Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Delta , British Columbia
Differences Safari SE and Flying Cloud?

Greetings all....I really love these AS forums!! My hubby and I have been searching for several months for our AS and thought we had decided on a new 27' Flying cloud but just this weekend we have found 3 gently used models that appeal to us but we have a couple of questions.
What is the difference between a Safari Spec. Edition and a Flying Cloud? I can't seem to find any Safari in the 2011 model year....has this model been discontinued and if so why?

Other than the price difference what is the diff. between the FC and the International....is it just the interior colours? Any insights helpful.

If we needed an inspection in Winnipeg Manitoba, can anyone help us?

Thanks to everyone who contributes your valuable knowledge, PATIENCE and time so that us about to be "newbie owners" can benefit from your years of experience. It gives us a great deal of comfort knowing we can come here with our questions, no matter how silly they seem to us. Bonus that we get the answers we need!!
Mollys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Charlotte , North Carolina
I recall that they changed the name from Safari SE to Flying Cloud with the 2009 or 2010 model year.
teagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When they changed the name from Safari SE to Flying Cloud in 2009, the only difference I could find on ours and the new one was the name plate.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The last year of the Safari was 2008. The same models, new name in 2009. The Safari SE was an upgraded version of the Safari that filled the space between the International and the Safari. The FC does not have an SE version, so if you want something like that in a new model, you may have to go with an International. The Internationals are more expensive and are styled to look more modern. They have more features as standard. The most expensive trim line is the Classic.

Safari was an entry level Airstream until they came out with the Safari Sport, later just Sport. Now the Sport is entry level and the FC is above it. Airstream recycles names and both Safari and FC are old names that were brought back.

If you want an SE style in a cheaper model, look for a Safari SE. You'll save on depreciation.

For inspectors, go to the Portal page and look on the right side down a bit.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
I think the Flying Cloud is basically the old Safari SE, but you may want to check the specs. I think our SE included an upgrade package with a bigger AC unit, premium sound upgrade and a few others as I remember.
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Delta , British Columbia
Looking at 2008 Safari SE 27' tonight

Hi everyone and thanks for all the information. We are going to look at a gently used Safari SE tonight. Will let you know what happens if anything.

No one in Manitoba or Saskatchewan does inspections. I will try AB. Another member here who I pm'd said he thought the manitoba unit was priced too high. As a newbie all I can do is research others for sale, not always so easy, and hope we make a fair price for what we are getting, not matter what that ends up being, whether locally or somewhere else.

If I take the specs list with us and we check everything off, can someone here let me know if they think price is fair for offering if I pm them tomorrow? Thanks again for all your help. We really wanna be "in the club" and not wannabeeees!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
As I understand it, the SE's had the aluminum interior. Airstream adds a lot of options that may not come with the particular trim line such as panoramic windows. Ours has that plus the premium sound system with HDTV, but not the A/C upgrade to 15,000 BTU.

Did you check Minnesota or North Dakota for inspectors?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Delta , British Columbia
I will check Alberta as well as those states....great suggestions...THANKS again.