Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
Smile Dreaming Newbie

Hi everyone,

i have been looking at Airstreams for 10 months now. i'm still saving up and just learning as much as i can about them. i'm a single mom with a 15 month old son and two dogs and my biggest dream is to travel across the country in my own Airstream. i have never towed a trailer nor have i ever campt in one but, i'm crazy about the silver palace. i live in San Diego and we have many camp sites along the ocean but, the Airstreams are far and few in between so when ever i see one i run up to the owners and ask for a tour. i just can't get enough of them. the Vintage, the New and the Used. they are all fantastic!! i enjoy reading all the posts and living vicariously through you all for now. i'm so inspired. thanks.

Sandra
drsbeddor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Sandra, welcome!
There is a bit of that feeling in all of us. This is certainly the place to hang out if you don't mind reading. There is a ton of stuff to learn.
Having said that, don't be intimidated. Nobody learns it all at once.
Do some reading here on tow vehicles, you may have to do a search for that term. You need to make sure that you have an adequate TV for the trailer you wind up with. Or purchase both - but it sounds like money is an issue with you as with most of us.
Since I mentioned tow vehicles, you will find a WIDE variety of opinions on how much is enough. That's all I'll say except that you need to take some of the opinions with a grain of salt. (You DON'T need a 3/4 ton diesel truck to tow a 19' or 23' trailer)
Good luck, post often or as needed. It's nice to have you here.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Welcome Sandra and good luck fulfilling your dream. Isn't that what life's all about. Your memories camping with your son and dogs will the best!! Our kids are getting older but all of those memories seem like yesterday.
Brian & Donna
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Oh Sandra, it sounds like you've been bitten by the aluminum bug. You're smart by learning as much as you can. When you plunk down hard-earned money, you will get the most for your dollar when you've educated yourself. Don't let no towing or RV ownership experience keep you from your dream. You can do it! There is a learning curve, but don't let anyone tell you that you won't be able to by yourself, because I know you can.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Good luck in finding your perfect airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sandra,, welcome to the Forums,,, please do your homework and research well. take your time,, use the Forum, then look, look, look at every Airstream you see,, attend a local rally,, a vintage rally, talk to the owners,,, have fun,, and keep on Dream Streamin,,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
Huntington Beach , California
Send a message via AIM to Deadhead58 Send a message via MSN to Deadhead58
new too

Hey Sandra! I'm also a single mother but my girls are grown. I bought a new Bambi 16' in March of this year and I love it! I'm in Huntington Beach...not far from you. You'll have to let me know when you find yours and we'll adventure together!
Good luck!
Deadhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Hi Sandra, Welcome to this fine depository of Airstream knowledge. I too was a newbie not so long ago. Having researched for over a year I finally took the plunge and bought one. The only thing have to say is that I wasted about 11 months! Good luck in your quest. If you would like to read about my wife’s views, hit her blog.

http://trellalife.blogspot.com/
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
thanks for the welcome! i'm so excited to hear from you. i feel like a whole new world of information and shared experiences are at my fingertips. oh and Dave...you have a real nice Globtrotter. My SUV is a 2004 Mountaineer V8 so i hope that will do for something around 4500 lbs. the dealer told me it can pull up to 6900 lbs. but, the manual states 3500 lbs. so i figured somewhere in the middle, but i need to look into it further to be more specific. for a first timer it looks like most recommendations are towards a newer trailer. something that is going to be ready to go and without the risk of hight maintenance or repairs.
if anybody knows of an up coming rally around San Diego/ Orange county area please let me know. the only one i have been able to track down is not until next spring in Newport Beach.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Hi Sandra and welcome in!

You just walked into a whole new world.

Cal. is full of Airstreamers and we love to Rally. Let me invite you to the CalStreamers Fall Rally in Kernville. Bring a tent or rent a room and join us for the first weekend in Nov. Bring the kids and the dogs. You'll have a blast and get to tour and ogle 15 Airstreams. You won't starve either. We'll have a couple of potlucks. No cost to attend. Bring a lawnchair. PM me for the details. I hope you can come hang out with us.

The best way to learn about Airstreams is by being around them and their owners. Go to Rallies.

Have you considerd the new Safari Sport models? Less wieght and cost.

The Silver Sisters is a group of Ladies here that go camping together. I know some of these Stramers and they are a blast to be around.

P.S. Check your messages.

LEGAL NOTICE:
The CalStreamers is not a club and membership is not required. CalStreamers is a crosssection of lunatics that love to Rally.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
thanks for the supportive words!

i'm not sure if i'm doing this the right way. but, i just wanted to let you know how nice it was to read your welcome. thanks again for the cheerful support.
Sandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Oh Sandra, it sounds like you've been bitten by the aluminum bug. You're smart by learning as much as you can. When you plunk down hard-earned money, you will get the most for your dollar when you've educated yourself. Don't let no towing or RV ownership experience keep you from your dream. You can do it! There is a learning curve, but don't let anyone tell you that you won't be able to by yourself, because I know you can.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
hi, i can't wait to one day be able to give you a shout and say lets go!! i love the Bambi. all though i think i need a little more room. especially for my longer tours i'm dreaming about. ) if you are ever down this way let me know and i'll come by and visit you.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
upcoming rally...

it sounds fantastic. i will try to come that weekend. yes, i will bring the kid so i probebly will get a room. because i have only gone camping with a tent once many years ago and i don't own one. so if i could get more details great!! oh, and i have not seen the Safari sport yet, only in the internet catalogue. i have been looking for a trailer that is larger than the 16' Bambi, around 19'-20', with the same floor plan. because i like the rear end bed. i know the earlier Vintage models have them and the really long trailers. well, i can't wait to see all the individual trailers and personalities that comes allong with them.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Hi Sandra and welcome in!

You just walked into a whole new world.

Cal. is full of Airstreamers and we love to Rally. Let me invite you to the CalStreamers Fall Rally in Kernville. Bring a tent or rent a room and join us for the first weekend in Nov. Bring the kids and the dogs. You'll have a blast and get to tour and ogle 15 Airstreams. You won't starve either. We'll have a couple of potlucks. No cost to attend. Bring a lawnchair. PM me for the details. I hope you can come hang out with us.

The best way to learn about Airstreams is by being around them and their owners. Go to Rallies.

Have you considerd the new Safari Sport models? Less wieght and cost.

The Silver Sisters is a group of Ladies here that go camping together. I know some of these Stramers and they are a blast to be around.

P.S. Check your messages.

LEGAL NOTICE:
The CalStreamers is not a club and membership is not required. CalStreamers is a crosssection of lunatics that love to Rally.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
vista , California
what is a rivet member and a rivet master?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Posting and rivets

The rivet status by your avatar or forum name refer to the number of posts you've made. I think 5 posts gets you one rivet. Somewhere around 25 or 50 gets you two, 100 maybe three, 250 gets four, then 500 posts makes you a rivet master.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the more you post the more rivets you get, up to five that is!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Good Luck

drsbeddor, Take your time looking. It took us two years. I think a 20 foot would be easy for you to tow and give you enough space.

Have you checked out the Classified on this Forum? And there are many Airstreams in your state. There were very few in New York State and we did not want to travel to look too far. Welcome. You will enjoy Airstreaming.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsbeddor
it sounds fantastic. i will try to come that weekend. yes, i will bring the kid so i probebly will get a room. because i have only gone camping with a tent once many years ago and i don't own one. so if i could get more details great!! oh, and i have not seen the Safari sport yet, only in the internet catalogue. i have been looking for a trailer that is larger than the 16' Bambi, around 19'-20', with the same floor plan. because i like the rear end bed. i know the earlier Vintage models have them and the really long trailers. well, i can't wait to see all the individual trailers and personalities that comes allong with them.)
Sandra,

If you go to the homepage and look down the left side you will see "upcoming rallies"

Click on that and scroll down the list until you get to California Streamers Fall Rally. That will give you date and place. Check out the other CalSreamers Rallies listed also.

The CalStreamers are mostly So Cal. peeps who go all over the place to camp and have fun. Our Rallies are very informal.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote