Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
University Place , Washington
My husband and I had been tent campers for many years but finally the old back demanded something more comfortable! I had many happy memories of camping in trailers and cab over campers as a child and started talking to my hubby about an upgrade to our camping routine. I researched and we decided that Airstream was the way to go. The budget demanded used and the search was on. Within about 6 months we located a 24' 1977 Argosy that was in fine condition and purchased it. We didn't even have a truck that would pull it so we purchased a new 2006 Toyota Tundra with the towing package. Love at first sight on the truck for my husband but the trailer he wasn't so sure about, having never towed a thing in his 58 years of life. Now I can say that he loves it through and through. He spit nails several times backing the rig up but now has that under control. We still worry and work over small problems that have occurred with our ongoing restoration project, but trailering with an Airstream is definitely the way to go!

tincanalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1961 26' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1975 20' Argosy 20
Gulfport , Mississippi
We started tent camping after our sons joined the scouts. We really enjoyed it and soon we went from sleeping bags to an air mattress to a raised air mattress. When we decided on a camper, it was my wife who insisted that it had be an older Airstream, because she always liked the way they looked. When we got it home, the first thing she said was, "This is great, it looks just like the one in my first grade reader".

Rick--Airstream of Mississippi
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Keller , Texas
My wife and I both grew up camping with our families, in everything from musty canvas circus-style tents and sleek backpacking domes to pop ups and 20'+ trailers. Both of us have a love for older architecture and craftsmanship (we live in a 1920 Craftsman bungalow), so when we started looking for a trailer of our own, we knew it had to be vintage. We settled on a 20', '65 Globetrotter, and are in the process of making it our own ...
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Yeah, she loves it too!

I have had an obsession with Airstreams for a while. Old cars too. My wife has been just great putting up with my buying old cars. I got a great one (wife). Knowing my fascination with the aluminum tubes, she noticed an old one for sale on her way to work a few years back. The house where it sat was also for sale. After a few visits over a month or so, I struck a deal for the Airstream (64 Globe Trotter) about a week before the owner had to vacate the house- they say that timing is everything! Had to ask him to tow it to my place because I didn't have a tv. Worked on it a bit and a guy saw it and just had to have it so we sold it. My wife liked it but didn't think she'd ever go camoing in it - what with the smells and old style original interior. This past Spring I had the opportunity to buy a 62 Bambi. Wouldn't take much to make it non smelly and cute. Brought it home and she fell for it as soon as she saw it. I've painted, put a new floor in and she has one cushion left to upholster (new foam in all of them). Just got the main awning working today and she is just thrilled. Still need to get a tv and check the propane out but I think I have a partner in crime on this one! Looking forward to a debut by the end of the summer or early fall. By the way, we've never camped before!
1962 16' Bambi (sold )
1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master
1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
May of 2005 we blew the motor on our old SOB motorhome. After being towed into a shop in Yucaipa, CA, I walked into the first AS moho I had ever seen. Love at first sight. A week later, Debbie went into it and had the same reaction. 3 weeks later we bought it. The love affair continues.
Ron and Debbie Lawrence
1985 345 Motorhome...... delightfully tacky......yet unrefined
AIR 7992
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It was the dog's fault.

We rescued one of our cockers, Annie, from the county pound, only to discover (once we were hooked on her), that she had serious health issues which precluded us from "taking vacations" like normal people because we felt we couldn't leave her with anyone, not even even the vet. Sooo...after what seems like a million years of not getting away at all, we started talking about the possiblity of RVing...knowing that the only way we were going to get a vacation was to take the digs with us! I grew up in a camping family, and we'd done the backpacking/tent camping thing through our earlier years, so this was the natural progression, since neither one of us is interested in sleeping on the ground anymore.

We researched, but couldn't decide whether we would prefer a MH or a TT...we finally rented a class C MH for a long weekend...we enjoyed it a lot, and so did the dogs. When we took it back to the RV place we rented it from, there happened to be a small, slightly used MH on the lot...they'd just got it in and the price was right, so we went for it. Neither one of us had to be was just one of those things that feel out of the sky, and we took advantage of it.

That was 3 years ago. We were hooked on the RVing concept very quickly and we really liked our little HM. Then in Jan/Feb this year we returned to our original discussion of MH vs TT...and, having experienced the MH option, we decided that we wanted to make the transition to a TT so we could have more freedom on the road, since we didn't tow a vehicle with the MH and always felt restricted in our mobility once we were at the campsite. We had been looking "casually" at ASs for some time...and really weren't interested in anything but an AS, having been inside a lot of other makes...they just don't compare.

We planned to go through the spring with the MH, then in the summer, to put the MH on the market, sell the car, buy a TV, and eventually an AS...that was a reasonable plan, right? Well, it didn't quite work that way. Within a week, we'd sold our car, bought a truck and put a deposit down on a Bambi we'd been looking at... It was pretty crazy, and I'm sure our friends thought we'd really gone off the deep end...but we were very excited...happily, the MH sold privately after a couple of months, and the neighbors could sigh a sigh of relief that we were'nt going to have both a MH and a TT in our driveway!

The rest is history! Both we and the dogs are happy with our TT life!

TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #35
1976 Argosy 24
Marietta , Georgia
Was the situation reversed and you were the one who got persuaded into a travel trailer or motorhome to eventually become a happy camper?
I was the one persuaded. My DH was a boy scout and really enjoys camping and the great outdoors. I did not camp as a kid and only a few times (with him) as an adult. I do not care for sleeping on the ground or hearing bugs (or whatever) drop on the tent as I try to sleep. There were a couple of leaky tent problems too. He never got wet, it always leaked on me. order to get me camping DH thought "hmmm...we need a travel trailer". Something that we can tow and disconnect from to drive around town. That way I can "sissy camp" (as some of our friends say) and we can enjoy being close to the wonderful scenery. DH liked the idea of the shape of the AS and thought it would be something that would be good to tow and they looked sturdy. We picked out the trailer based on wanting something "vintage" as it is better (hopefully) on the pocketbook as well as needing something big enough to accomodate the family (2 adults and 3 dogs).

We picked up the trailer ('76 Argosy 24') a week and 1/2 ago and have been camping twice (3 locations) since then. I must say that in the heat the A/C was really nice. You can walk around the park / lake and return to the A/C to cool down and then do it again.

I think what sold me on the trailer is that we could stay in the same town as my parents but didn't need to stay at their house. We could go "home". I like having that home base with MY stuff. I guess you can say I am a happy camper now.

aturner4u is offline   Reply With Quote