern California, Florida, etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've spent plenty of time already on this site - what a great resource!
StJoeRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Eager newbie

Greetings StJoeRitz!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJoeRitz View Post
I'm in the market for my first ever Airstream, having envied my friend's 30' for a few seasons now. I'm interested in a late-model (but still used) 25 FB but I have a few questions. Would I be able to tow this with my half-ton Chevy Silverado crew cab 4X4? And how do I find a reliable inspector to check out trailers in other locations? (I'm in Seattle, but I'm looking at listings in Northern California, Florida, etc. etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice. I've spent plenty of time already on this site - what a great resource!
The coach you are considering will be much newer than mine, but of similar length and somewhat greater weight. My first new tow vehicle for my Overlander (26' -- weighing 6,100 pounds ready to travel) was a 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Club Cab pickup . . . and it was so underpowered that I traded after less than three years on my current Suburban -- the pickup had the 5.7 Liter V8 with 3.73 differential gears.

You don't indicate what year your truck is or what motor it has, and that can have quite an impact on its ability for the trailer you desire. I don't think you will be happy with your truck's performance if it is a pre-1996. You may be satisfied with its performance if it is a post 1996 with heavy duty trailering package from the factory.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Hi there

I was where you were about 6 months ago. Found ours used in the area, so didnt need to go far to get it. We tow with a 1/2 ton ford (F150 4x4, Screw, 5.4L engine). Have not gone over the pass with it yet, but it tows fine in the flat areas.

Not much of an inspector (still learning where everything is on mine), but willing to help if you need a hand. Good luck. We are finding that the 25' FB is a perfect configuration for us.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Welcome..

Had a 5 year search for ours,, mostly due to budget and distance to look at them.. Ended up getting a 27 foot 72 Overlander.. We pull it just fine with our 1/2 ton Dodge.. But I do have 3.92 gears..

Just ask alot of questions here,, and read alot.. This bunch of alum heads helped us save $1000s and not get stuck with a lemon..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome StJoe,

Like btowntincan we too have a 2006 25 FB and have been very happy with it. We got ours about 3 years ago and had a difficult time finding one and ended up having to drive to Boise to get it.

I pull mine with a Tundra with the 5.7 and it is a brute with plenty of power. I do not know the particulars about your current truck but one thing to keep in mind is a half ton will be limited by payload so load the truck with this in mind. My tongue weight is rather large and once it is on the ball, I really don't have lots of room for lots of heavy stuff.

There is a way to search the forum to find members who can and will serve as inspectors. I have temporarily forgotten how to do this but I am sure someone will chime in soon. If not, I will attempt to charge a few synapses and get back to you.

Good luck in your search.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
To find an inspector (highly recommended) go to the portal page ( the tab directly under the "a" in the air forums logo at the top of the page. The inspectors list is on the left side about half way down. Good luck in your search, be picky and buy the era you love....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote