Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #61
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
Is that discouraged around here or do I need more rivets?

Z
Howdy and welcome to Airforums, Zackybilly! Don't let anyone tell you that long posts aren't welcome, because they are. It's just that lots of folks are not used to putting more than a sentence or two down at a time.

But you aren't alone. And I thought it was a great story. You surely have been around the block with motorcycles and trailers, glad to see you settled on AS.

I only ever had two bikes in my life; one an '81 Honda CM400E twin, "custom" style. After making it roadworthy again, I rode it from my then home in Montreal, QC to Washington, DC and had myself a blast on the way there and back. That gave me a taste for more power, so I bought me an '82 Honda CB900F which I adored. I'm tall (5'17") so the 900 fit me to a T, it's a real tall bike.

Rode that bike back and forth from Montreal to Quebec City (a day trip really) with several thousand other bikes for a few springs. The Quebec bikers were getting reamed by the province for their plate "sticker" fees, and this was their way to demonstrate against it. For me, it was just a blast to spend a day on a bike with several thousand other bikers!

When I lost having good inner ear balance, I got rid of the bike to a friend of mine who, like you, collects them.

Anyways,we'll all be fascinated to hear more of your two AS TTs, and how your travel in them works out!

Welcome aboard!

Aage (my real first name)
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yes, exactly, I have in my short time on this forum blabbed and blabbed and blabbed with questions and other comments...folks have been awesome. Welcome!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
yes, exactly, I have in my short time on this forum blabbed and blabbed and blabbed with questions and other comments...folks have been awesome. Welcome!
What you are experiencing is your first case of Aluminitus! You will see it mentioned quite often on this forum. The fever rises and falls and there is no explanation.
As a pharm, see if you can mix up a new med that cures it, or even relieves a few of the symptoms.
The only antidote I know of is a big aluminum pill (on wheels). Some times people have to up the dosage to two or three pills, when they get it really bad!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Poplarville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Zackybilly- maybe we will meet on the road somewhere- on 2 wheels or 8...
Where is Poplarville?
Sounds good to me. I still ride 40-50k miles a year and all over the country.

I may be making a run up to Memphis related to Airstream No. 2. I've run into a slight snag on it. It has an HA hitch on it...and my TV is a 2013 Suburban 2500. Chevy put the receiver in the bumper and not below it so it is high (25.75" from top of receiver box to ground). The hitch comes with a 6" drop hitch bar but I need more like a 12". Called Hensley...they offer an 8" drop and don't have or recommend anything longer. I ordered a 3P hitch one month ago today and just got word that it is shipping tomorrow....with an extended hitch bar for the Suburban. Don't really cherish the idea of swapping hitches "in the field" and ultimately, I want the 3P w/ 1,400 lb. bars on my tongue-heavy (950+ lbs. empty) 28-footer.

At any rate, I may just ride my motorcycle up there, finish my business and just hire a truck to haul it home so I can deal with the fab work at my convenience. If where I can, I'll PM you and possibly drop by and buy your lunch. Us rednecks have got to stick together. On my LD bike, I can go 550 miles between fill-ups so I can just about do the whole trip on one "tank" of gas....and that's towing a cargo trailer with me.

This is one of my M/C campers....refriderator/freezer, microwave, hotwater heater, electric & gas heat, 5,500 btu A/C, screen room, LED interior lighting, 12v system (two lithium iron Shorai batteries) with volt & ammeter, 120v shore-power volt meter, on-board air compressor, 7-gallon saddle gas tanks to transfer fuel to the bike on the fly, etc. 570 lbs. total with 14% on the tongue.

Bike has FLIR infrared camera, 3 GPSs, weather radar, Laser Jammer, Radar Detector w/109 db screamer, Doran TPMS, Centramatics, Run-Flat car tire on rear, heated & cooled riding gear, Satellite tracking, video camrera, rally timer, volt meter, auxilary fuel tank on bike w/ digital gauge, two pair of HID driving lights, etc. Other than that, its pretty much stock.

