Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Another factor I didn't see mentioned above - what kind of campgrounds will you be primarily staying in? We mostly go to National Forest Service campgrounds and there's a lot of camp sites we get into with our 16' (or a 19') that would be a real problem with the 28' or 30' models, with the 23' to 25' models being a compromise. If you are going to use developed campgrounds with good roads, pull through sites, etc then the longer lengths aren't an issue.

On the other hand, if you're dry camping (like in NFS campgrounds) the bigger trailers have larger water and waste tanks which means you can stay longer.

Try to look ahead and think about the kind of camping you want, and where you will go most of the time, and factor that in to your decision.

Ogden, Utah
2005 16' CCD
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Early on in our camping days(1973), we camped in the back of our tiny pu and/or tents. Graduated to a vw vanogan. Then we didn't campout 'forever'.Years have gone by and we now have a 22' Safari. We also have no idea why we made the decision to camp again. It was actually my idea for the trailer (and I have no idea where this idea came from - I am more of a hotel/spa/eating out gal). Rustyrivet wanted a Airstream if were going to get a trrailer - I wanted several of the things you can get with sob, but hubby was sure the comprise was - sob (me) - AS (him) and I am so happy he won this one!!!!! So far we have only made short trips, and the size is fine for us. We plan on taking many more longer trips and will see how well that works. We think that our TV, 2009 Tundra will handle a 25' if we decide we need to "move it on up". Rustyrivet says no way to another one, but then again he is already talking about if we went up to 25'. He is such a sweetheart. So for us right now the 22' seems to be perfect.

sempi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I've heard it said that while towing you want the smallest trailer you can get, and while parked you want the biggest

We love our 17ft trailer. When we first got it everyone told me we'd be upgrading soon. That was 6 years ago! It can get a little cramped with the dogs, but generally we're the sort of people that don't need a lot of stuff and don't mind the close quarters, and we spend a lot of time outside anyway. Being small means you can't be lazy about clutter, you have to keep it neat! On the road it tows so nicely and follows the van perfectly, so we don't even have to swing wide with it. Plus it fits into any spot we can find, once a park ranger even put us in the tent area. At a telescope rally they squeezed us into the car camping space because the trailer fit perfectly in a parking spot (the van had to go into overflow parking). When we stop for a break on the way to our destination, we can park it in any shopping center parking lot where we find two spots end to end. My husband insists there is no reason to ever go up to anything bigger. Size definitely matters, small is beautiful!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
As others have said I think it depends on how long you plan to be out and what you are looking for. We tend to go for 1-3 months at a time so like a bit of extra room. We also tend to pack light* so closet/storage space was not that big a deal for us. We considered the 25, 27fb and the 28 and decided after a year the 28 foot was right for us. One thing to consider is the 25 is 25' 11", the 27fb is 28' and the 28 is 27' 11". The 28 is effectively only 2 foot longer than the 25 foot.

We got the 28 because the bedroom is in the rear and we go to lots of places that have back-ins. We prefer bedroom privacy to fb kitchen/living area vistas. We tend to be outside when up and about so the fb thing is not a big deal to us. YMMV

*went to the far east for a month with one carry-on backpack each, two adults and two kids.
sinjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
My wife and I are 50ish with two dogs and 28' seemed to be perfect for us. Her and 1 dog at one end and me with the other dog on the couch works just fine. On rainy days anything smaller would be just too cramped for us, I think choosing you AS is a personal choice, one persons perfect fit will be differant than the next person. I would assume thats why they come in 16', 17' 19' 20' 23' 25' 27' 28' 30' 34'
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Originally Posted by Over59 View Post
Then there is were are the dogs going to sleep.
In our 20' Safari, Luke the Border Collie sleeps under the dinette and Molly the Jack Russell sleeps here:

I took the door off one of the storage bins under a dinette seat and put her bed in there. She loves it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8160007.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	82041  
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 AM   #21
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just depends on what you want, need and can afford. We really, really like the economy and space-efficiency of small, while still having the luxury of a beautiful AS. We can go and park anywhere, mileage is great, knew from the start that we didn't want to tow. Happy hunting!
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia

Let me first welcome you to the forums. You have picked to best place for opinions and info. No matter what size you get you will love every minute of it.

I am a first year newbie myself and had the same struggles. I was very nervous about pulling something more than 20'. However I went with a 28' and was extremely scared to pull i until I bought a larger tow vehicle and now I roll down the road like it is not even there.

Some questions that you need to ask yourselves about size:
-how much do you want to spend?
-What do you have to tow it? (this may be an added cost you did not expect. IE me)
-Where do you want to go? Camp grounds or boondocking (some national park only allow a certain size.
-How long do you want to go away for? The small the trailer the shorter the trip. IMO
-What type of people are you and your husband? Do you mind being extra close all the time of vacation? In our 28' I can go lay down on the twin beds and she can play on the computer in the front and not bother me or visa versa in the morning when I get up at sunrise and she sleeps til 8am, I can still cook my coffee and sit on the couch.

And last get what is going to make you two happy. Remember its vacation it is suppose to be fun not a fight. If larger is going to stress the driver out or living too close is going to cause a fight make the decision accordingly.

Good luck and let us know. We love photos.

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
we have a 27' that has two couches that fold into double beds. We feel it is perfect for our needs. My wife loves the bathroom, where I am not so crazy about the bath tub. I like a stand up shower. I cracked my head on the bathroom counter taking a shower in my A.S. I put a nice bump on my head.

We take two dogs when we camp and we feel it works out really well for them and us. I could not imagine camping with two dogs in a smaller trailer. Also I am pulling my airstream with a dodge ram 1500 4.7L engine. It works great but you have to work that engine going up inclines (Tennessee mountains). I would not pull with anything under a 4.7L engine.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I like to use the cruise ship analogy. The staterooms on a cruise ship are VERY small (unless you are Daddy Warbucks and can afford a suite), BUT you really only sleep and shower in them (yeah, I know, there are a FEW other things). My point is that after a week or two at sea with the person you are traveling through life with and you love to pieces, small rooms tend to shrink even more and smaller rooms can mean shorter tempers and unhappy times.

All that said, you will have rainy days when you spend most of your TT time in the TT and this can come into play. We got the biggest TT we could tow for that reason and it is working out very well (even though I LOVE the 19 footers and the older 22 footers).
The more time your are going to spend indoors, the bigget TT I'd recommend.
Steve & Susan
WBCCI# 03876
AIR# 6511
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Lots of great information. We are having a blast shopping for one. This is all new to us . We have never camped in a trailer but have always admired the AS and the lifestyle. I love hearing everyones opinion. Thanks, Lisa
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
Looking for our first AS.....Would love your input on size.
I have pondered this for a LONG time - 26' dual axle seems to be optimum for me.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Great idea!
Originally Posted by wayne&sam View Post
in our 20' safari, luke the border collie sleeps under the dinette and molly the jack russell sleeps here:

I took the door off one of the storage bins under a dinette seat and put her bed in there. She loves it.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
25 footer.

Hi, the 25'er is the largest of the small trailers and the smallest of the large ones. Thus Happy medium. We started out by looking for the smallest "Class C" motorhome with an island queen bed; Then we re-thought our wants and needs and started looking for the smallest Airstream with an island queen bed. At this time the safari 25-B was perfect trailer for us. [wife and I, and two little dogs] Now it's just the wife and I. If I were to do it again, I would possibly consider a 23'er, not available at the time we bought our trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote