Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Airdreamer

1999 30' Excella 1000
Canyon Lake , Texas
Some Weight Calculations

Thanks for all the input. Now for those willing to wade through the numbers, please tell me what you see wrong with this analysis using our Tacoma TV and an Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB (or more likely the Safari equivalent):

The AS has a GVW of 6000#, below the 6500# towing capacity of our Tacoma.

The combined gross weight of the truck and trailer is 11,250#, a bit over the Tacoma capacity of 11,100#. However, if we're careful with payloads in both the truck and the trailer we should easily get under that limit.

The tongue weight of the AS is 500#, well under the Tacoma limit of 650#.

Deducting the tongue weight from the truck payload still gives us 800# of truck capacity for the driver, passenger, gasoline, two cats, and a little gear.

Now I know that the bigger the TV the better, no matter what one is towing, but it seems we can stay under Toyota's limits without much problem. And I believe Toyota (like most manufacturers) would be a little on the conservative side.

So, here's our thinking...We get the used equivalent of the 23FB and use it for a few years with our Tacoma to make sure RV'ing is in our blood. If it is, we upgrade to a larger AS and a larger TV and tour 'til we drop. If it isn't, we sell the AS for a modest loss and find something else to do with our "golden years."

Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dream,
None of those limits with the possible exception of the Tacoma tongue weight number are within an 80% safety margin. I know you really want to make this happen and these are very harde decisions to make. I tried to talk myself into pulling a 25' trailer with our '02 Tundra, but just couldn't rationalize it enough to convince myself. Have you counted the propane weight on the tongue, plus the spare tire? Most Airstreams come with added things which are not counted in the various weight calculations. Toyota also loads a lot of extra stuff into almost all their trucks and you have to account for that. But I belabor my point.

Gene

Old 12-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dream,
None of those limits with the possible exception of the Tacoma tongue weight number are within an 80% safety margin. I know you really want to make this happen and these are very hard decisions to make. I tried to talk myself into pulling a 25' trailer with our '02 Tundra, but just couldn't rationalize it enough to convince myself. Have you counted the propane weight on the tongue, plus the spare tire? Most Airstreams come with added things which are not counted in the various weight calculations. Toyota also loads a lot of extra stuff into almost all their trucks and you have to account for that. But I belabor my point. Gene
I totally agree what Gene is saying. We're within the 80% margin towing our AS with a 1/2 ton truck and we still struggle up hills. I wouldn't consider hauling anything bigger than a pop-up with a 1/4 ton.

Give yourself as much wiggle room in your towing capacity as you possibly can. It's not worth sacrificing safety. There's also more than just weight to consider. There's also factors such as wheelbase, differential ratios etc.

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flying cloud, tacoma, tow vehicles