Old 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Didn't even THINK of Airstream

DW and I had decided to downsize our 10 year old 32 foot Class C into a lite trailer. We had been looking at trailers that our 2002 Silverado 1500 (5000 pound tow limit) could haul.

We had gone through a bunch of trailers online and had settled on 3 finalists. We had not even THOUGHT of Airstream.

We went to our local dealer because he had one of the 3 finalists, and liked the one we sent to see. It was still on the finalist list. However, we saw an Airstream Sport 16 on the lot and asked to see it.

As soon as DW stepped into the Sport 16, she said "No, it is TOO small," to which the salesman replied "we have a larger model" and took us to a Sport 22FB.

We fell in love. We spent the next 2 hours, or so, between sitting in the trailer and talking to the salesman in the showroom. (He was smart enough to leave us alone.) We then started negotiations. It took us about 2 days, but we finally came to a mutually acceptable deal (though he says we robbed him) and I put a deposit down on it not 30 minutes ago.

It will be 3 weeks before we can pick it up. We are leaving town in 2 days and will be gone almost 3 weeks, but the trailer is ours.

Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Congrats!!
Once you get aluminumitious nothing else will suffice.
You will love your Airstream.
Welcome to AirForums.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Congratulations!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Welcome to the addiction - congrats!

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Aptos , California
Welcome to the AS family. If you have questions in general, use the search box for posts on the forum. Also look under trailers▶Bambi,▶2005 and Newer for specific topics about the 22 Sport. We also have one and think it's perfect for two.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Good Move, Bobbo!
We have a 22' Sport also and LOVE IT.

I have One Absolutely MUST HAVE for you to ask your dealer to install: The 3" Dexter Axle Lift Kit. It's the only serious short-coming (pardon the pun) this model Airstream has. It sits too damn low to the ground and you'll drag the sewer-pipes on gas-station driveways and other objects, trust me.

I installed the kit (it comes in dual axle versions only so you'll only need half the kit.... save the other half and sell it here in the forums), and it's about 4 hours labor. Well Worth IT!

I thoroughly enjoy the rear bumper option I installed also, and now that I have it I consider it a necessity for my own purposes. I'll recommend it and bet you'd enjoy it also, but it's not mandatory.

Don't let them insist on a weight distributing hitch for this model. Definitely NOT needed. You might decide on friction sway control, but even that is optional if you don't insist on towing at the speed of light.

WELCOME to AirStreaming! Join a local WBCCI club!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I'm very handy. Is the lift kit something a homeowner can do? If so, I can do that myself. (The dealer is already installing a rear view camera as part of the deal.)

What is the "rear bumper option"? I have seen no reference to it in any of the documentation.

As far as the weight distribution hitch, my dealership provides and installs with every trailer (unless you don't need them) a weight distribution hitch, 7 pin connector, sway control bar, and a brake controller. I am taking them up on all of the above.

Bobbo
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbo View Post
we finally came to a mutually acceptable deal (though he says we robbed him).....
They all say that! But the bottom line is you got an Airstream you like at a price you are happy with. You're going to love it more as time goes on. Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Bobbo,

Welcome to Air Forums and congratulations on your purchase. You've come to the right place for all things Airstream - very useful information on this web site.

Depending on your level of "handiness" you may be able to install the lift kit. I've not installed one but I have a good understanding of what's involved based on detailed pictures on this web site as well as the information the lift kit supplier provided. If you have a jack, jack stands, a good set of mechanic tools you should be good to go.

I'm glad you've found yourself with an Airstream. In the long run I suspect you will be very happy. Don't get discouraged if there are some issues with your trailer - think of them as opportunities to learn more about the rig. Be sure to get involved with Air Forums rallies and consider WBCCI membership too. Take time to look at all the information on this web site and you'll find plenty of ways to share your love of Airstreams.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Bobbo and welcome to the Airstream community. You're story reminds me of the RV show last year we went to. After spending several hours poking around at the "some other brands" we visited the Airstream display. The quality difference was very dramatic to us. We loved the trailers, including the Sport line.

Airstreams are "forever" trailers. There is a very good chance your Sport will be on the road 50 years from now, with proper maintenance of course. I have a 66 Trade Wind 24', and the wife has her 86 Limited 34 foot. I think this is a testament to the longevity of the trailers.

Be prepared to welcome other Airstream owners when you visit a park. Folks like me want to talk Airstreams when we are out walking the beagle around the campground.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Sweet!

You have made a great decision.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions on the Sport 22.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote