Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #21

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Not to belabor the point, but I did not mention the Classic interiors nor did I mean them to be included in what I wrote. I feel that they are well-designed for someone else's taste, and built with good materials that go well together, but they don't appeal to me.

I don't know how many recent other-brand trailers you've been in, but between what I've seen in my search for a travel trailer for us late 2010/early 2011 and in my recent search for something good/used/large for my sister, I'm going to stand by what I wrote. There's a difference between well-designed but not to my taste and poorly-designed and/or thrown together out of a parts bin.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
RV buyers who like "classic" (lower-case-c) interiors have plenty of choices. Those of us (me included) who want something more modern are left with few options. That's frustrating.

Are most RV interiors "designed?" I started to write some snobby comparsion between builder-"designed" colonial houses compared to my architect-designed late-50s mid-century-modern ranch. But then I stopped myself as the parallel doesn't work.

Your typical SOB has a mix of brown-plaids, fuzzy off-white curtains, vinyl faux tile, and pseudo granite-laminate countertops. I hate that. But the Serenity that I like (very, very much) is simply Airstream leafing through a Wilson Laminart catalog picking more expensive choices and putting them over existing International series cabinetry.

OK, there was quite a bit of design to begin with. Some AS floorplans are pretty innovative. But beyond that, heck, at least a Classic gets unique cabinets. In that vein, the first CCD trailers and the Winnick 75th anniversary trailers were "designed."

But back to the main question: despite a lot of soul-searching, we'll upgrade the Argosy with a newer Airstream. Nothing else tows like that, nothing else looks like that, nothing else has the long-term repairability (it's a hassle, but panel replacement is possible. Even if the company goes out of business, there's always sheets of aluminium). And I fully admit I'll put up with a lot for dual panaromic windows and Vista Views.

After all, if you're going to put up with some ownership headache - and all RVs provide it - might as well be for something you really like...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I am curious. Would you do the same thing again if you had to do it over?

Ken
I might buy an Airstream, but not one needing this much work. If I'd known I'd have 12-15 grand invested, plus all the hours, I'd just have looked for one closer to being ready to go and spent more at purchase time.

If I'd have known then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought this one.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Not to belabor the point, but I did not mention the Classic interiors nor did I mean them to be included in what I wrote. I feel that they are well-designed for someone else's taste, and built with good materials that go well together, but they don't appeal to me.

I don't know how many recent other-brand trailers you've been in, but between what I've seen in my search for a travel trailer for us late 2010/early 2011 and in my recent search for something good/used/large for my sister, I'm going to stand by what I wrote. There's a difference between well-designed but not to my taste and poorly-designed and/or thrown together out of a parts bin.
I understand. I did not think you were talking about the Classics. However someone recently in some other thread made the same "granny's living room" reference referring to the Classics' interior. Since I am married to a granny, that term pulled my chain.

Since neither of us are in charge of certifying designers, I can't argue with your stance on that.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I am Class-ick deprived and as such have little appreciation for the excess, but for lack of that excess would not have the Classics' excess's....understand.

Bob
Old 11-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I am Class-ick deprived and as such have little appreciation for the excess, but for lack of that excess would not have the Classics' excess's....understand.

Bob
"Once you have acquired an excess, it becomes a necessity" *

*Ken 2011.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
It took us over 7 years of shopping before we finally purchased our Airstream. Becky and I were avid tent campers who just got too tired of lugging all of the gear from the garage to the campsite, setting up/taking down the campsite in rain and storms and decided to look at Travel Trailers. We also started renting SOBs just to make sure we liked that style of camping before we sunk too much money into a TT. After a few years of looking (RV shows, Dealerships, etc.) and renting we both decided that what we really wanted was an Airstream. The hunt continued... and continued... We wanted to find a gently used late model Airstream and kept just missing out on the good deals, or would find an AS that just needed more work that we wanted to get involved with. Then I stumbled onto the Airforums site and looked in the classified section. After about a month we found our Airstream in a private party sale posted in the Airfourms. After checking out the AS and spending a couple of hours with the owner, we sent him out so my DW and I could discuss the purchase. Becky's response was "Duh... what are we waiting for!" and the rest is history. We have now had our trailer for ~5.5 months, driven over 5,500 miles, and spent more than 50 nights in it. She was worth the wait, and we can't wait for our next trip!
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The best designs are those which do not try to imitate something it is not, but express the true purpose of what it is. A travel trailer is not a Victorian house, so why should it attempt to look like one. It is not a race car or Cadillac. That is why we wrinkle our noses and find so many trailers unsatisfying, even disgusting.

Airstreams look exactly like what they are, aluminum travel trailers. The shiny metal, rivets, access doors all reinforce that impression. The Airstream interiors are a continuation of that impression, whether Classic, International, Flying Cloud, or vintage. When you step inside an Airstream, you know you are in a travel trailer. It does not try to hide that impression, its wood cabinets, aluminum walls, or dinettes look like travel trailers.

The company has done a good job over 80 years keeping its materials and classic styling consistent. There have been some recent imitators of the concept, such as Earthbound and Vantage, but they are unconvincing copies of the original. Perhaps, they could add fake rivets and paint them silver, but we will not be fooled. We bought Airstreams because they are the original. Some of us knew that from the get-go and never looked back.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Its just cool. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Smile

My wife and I are new to RVing. We began our search last fall, primarily looking at class C's. We always admired the look of an AS. The dealer where we made our first stop had an AS on the lot and of course we had to have a look. As the price of gas continued to climb we decided that maybe we should be looking at a TT. By spring we narrowed our choices to two units, a 2011 21' TT with one slide and a 2008 20' AS Safari. While the new unit was "new" and felt roomier it just did not feel right. Maybe it was all in my head but it just did not feel as "solid" as the AS. In the end we paid twice the price of the new unit and purchased the AS. Although we have worked thru a couple of mechanical issues I do not regret making an AS our first RV experience.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Elora , Ontario
We looked at many other TT's for about a year and just got frustrated with the similarities betwen all the brands - it was imposible to do any real price comparisons, etc. A busines associate kept telling us to look at Airstream's, but we knew that we could not afford one. But he assured us that there were many excellent used ones around so the search began. We very quickly were convinced of the superior value of Airstream's and quite simply fell in love with them. We towed it 6000 miles this summer and cannot wait until next camping season. I don't think I would ever consider a SOB again.
Geobie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The early Clipper interiors -- and the small Streamline trailers of the 1960's -- seem to have the "functional" portion of design aesthetic well tailored to size and use. Nothing extraneous. It's a distinct shame that other manufacturers didn't utilize Streamline aluminum cabinetry.

While on this topic, have all of you had a look at ETN550's My Silver Streak Project (from this post and forward) in re DIY changes to a "granny" interior? (Curtain valances in this instance).

Some suitable changes, new or vintage TT, can take any interior any direction.

Arguably, the Spartan TT's were the nicest of all when it came to interior fit and finish, materials choice, etc.

A good TT is like home buying: worrying over wallpaper, paint colors and a doggy smell shouldn't get in the way of what is otherwise amenable to change, unlike ripping out floors and rotten cabinetry.

I much like Pahaska's functional changes, and am impressed by Bob Thompsons subtle changes on their A/S trailers. Spending time with what others have displayed on AIR beats driving around looking at yet more trailers. There are only so many ways to arrange an interior. Etc.

Seems to take a few years to get it all sorted once purchased. That is the second point: a recommendation of patience.

So, to heck with appliance condition and weirdo wallpaper so long as there are no leaks.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
We had owned a Born Free 23 ft Class C that was an excellent unit and very well built but just too crowded. Sold it and bought a 35 ft Allegro diesel Class A that also was extremely nice with slide out, etc., that was much more spacious. I just never did enjoy driving it and was never comfortable with it on the road. Sold it at my first opportunity.

Some friends had an AS and were completely sold on it so I think some of their enthusiasm wore off on us. We got to looking around and pretty soon we also were sold on AS. After looking at several different models we narrowed our search down and located a '09 27ft Classic online. Turns out the owner was going to be traveling close to where we live so we got to see and inspect it without going very far. We were sold on it from first look and since then we have never back. I think we were very fortunate and blessed to find one that was exactly what we wanted. If I had it to do over, I would do the same thing again.

The only thing I have changed is the tow vehicle to a F 250 Ford Super Duty diesel which is working out quite nicely.

Walter Duffee
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Here's why I wanted an Airstream

Thanks for all the replies, I figured A/S owners were passionate about their trailers and I wasn't wrong.

I've thought about why I wanted one so badly and here's what I came up with:

Back in 1972 I had made my way up to Alaska working on a fishing boat out of Seattle. I ran into some pretty bad luck up there and wound up hitch hiking back to the lower 48 via the Alcan highway, in 1972 the road was gravel and cars sometimes were far and few between.

At one point a very, very large caravan of Airstreams came by - what a site! To this day I still remember what an amazing site (no I did not get a ride )

Among other things when I got back to "real life" I went on to go to flight school and had about a 30 year career as a pilot. The number of hours I spent inside an "aluminum tube" gave me a love of polished aluminum and rivets. There was just no second choice when it came to a trailer, it was Airstream or nothing!

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I have always been drawn to high quality machinery- for cars and motorcycles that meant european products.

For trailers I have always liked the Airstreams and Avions. How could you not like a trailer that was built like an aircraft with aluminum and rivets plus it was aerodynamic. It would be much easier to tow than a square box. I also liked the thought that went into the interiors- plenty of storage and everything had a purpose. And they did not change just to change- only to make improvements. My uncle had a small Airstream and took his family all over the country. He has always had an interesting way of putting things. He said to me: "Dan when you are towing them they are all too big, but when you are living in them they are all too little."

Anyhow, when it was time to buy a trailer, there was only one choice- Airstream. I have never been sorry.
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
We looked at a variety of small trailers before we bought our first Airstream - a Basecamp. There are few things made these days that make you feel special... that the time and work you've put into buying something is worth it. Personally, I think Airstream is loosing their way in terms of quality, but they have the timeless look that still fascinates everyone... it's kind of like being a famous rock-star with all the attention you get...

We ditched the Basecamp, because it was sadly lacking in some areas, but got into a used 22 foot International CCD. In this case, we like the exterior, lots of windows, and the CCD interior again - makes you feel like you are walking into something cool. I'm not as big a fan of the traditional wood-grain interior and much prefer the CCD or Ocean Breeze colours.

Is it worth the price? I'm not old enough, or rich enough, to contemplate $60K+ for some of the bigger brand new AS... I'd expect perfection for that money... and I don't think ANY brand can offer perfection... certainly not Airstream...

For what I paid for my used AS? I think it was worth it for sure.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Appearance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Airstreams look exactly like what they are, aluminum travel trailers.
"Function dictates design"
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
Yes, thorough shoping. We attended several RV shows, both large and small. My wife does not like the exterior look of the AS but once she went inside, she was sold. Particularly after looking at all of the other TT's on the market. We seriously were considering buying a new Arctic Fox which is a very well made, well insulated trailer but heavy. There is just something about an AS though that is special.

While camping at Dinosaur NM in June playing a game in the AS, a group of young children walked by and we heard them say "hey there's one of those old fashion trailers." Loved it.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I started out looking at all types of trailers. I wanted something that would not be a constant maintenance nightmare. I grew up with several motorhomes, slide-ins, house boats, 5th wheels etc. ALL of them had rot problems without fail. Most of the problems were corner seal problems where two sheets of aluminum are joined at 90 degrees and sealed with gum tape and a strip of aluminum with about a million holes in it all of which leak. The material under the metal is stapled together white pine with no wood preservatives.

My logic in buying an Airstream was, at least, it is made of alumimun which is relatively rot tolerant. I am hopeing that eventually the maintenance curve will flatten out and I will just have to maintain it for the next 30 yrs. So far, I have replaced the rear floor and fixed just about every system there is. But I have to think that my 30 yrs old trailer is just now having problems mainly from lack of maintenance. I would have gone through at least 3 SOB trailers in this time period. I also like the fact that it is relatively aerodynamic and light.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Williston , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider
Just curious...

My wife and I decided once we wanted a trailer that it was Airstream or nothing. We never looked at any other brand, for us it was going to be an Airstream or we'd just continue using our class "B" that we traded in for the Airstream.

How about you - what made you buy an Airstream for your first trailer?
My wife and i both without talking about it to each other started to consider a rv one day i mentiond it and she said "i have been thinking about it "after a short talk we both found that we both were thinking airstream. We looked at other rvs but kept coming back to the airstream. Nothing matched our style "old but reliable"smile We went to dealers and got a sticker shock, so off to the internet most were in poor condition, some were as much as a new one. Finally we found it 2008 23 ft. We are the third owner, bought in Canada drove to florida, traded in for a bigger one, bought by local police man who cared for it well. He decided rather than it sitting he would sell. So now it is us, just starting at 60 but after three trips it is just right for us and our pups, couldn,t be better. Not a airstream snob just a happy owner.

Deston
Deston is offline   Reply With Quote