Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
I also meant to ask if there are state and national parks which don't allow TTs over a certain length(we've heard 25').
That would make a huge difference in our decision; our dream is to visit as many of the great parks as we can over the next few years…
Thanks
As I understand it, some of the older parks, particularly on the western side of the US can have this restriction. I've only camped in the East and never encountered any such problems.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
My wife's not sure about the "pantry" storage in the 28' but I love the layout.
What're your experiences?

Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
It's all in with what you are comfortable towing. Experience in this helps a lot. In our business we tow trailers for product, so we just hook our 75 Sov up and go. As well, never been anywhere on our travels that had a length restriction, even at the KOA in Estes Park Colorado. It's quite tight, but for a few nights stay there are inches to spare.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Towed my 31 about 50000 miles now and, since we half-time, spent about 3 1/2 years in it. In all that time, we have failed to find a site that would accommodate our rig in only a handful of cases. East, west, south...

Mike
Old 06-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
First understand that all Airstreams are small, no slide-outs or any of that junk. But they're well planned using all available space well, and are a dream to tow if you get a well-matched tow vehicle and high quality hitch. An American icon, they are also a heck of a lot of fun to travel with.

I'll put a plug in for the 25' (ours is front dinette), a mid-sized Airstream. We've lived and traveled in it 12 of the 22 months we've owned it and find it wonderful it every way, a great trailer for two.

doug k
Old 06-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
My wife's not sure about the "pantry" storage in the 28' but I love the layout.
What're your experiences?
We went with the 28' because it had a separate dinette area which we felt was important when the kids are with us; it's a slight separation that the 27' and below didn't have. The pantry is OK, we've put some cheap IKEA plastic boxes in there as shelves and it works for us. The 30' has better storage, that's for sure, but as I said, it wasn't available when we bought the 28'.

When we were buying, one of the people who works part time for the dealer and owns an Airstream himself said that we'd never fill the storage and, three years on he's been proved to be right, we still have plenty of storage space, even when we have the kids on board.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
`As my Granny used to say, "Different strokes for different folks."
We love our dealership ( Sander's RV in Alachua, FL) He was well stocked with the different sizes, and we were able to sit in the various units and get a good feel. We chose the FC23FB because it was the largest of the small and the smallest of the large. That means it has dual axels, but is still a narrow body; I liked that. It has a walk around queen bed, and a dual sink which made the wife happy. We are still happy with our choice. Of course when sitting in a campground for 2 weeks a 34 footer brings on envy, and when sailing down the highway, the Bambi is a cool hand, but all considered, ours is perfect for "US". We travel a lot; in 2 years we've been to New England twice and the Left Coast 3 times, and places in between to many to count. Also there is only the 2 of us, and tho we've had a couple over for dinner a few times, or a bunch for a campfire, we are only 2 when we travel. My advice is to take the time to sit in all available models and draw up a decision tree. Consider everything, but once the decision is made, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"!