Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

1969 31' Sovereign
Goodyear , Arizona
Diving in Head First!

We did it! My husband and I just bought a 1969 Sovereign in a pretty sad state of repair. We've wanted an airstream for while now, and we wanted something vintage (and affordable). After looking around we settled on a project trailer...and boy did we find it! It needs just about everything, but we are happy with our decision so far (ask me about that in about a year). My husband is pretty handy, but I am determined to be an active participant in refurbishing this Airstream. I can't wait to get started, but I know I have alot to learn. I've been looking at advice and tips on the forum and you all seem to be so generous with your knowledge! I am really looking forward to diving in to the project. Do any of you have a recommendation for an RV repair manual that would be good for someone learning the basics - and beyond? We plan to re-do electrical, plumbing, everything really.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback and support. I know this project will take way more time than we think and cost way more money than we think, but I am really looking forward to getting our 1969 Airstream back on the road.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi PattiT - Welcome to the forums!

We bought a much earlier edition of this manual some 20 odd years ago: RV Repair & Maintenance Manual, 4th edition - Item - Camping World. Or maybe it was a slightly different one. Regardless, it looks like a good overall repair and maintenance manual to get started with. Plus, you'll find all sorts of directly related AS stuff in the forums, including several complete restoration or refurb threads.

Good luck with your project!

And post pics!!!

Chris

Old 12-13-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums!

Over the New Years Holiday the Four Corners Unit is having a rally just down the road from you at Picacho Peak State Park. It doesn't sound like the trailer will be ready for the trip, but you are more then welcome to drive down and visit with the group. We'll have over 30 Airstreams to look at and plenty of advice from the owners.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiT View Post
We did it! My husband and I just bought a 1969 Sovereign in a pretty sad state of repair. We've wanted an airstream for while now, and we wanted something vintage (and affordable). After looking around we settled on a project trailer...and boy did we find it! It needs just about everything, but we are happy with our decision so far (ask me about that in about a year). My husband is pretty handy, but I am determined to be an active participant in refurbishing this Airstream. I can't wait to get started, but I know I have alot to learn. I've been looking at advice and tips on the forum and you all seem to be so generous with your knowledge! I am really looking forward to diving in to the project. Do any of you have a recommendation for an RV repair manual that would be good for someone learning the basics - and beyond? We plan to re-do electrical, plumbing, everything really.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback and support. I know this project will take way more time than we think and cost way more money than we think, but I am really looking forward to getting our 1969 Airstream back on the road.
The earliest service manual avai8lable, is for a 73.

However, all of the systems, plumbing, wiring, LPG, etc, shell, suspension, is almost exactly the same.

But, if you plan on perhaps adding a "gray water" tank, then get the 1974 service manual, since that was the first year of the gray tanks. The rest of the book is almost identical to the 1973 book.

Prior to making any purchaes, it is usually wise to check everything out, and make your list of what you will have to buy, and it's costs, and then what you may like to buy, and it's costs.

In that way, you can better program your time and budget.

usually, the first thing to do, unless the floor is shot, is to weatherproof the trailer. That would be the window gaskets, the access compartment gaskets, the entrance door gasket, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, the clearnce and tail lights and the vent cover gaskets.

Once the trailer is water proofed, then you can better program your game plan, without the worry of water leaks, and perhaps ruining some of your work.

Since your appliances are all 40 years old, should should consider replacing all of them, as your budget permits.

Also, as you prceed, you will have a bunch of questions. Make a list of them, then post them, and then you can weigh the answers.

Welcome to Airstreaming, and hopefully your great smile will be even greater, when the project is declared "finished".

Andy
Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
PattiT,

Welcome and congratulations on your new vintage project. There are plenty of repair related threads here that should assist you in your resto/rennovation project. Post some photographs when you can.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Welcome the the forum. COngratulations on your find and years of fun. Both in repairing and using your TT.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #7

1969 31' Sovereign
Goodyear , Arizona
Thank you all for your support and recommendations! I will post pictures when I can. I need to figure out photobucket (I'm new to forums and posting things on the web, too! I guess this project will teach me much more than I think!) Thanks again. Glad to be a part of the group!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

1969 31' Sovereign
Goodyear , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Over the New Years Holiday the Four Corners Unit is having a rally just down the road from you at Picacho Peak State Park. It doesn't sound like the trailer will be ready for the trip, but you are more then welcome to drive down and visit with the group. We'll have over 30 Airstreams to look at and plenty of advice from the owners.
Thanks for the invite. We'd love to come down. I will check on the dates and see if we can make a day trip of it. Which day would be best?