Z
Zackybilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
What you are experiencing is your first case of Aluminitus! You will see it mentioned quite often on this forum. The fever rises and falls and there is no explanation.
As a pharm, see if you can mix up a new med that cures it, or even relieves a few of the symptoms.
The only antidote I know of is a big aluminum pill (on wheels). Some times people have to up the dosage to two or three pills, when they get it really bad!
OHHH BOY! Super Cheezy Funny...I like it

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post

Brilliant!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #67
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Len n Jeanne....

I just want to say thank you for that bit of perspective....as similar newb's soon to own our first AS, its a tad intimidating....my wife and I will be in the same boat...I am not the handiest person in the world..I expect RV mechanics will take my money away after my warranty expires....is november here yet folks??
Just back from our camping trip. It rained only part of the time.... which sure brightened-up the aluminum. Nothing went wrong or needed fixing.

Maybe us mechanically-challenged folks need a separate thread where we could sort-of band together.

We surely do admire and salute all of the guys (mostly?) on this forum who are so handy, educated, knowledgeable, mechanically-inclined, electrically proficient, and hey-- good looking, as well. Yes, it is better to be proficient than clueless.

I just thought that Dave, or someone reluctant to admit their misspent educations, should realize that you can still have a good time being clueless and simply pay an RV mechanic to look after the more advanced problems. (Stuff like the fridge didn't actually break down, we just blew a fuse.) Maybe the mechanics smirk behind our backs-- but only after they have politely and happily accepted our cash. Good Sam Club & the CAA (AAA) cover a lot of emergency repairs-- not that we have had to use them in the 5 1/2 years we've had the Bambi.

Yes, paying mechanics costs something. But-- compared to what? A bigger, more expensive unit? So long as you aren't restoring an old AS as a hobby, most of us can probably get by with minimal skills.

(Slightly) ashamed but honest , L & J
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #68
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Posting error

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
.....who are so handy, educated, knowledgeable, mechanically-inclined, electrically proficient, and.....
No one here was born knowing nor is it in their DNA...and absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. On the contrary, it's more exciting to those that are just acquiring these new skills than a fellow that has been doing it most of his life. These, without question, are learned skills...that anyone can learn if so inclined. Some learn them out of necessity, lack of money or just plain old interest. It can be handy when tinkering on your rig at home or an invaluable resource while out on the road. Again, anyone can learn these things and will allow you to be more self-sufficient. The best way to learn it is to be around and exposed to people that have already learned it. By listening and reading, you can/will learn answers to questions you never thought to ask yet. A fellow may show up here highly skilled in the repair of outboard motors but the same fellow will be low on the learning curve as it pertains to absorption refrigerators or Airstream's methods of wiring. You don't have to know everything about every Airstream...just need to know about yours. Collectively, the answers are here making this the most valuable resource as it pertains to your hobby. No matter the circumstances, there is somebody here that has been there/done that.

And even after you have acquired the skills, nothing says you can't hand your credit card to the dealership. You may know how to pack your own wheel bearings but it may not necessarily be something you want to do or have time to do before the next long trip. However, knowing what you are dealing with will prevent you from being at a disadvantage should you be in that situation. Sometimes, all it takes is a brief conversation ahead of service for them to pick up on the fact that you know the drill and not one to be excessively charged.

Not indicating that you shouldn't band together with the mechanically-challenged but certainly don't isolate yourself or you will always be mechanically-challenged.

From my experience, the knowledgeable folks are just as happy sharing their hard-earn education with those that don't know but are eager to learn as they are seasoned veterans just looking for specifics.... eager being the operative word here.

Z
Old 06-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1 View Post
Sounds good to me. I still ride 40-50k miles a year and all over the country.

I may be making a run up to Memphis related to Airstream No. 2. I've run into a slight snag on it. It has an HA hitch on it...and my TV is a 2013 Suburban 2500. Chevy put the receiver in the bumper and not below it so it is high (25.75" from top of receiver box to ground). The hitch comes with a 6" drop hitch bar but I need more like a 12". Called Hensley...they offer an 8" drop and don't have or recommend anything longer. I ordered a 3P hitch one month ago today and just got word that it is shipping tomorrow....with an extended hitch bar for the Suburban. Don't really cherish the idea of swapping hitches "in the field" and ultimately, I want the 3P w/ 1,400 lb. bars on my tongue-heavy (950+ lbs. empty) 28-footer.

At any rate, I may just ride my motorcycle up there, finish my business and just hire a truck to haul it home so I can deal with the fab work at my convenience. If where I can, I'll PM you and possibly drop by and buy your lunch. Us rednecks have got to stick together. On my LD bike, I can go 550 miles between fill-ups so I can just about do the whole trip on one "tank" of gas....and that's towing a cargo trailer with me.

This is one of my M/C campers....refriderator/freezer, microwave, hotwater heater, electric & gas heat, 5,500 btu A/C, screen room, LED interior lighting, 12v system (two lithium iron Shorai batteries) with volt & ammeter, 120v shore-power volt meter, on-board air compressor, 7-gallon saddle gas tanks to transfer fuel to the bike on the fly, etc. 570 lbs. total with 14% on the tongue.

Bike has FLIR infrared camera, 3 GPSs, weather radar, Laser Jammer, Radar Detector w/109 db screamer, Doran TPMS, Centramatics, Run-Flat car tire on rear, heated & cooled riding gear, Satellite tracking, video camrera, rally timer, volt meter, auxilary fuel tank on bike w/ digital gauge, two pair of HID driving lights, etc. Other than that, its pretty much stock.

Z
I am considering a ride to the dealership in Southaven Saturday to get my oil changed. After that, I will meet the rest of the family and go see the grandbaby.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:26 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Zackybilly- will the Hensley Arrow be for sale? Maybe I could bring your trailer home for you some Saturday.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #72
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
2009 34' Panamerica
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Zackybilly- will the Hensley Arrow be for sale? Maybe I could bring your trailer home for you some Saturday.
M.Hony,

As it stands right now, it looks like I'm going to have two Hensley's and a ProPride. I only have two Airstreams. For the moment, it looks like the ProPride is going to be the only "plug & play" hitch (should have it the middle of next week). On the Hensleys, I am going to have to do some fab work to use one as Hensley was of no help. I would like to run one PP (on my heavy-tongue 28') and one HA (on the 30' Classic) just for the experience but should have no use for the second HA. One of the HA's has a 6" drop hitch bar and the second, I'm not sure on the drop but will know soon.

You'll be first in line to get the second HA once I figured out what to do to make the first one work. If it turns into more trouble than its worth (fabbing for my application) and the PP works good, I may have two HAs up for grabs and just get a second PP. I have no real strong feelings for or against either hitch...I know the concept is good on both...its a matter of construction that will sway my vote.

As a side note, when talking to Hensley, the fellow (Terry) mentioned that Hensley will buy back a hitch...kind of weird but I suspect after shipping, you'd have enough money to take your family for breakfast at Waffle House assuming a small family.

I'll keep you posted. Hernando is where the trailer is located....Southaven...that's a pretty good ride for an oil change, huh? Any excuse to ride, as usual.

Z
Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #73
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
ZB, sorry-- learning to pack the wheel bearings is just not my idea of a great time. Not saying that it shouldn't or couldn't be someone else's idea of a great time.

My idea of a better time is dropping off the Bambi at the AS dealership service dept. and peeking into the new models; or dropping it off at our town's one RV service centre and doing something in town while the guys deal with it.

We also know that do-it-yourselfers can cause some real problems, like our neighbour's friend with a brand new RV who didn't winterize it properly.

When we first got the Bambi, we were under warranty for a year, and a lot did go wrong then-- which the dealership fixed for free. When camping we often asked other RVers for advice or assistance. We got over the initial timidity and humiliation very quickly. Many RVers seem to be retired blue collar folks. We've made some old guys feel useful and proud as they showed the newbies how to do something or how the whozeewhatsit works.

We do enjoy honing our camping skills, and taking the Bambi to fun places like western National Parks and BC lakeside campsites.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote