Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Does size matter…?

•On the strength of the replies to my 1st post(Discouraged)my wife
and I, feeling less discouraged, went ahead and visited a couple of
dealerships.
Unfortunately the closest dealer's website wasn't up to date so
the AS's we wanted to see were gone.
We walked through some 23 and 25 FC's and a truly awful Sterling
(obsidian). I later went to look at a left over 2011 30' FC.
•As soon to be 1st timers, we feel stuck between a rock & a hard
place: the smaller TTs are probably easier(?)to tow but seemed too
tight for long road trips.
The 30' certainly was spacious, but we fear it would be too much for us to
handle. Sandra especially is concerned about pulling even a 25'.
•Would a 27' be a compromise between space and "towability"?
•The 30'FC, although bare bones, seems to be a good deal, but we don't want
to get in over our heads.
As far as I know there is no way to test drive an AS, so how's a fella to
know?
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Your personal mileage will certainly vary from any responses you receive here but I can tell you in my experience (for whatever that's worth) the 27 is just perfect for us. Comfortable to tow, and for my wife, my dog and myself, it's plenty comfortable at the campsite. We jokingly refer to the dinette area as "the great room" - its just funny to us. But we absolutely LOVE our airstream. And remember, the point is to camp and see the sights where you go. If you're spending all your time in the camper, maybe you're missing something?

I'm a fan of the 27fb flying cloud we purchased. Again, your mileage will certainly vary. Whatever you pick, have fun!!! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
Dave...glad your wife thinks smaller is better . There is more than size when making a decision. There is lay out, how it is finished etc. My wife wanted aluminum for interior walls. She wanted lots of light inside...so many TT can seem like caves even if they are big with too little light inside. So while you are looking focus on the features you like or dislike to help you narrow your decision. We are putting in 2 recliners in our AS....it fits us and makes it more functional for us. That's an advantage of getting one that has been around 3-7 years... I probably wouldn't buy new and start remodeling within the year.

Good Luck with your search,
Bill
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Keep in mind, the 27' and the 28' are really the same length. In fact, the 27' is actually longer than the 28'. The 27' is 28' in length, and the 28' is 27'11" in length.

Go figure!

Anyway, we were also looking to buy the 27', but in the end decided on the 28'. Now I almost wish we had gone for the 30'! Those recliners sure look comfortable.

Have fun with your search.
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
My Airstream is an Interstate class B motorhome, which is 22 feet long, including the engine compartment (living space is about 18 feet if you swivel the front seats seats to face the rear), and only six feet wide at the floor. Less room than a Bambi. No one would ever call it spacious, unless they've served on a US Navy submarine. But for me, it's as close to ideal as I'll ever find, as long as I don't gain too much weight and get too big for that 19"-wide center aisle between the bathroom and closet.

No matter how much advice you get, the final decision comes down to you. If you're not comfortable towing it, you won't tow it, and then it will be an expensive lawn ornament. If you're not comfortable living in it, your trips will be short and few in number because that will be all you can stand.

So, first figure out what's the biggest that papa bear will be comfortable towing. That eliminates anything bigger right off the bat. Then figure out what's the smallest that mama bear can live in for a week or two, or for however long your longest trip will be. That eliminates anything smaller. Whatever's left is in the Goldilocks zone, not to big, not too small, but just right.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I enjoy my 30. We had a 28 before. I can't tell the difference in towing or backing. The 30 and 31 are the same length. I guess they just use the different numbers to differentiate layout/floor plan.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
With our 34' we have adequate space.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I love my 34'. I've never towed a smaller unit, so can't say anything about handling except that my first road-trip was a breeze (Tucson to Alamogordo) and gave me a lot of confidence. I've heard that three axles offer the nicest behaved TT, but don't have experience with doubles or singles to compare down with. The only thing I recommend is to practice turning so you get a feel for how wide the turn needs to be. My tires had scuff marks, ha-ha, that I didn't note when I picked it up. Backing is also a skill that requires practice, but then again that is hardly limited to the long ones. Enjoy!
Old 06-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I have a 31' ASCL with a GVWR of 8,300# (see avatar). I also have a 12' single axle utility trailer which has a GVWR of 3,500#. Both trailers have exactly the same 8' axle width. When enroute they are both "back there" and I have to pay attention to their tracking when cornering or in construction zones, but other than that they are just "back there".

When backing up the AS is MUCH easier to maneuver as the "break" when turning happens more gradually than with the utility trailer. You do have to be aware of the length when backing, but then there usually isn't any rush and going back to check clearance isn't a big deal.

As far as fuel consumption, I average ~10.5 miles per gallon on the AS and ~14.5 with the utility trailer, BUT the utility trailer is only ~5.5' high and 6' wide with square corners, i.e. not aerodynamic; the point being that the AS are all basically the same form factor and all equally aerodynamic so a longer AS really doesn't take more fuel when enroute, but does require more fuel when accelerating its mass; so I just try to time the stop lights and traffic so that I don't have to accelerate often; makes for a much better driver also.

So I would recommend to buy what suits you, size be damned.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
the interior layout has a lot to do with how roomy your trailer will feel We have a 25' Safari with a rear bed (queen size) and for the two of us it is very comfortable. Towing is easy as well. Another consideration is where you will be camping. Many of the state and federal parks have a size restriction.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I'd echo Withidl's comments, size doesn't matter in terms of towing, gas mileage or backing up; you won't really notice if it's a 25' or a 30' behind you. It will matter on the space you want or need internally, though.

Budget permitting, get what you want based on the internal size and layout and don't worry about anything else.

For what it's worth, I'd never towed anything before getting our 28' International; both DW and I tow it with due respect but without any problems.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have gone from a 31' to a 28' and back to a 30'. We love the extra space. Towing is towing. I will drive down the freeway, but admit I am a bit uncomfortable in smaller spaces. I love the extra room in the trailer.
Debbie
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Do a thorough investigation of the 23FB and 25FB including lying on the front edge of the bed that is across the length of the trailer. Now sit up without hitting your head on the overhead compartment and try to get to the foot of the bed since you can not get your feet on the floor. Can you do that without awakening the bed mate?

We are migrating from a 2013 25FB Serenity with the queen bed to a 2014 Classic 27FB with twin beds for storage and ease of access.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
I also meant to ask if there are state and national parks which don't allow TTs over a certain length(we've heard 25').
That would make a huge difference in our decision; our dream is to visit as many of the great parks as we can over the next few years…
Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
I also meant to ask if there are state and national parks which don't allow TTs over a certain length(we've heard 25').
That would make a huge difference in our decision; our dream is to visit as many of the great parks as we can over the next few years…
Thanks
As I understand it, some of the older parks, particularly on the western side of the US can have this restriction. I've only camped in the East and never encountered any such problems.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
My wife's not sure about the "pantry" storage in the 28' but I love the layout.
What're your experiences?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
It's all in with what you are comfortable towing. Experience in this helps a lot. In our business we tow trailers for product, so we just hook our 75 Sov up and go. As well, never been anywhere on our travels that had a length restriction, even at the KOA in Estes Park Colorado. It's quite tight, but for a few nights stay there are inches to spare.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Towed my 31 about 50000 miles now and, since we half-time, spent about 3 1/2 years in it. In all that time, we have failed to find a site that would accommodate our rig in only a handful of cases. East, west, south...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
First understand that all Airstreams are small, no slide-outs or any of that junk. But they're well planned using all available space well, and are a dream to tow if you get a well-matched tow vehicle and high quality hitch. An American icon, they are also a heck of a lot of fun to travel with.

I'll put a plug in for the 25' (ours is front dinette), a mid-sized Airstream. We've lived and traveled in it 12 of the 22 months we've owned it and find it wonderful it every way, a great trailer for two.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
My wife's not sure about the "pantry" storage in the 28' but I love the layout.
What're your experiences?
We went with the 28' because it had a separate dinette area which we felt was important when the kids are with us; it's a slight separation that the 27' and below didn't have. The pantry is OK, we've put some cheap IKEA plastic boxes in there as shelves and it works for us. The 30' has better storage, that's for sure, but as I said, it wasn't available when we bought the 28'.

When we were buying, one of the people who works part time for the dealer and owns an Airstream himself said that we'd never fill the storage and, three years on he's been proved to be right, we still have plenty of storage space, even when we have the kids on board.