Old 07-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1994 28' Excella
, Georgia
I persuded my wife last year and now she loves it. It took a couple of months to talk her into it, then a couple of trips and the next thing I know is she is buying more A/S stuff than I am.
We joined the WBCCI last week and will attend our first rally this coming weekend at the TOG.
Owning an Airstream is a dream come true. I have wanted one since I was a child.
It is our haven from the stress of work and it has brought our relationship even closer.
And no new Harley for me anytime soon.

Mike McCrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
River Forest , Illinois
I grew up in a camping family, spending several weeks each year roaming the U.S., Canada and Mexico (My Grandfather started “Trailering” with my father and uncles back in the 1930’s). My wife, on the other hand, thought camping was staying at a Holiday Inn rather than a Hyatt.

Before children, I took her to the Chicago Boat and Camping Show where we toured most of the Class A units. The hook was set – Those Class A’s can convince anyone “camping” can be luxurious. After a couple of tent outings with our three children when they were about 2 and 3 years old, my wife loved how much the children enjoyed camping, but hated every aspect of tenting camping. She told me I had to get something like we saw at the camping show that protected us from the rain, had our own toilet, shower and kitchen. Being a good husband, I did what I was told…

2005 30 Bunkhouse
2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500, 8.1L 4.10 rear axle
Honda 2000
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #17
1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
After a couple of ankle deep in water tent mornings...was no problem.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master
I have a different problem.

My better half prefers motorhomes. ( Actually she doesn't like trailers)( Actually she doesn't like Airstreams because the round corners mean less storage) That's fine. But I am not going to sell my trailer, no how, no way.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
A Little Of Both

It took quite a few yrs to convince DH to go fulltime. Then to come to agreement on which type of RV to buy was the next hurdle. Happily we finally agreed on the AS. Still tying up the loose ends like homebase etc., but should be on our way in a few years to being roaming fulltimers. 'shaker
2006 34' Classic LTD
2010 Ford F250 PSD
Hensley Arrow Hitch
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The beauty of being single is that you never have to convince anyone else of anything you want to do!
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
My wife only went out one weekend in the '77 Excella 500 31' and wouldn't you know it, I had an electrical problem. She burned up. I haven't been able to talk her into going out again in the last 5 years but that is about to change. We're going to a wedding in Triangle, VA. in October and she suggested we take the '86 Sovereign 25'. We'll start out in the morning and lay over in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, TN. The next morning we will head to Fredericksburg, VA. and probably stay at the KOA for the next 5 days. A block of rooms are being saved for guests at $109 per night and the KOA with value card will be around $32 a night during the week and $34 on the weekend. One third the cost is looking pretty darn good even if we burn a little more gas. Washington, D.C. (not my favority high crime city) here we come.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Wifes Idea

Hi, we were looking at motorhomes first. It had to be a class C on a Ford chassis. [Like the box van I had for business] We wanted the smallest one with a Island queen bed. At first a 29'er and eventually down to a 26'er. Next concern was, would it fit in our driveway and under the eves of our house. We weren't retired yet and it would only be used for vacation times and long weekends until we did retire. Therefore, our entire investment would be just sitting in our driveway for long periods of time.
Then we thought, if we get a trailer and tow vehicle, only half of our investment would be sitting in our driveway waiting for long weekends, vacations, or retirement. And we could still drive our tow vehicle. My wife wanted an RV that wasn't a box. So we started looking at Airstreams, first used and then new.
Actually the RV idea came about because we just don't like Hotels and Motels; We want our own bed Etc. when traveling.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
No persuasion is necessary here. Ever since we bought our first one, our love of Airstreams is mutual. Now, she's the one who wants to "rescue" all the "abandoned" used Airstreams she sees at RV dealerships, in the classifieds, and on the side of the road. If she had her way, we would have a whole yard full of projects. In other words, the perfect woman.
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1986 31' Sovereign
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
No persuasion is necessary here. Ever since we bought our first one, our love of Airstreams is mutual. Now, she's the one who wants to "rescue" all the "abandoned" used Airstreams she sees at RV dealerships, in the classifieds, and on the side of the road. If she had her way, we would have a whole yard full of projects. In other words, the perfect woman.
That's great, and I'm glad to concur! My wife first saw an Airstream on Grey's Anatomy and fell for them straight away. She says they're horny and calls me McDreamy. She also wants a Bambi we can trail for a while before converting to an office for her business. Result!
Hampshire, UK
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
I have finally persuaded my husband!!

I'll be posting as a 'newbie' in a few minutes...but to make it short here, my late husband and I had a '73 Land Yacht and loved it. After he died I sold it. Now I am remarried and have been obsessing over finding another AS to love. We are on our way to Seattle tomorrow AM to buy a '68 Overlander...I will be on here all the time for restoration advice!
New husband is as excited as I am (almost.
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #26
2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
We attend a number of Road and Mt Biking events each year. Some involve camping. I had no trouble with a tent, but, I quickly realized this form of lodging would never accomodate my wife and the many many personal items so necessary for the trip. Motels are an option, but even at the nicer ones you wonder about who has been lying on the comforter and what they may have done with the TV remote.
Then we went to a huge RV show in Tampa. ( Just to look ). We kept coming back to the Airstreams as they seemed so much better built than the other TT's.
Managed to leave there as the proud owners of a 28' Int. CCD. Later, on the way home we wondered what the heck we had done. But, the rest is history. Now we travel at every opportunity in the comforts of home. Plus, we have a wonderful activity in common which has allowed our relationship to bloom even further.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #27
We can tow it!
1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Originally Posted by henw
Plus, we have a wonderful activity in common which has allowed our relationship to bloom even further.
Well put!! My hubby likes to solve problems and fix things, and we both love to travel, so we started with a vintage and worked our way to a 96 excella.
Steph in MI Air# 6996-
I Hockeytown USA!!
tin sista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
alterior motives

I went camping as a kid in my Grandpa's 1968 25' Norris travel trailer - I have loved trailers ever since. The problem is that mom and dad only liked the living out the car, motel - go like hell vacations.
Fast forward to the mid 1990's - got married to a lovely woman who likes to camp. Have been tent/backpacking quite a bit. I started toying with the idea of buying a trailer - she wasn't too keen on the idea.
Last September we flew to Oregon for a family visit and we rented a motorhome for 5 days (my alterior motive to convince her that Rv would be good for us). Needless to say she fell in love with RV'ing - having food, toilet and bed with you at all times. I looked for a trailer over the winter and found a fixer upper in the spring. I still have some more work to do but I plan on a trip of some kind this fall.

crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote