Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Does Size Matter ?

Looking for our first AS. We seem to be attracted to 19' Bambi. Just the two of us and two dogs. We are 50ish and interested in seeing the US. Would love your input on size. Pros and Cons.

LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' International CCD
Upton , Massachusetts
Check the toilt situation out. Other than that we love our 19' Bambi. We dont have 2 dogs though. How big are the dogs? Check out the other sizes and see what feels comfortable. Think of what you will bring and if it will be big enough.

Triple M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
How you plan to use it will determine largely whether or not you'll be happy in 19'. Do you cook inside or outside? Do you spend most of your time out in the trailer, or outside it? How large are you physically?

If you're small folks and you plan to use it primarily to sleep in and as an escape from the weather when it's bad... then 19' is probably adequate. If you are folks who are using it more as a travelling motel and restaurant (as we use ours) then I'd suggest looking at a 25'.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Does size matter? My wife insists it doesn't ...

But we started out with a 20', moved up to a 26', and now have a 31'.
Knowing now what I had forgotten when we bought our first Airstream product, I'd look for something a little bigger than 19'. It's better to have a little more room than you need, than wish you had more room.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Size does matter in many things, but I'll stick with the Airstream question.

What are you used to living in? A small apartment, a big house, an average place? Are you tall or short? RV beds are smaller than what you are used to at home, so a double is difficult for some people and even a queen can be too short; some are narrower too.

Toilets can be a problem for the long legged or wide hipped—sit down on one, close the door and see how it feels.

Some people need more personal space than others. Some people need a bedroom to be in while their partner is at the dinette table just to have some time alone. Others don't care.

Do you need a lot of clothing? Some people wear the same stuff a lot, others need to change several times a day and throw stuff in the laundry right away. Laundry piles up fast in a trailer because of limited space to put it.

Do you cook complicated meals requiring lots of ingredients, or need special foods that aren't easy to find at an IGA or a Walmart? Do bring a lot of stuff like books, magazines, cameras, and the millions of things people get attached to? Storage is not all that big in RV's, but especially small in smaller ones.

Do you want to boondock? Smaller means less fresh water and grey and black water storage limiting boondocking days for some.

Some have no problems in small trailers, and some buy them and then find out it isn't right for them and trade up, a process that costs a lot of money in quick depreciation of the 1st, small trailer. This is not something you want to make a mistake about—it's a long term purchase. I don't know if you can rent an Airstream and tow it somewhere to see how it fits, but you can rent other RV's to get a feel for what it's like (the one's built on a truck frame that say "rent me"). It's a good investment to check what is right for you although the rental units are probably roomier than a Bambi. A few KOA's have Airstreams on site you can rent for one or more nights—larger than Bambi's, but something to try. Check the KOA website to see where they are. Las Vegas is one place.

What works for some people is awful for another person—it's all very individual.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It's my wife and I and 3 dogs (2 big and 1 small). I don't think that we would be happy with anything smaller then our 25' Trade Wind. The only time I wish my trailer was smaller is when it's time to polish!

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio

Welcome to the forums!

Great title for your thread--guaranteed to get a lot of responses.

My wife and I started out six years ago in our 1960 16 foot Pacer with three dogs and had a blast. Since then we have graduated to a 1980 22 ft International Caravelle and like it better, especially for longer trips.

There's an economy of scale--a little bigger doesn't cost that much more--so I vote for a little bigger trailer, just not much bigger.

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
I love a small trailer, and would love something sub-20' for just me. With the SO and I the 25' is perfect, and the 31' seems caverneous.

The important thing is that you buy what suits your tastes and budget. If you out grow it and trade up to a longer unit, you'll be following in the footprints of numerous others before you.

Keep us posted.

Best of Luck...And Welcome,

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
As Roger suggested I like the idea of a traveling motel room and restaurant. I like the Ocean Breeze but my Hubby thinks the Bambis are cool.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
As Roger suggested I like the idea of a traveling motel room and restaurant. I like the Ocean Breeze but my Hubby thinks the Bambis are cool.
Isn't there a 19' Ocean Breeze? I do like that interior too. You could then name it Bambi and both be happy
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some people buy the Bambi's because of style—they are "cute" or "cool". Men and women use different words for the same thing. But when they have to spend days or weeks in them, they aren't so cool or cute. The trailer functions as a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room and storage facility. 25' works for us.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Hi Lisa and welcome to the Forums.

Pat and I had pretty much settled on the 19' Bambi when someone told me that for long distance towing and travel, which we do, having a tandem axle is better for stability, safety, and load carrying. In 2007 you had to go to a 22' to get the tandem axles, and we didn't like the floor plan there, so we ended up with a 23'. The rear end of the 23' is the same as the 19' with the corner bed and shower. We are average size folks so getting in the bed and the bathroom isn't a problem, and we like the lounge up front for relaxing at the end of the day. Having only a dinette, wouldn't provide the comfort that the sofa does. We don't have any pets.

Sometimes we wish we had gone to the 25' for the larger bed and tanks, but then we remember how easy our 23' is to pull and maneuver and we're happy again. Good luck with your decision.

Randy and Pat Godfrey
Region 3 2nd VP, Newsletter Editor, Florida Unit
WBCCI# 7591 - AIR# 17017
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
2005 25' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Athens , Georgia
First of all ..... welcome to the forums. One more thing to think a bit about also is what type of tow vehicle you already have or want to have. My wife wanted to stay small because she didn't want to drive a heavy truck but I wanted a bigger trailer. We decided on a 25 footer but she has since decided she doesn't even want to drive while we are towing it. Was my choice to go larger than the smaller Bambi so I do all the driving, I know she could do it if she wanted to but she really doesn't even want to try. So I think that should be thought about also. Just my thoughts.....

Roy B
Roy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Great for a weekend with good weather. On the road for more than a couple weeks may be a challenge. Some folks can live on top of each other, some need breathing room. Then there is were are the dogs going to sleep. We used a 17 Caravelle with two standard poodles up to 2 weeks. It was great except the last one to bed got little room. The dogs figured this out faster than I did. Then there is the he's touching me melt down in the middle of the night by the female. The dogs are gone and we have a rebuilt 26 and wonder how we did it. The only other issue is IO think some state and federal campgrouds have 17foot limits. Those extra feet don't cost much more. Go checkem out. Good Luck

Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote