Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Did You Persuade your Mate into an Airstream?

Did you get aluminum fever and have to persuade your partner into trying RV travel only to find out that they actually like Airstreaming?

Was the situation reversed and you were the one who got persuaded into a travel trailer or motorhome to eventually become a happy camper?

Let me hear from you. Post here or send me a private message.
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
I first saw the Basecamp from the highway on my way to a photo assignment. Since I had more than a few minutes to kill, I stopped for a look. I spoke with the saleman (Patrick at Colonial), he gave me a brochure, and I was on my way. When Liz got home that night, she looked at the brochure I had left on the kitchen table... the rest is history. BTW - I was planning on buying a new Harley, NOT a trailer! Ooops!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
Contratulations!

Was Liz eager to get an RV or was she reluctant? In short, did you have to talk her into the RV lifestyle?

Anyone else out there who had to talk their mate into the RV lifestyle?

Anyone who would like to talk their mate into the RV lifestyle, but are finding they are reluctant to try it?
Communicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We both camped with our respective parents as kids although my side camped far more than my wifes. As newly weds the only way we could afford to go anywhere was to camp so it was natural. I've lusted after an Airstream as well as most of my cars since I was a kid so I don't know when my wife got interested in Airstreams - I think it was just a natural step. We started looking seriously at them in the mid seventies but couldn't find one we both liked. We both knew from the start it had to be 50's or older vintage just because that fits the lifestyle we have. It took a long time and a lot of SOB's under our belts before we hit on the "right" Airstream. Again there was no discussion, it was "this looks right, it feels right, how much money do you have in your wallet and me in my purse" type of thing. Made an offer just above half the asking price, they said yes, combined our pocket cash and towed it home. Life is good.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Having camped/RVd since the mid 60's we were aware of Airstreams. What really got us into them was a trip in 2002 to The South. In Paducah KY we saw a couple in their late 80's or early 90's that were able to handle an Award tt.

We came home and started exploring travel trailers; went to look at Airstreams (couldn't find an Award dealer). I wanted a Safari -- lesser weight. Brenda wandered off (got loose) on the lot and discovered a "fancy" (had mirrors) Safari--it was a Classic--weighed more

Then it turned out that our Jeep GC would not pull it safely and I had to do Crazy Ivans to see behind the rig...had to get an Expedition. So you see it is all her fault.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
On an non-RV trip about two years ago, we started dicussing whether we would enoy traveling via RV. We did some research and decided that we would enjoy it. Upon further reasearch, we decided on a travel trailer. When that decission was made, we both knew simultaneously that it had to be an Airstream. We both wanted to RV in a unique style. 151 nights on the the road in our beloved Lucy, and we still love it!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
My wife (then girlfriend) and I started browsing RV lots a couple of years ago. At the time I knew NOTHING about anything RV-related. It was all her idea. :-)

The Airstreams really stood out. Our local dealership only had a couple on the lot. And even though several of the other brand trailers (ie. 5th wheels) offered tons of living space, the interiors and finishes were...well, you know. Airstreams were unique!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Communicator
Contratulations!

Was Liz eager to get an RV or was she reluctant? In short, did you have to talk her into the RV lifestyle?

Anyone else out there who had to talk their mate into the RV lifestyle?

Anyone who would like to talk their mate into the RV lifestyle, but are finding they are reluctant to try it?
Liz has always loved the look of Airstreams, even though she never camped until she met me back in '85. She loves camping, but at our age, sleeping on the ground (or rather getting off the ground in the morning), isn't too much fun. The Basecamp is ideal for our flavor of camping, close enough to tenting without contending with terra firma and morning back aches!

Funny, after spending the $$$ on the Basecamp, there wasn't any money left over for the Harley Heritage Softail Classic, I wonder how she worked THAT out?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
My wife and I both grew up camping with our families, but didn't do any after high school until we decided to get an Airstream. One of my employee's brother-in-law had a early '70's International for sale and I told my wife and she was all for it. Then I found out through this forum how much work it could be to keep it on the camping trail so we decided we were better off buying new. Now we have been camping for over a year in our '06 Safari and loved every trip! (even the ones that resulted in damage, oops!)
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
We were both tent campers and VW bus campers but never RV campers. I had never towed anything but a small pull behind trailer so it was a little intimidating getting a 21'. We dove in head first not knowing anything about how everything worked. It's really been a great experience for the two of us and even better are the friendships we've made through our trials and tribulations of this adventure!
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
After dealing with a pop-up for 2 years It didn't take much, just look honey we can just back in and plug up (that's all) Now if after almost 3 years I could get him to help me work on it Also still working on him to get a second one.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Smile Always knew we wanted to do this - Came down with Aluminum Fever later

Many years of Scouting in my youth is what got me started. Pat also had some Girl Scout experience, so when we married and moved to Idaho, we started tent camping using rented equipment. That came to an end during college and our first child, but after the birth of our second (and last), we bought a Jayco pop-up camping trailer.

We took that trailer all over the Southwest, Midwest, and eventually to Florida, where we sold it when the kids became teenagers and didn't see camping with parents as being very cool. Then we went backwards. When we became "empty nesters" we joined the Florida Trail Association and started tent camping again.

As retirement approached, we knew we wanted to do some extended travel, and didn't want to be setting up tents every night. We started looking at small motor homes. We still wanted to be able to set-up in the State and National parks and forests, so we didn't want anything too big. Pat started wondering if we would get tired of being in the same vehicle we drove in all the time, and then there was the question of what to do for transportation after you have set up.

On our way home from an RV show, we passed someone pulling a 16' Bambi. "That’s cute!" "Do they still make those?" We went from the 16' to the 19' to the 22' and finally to the 23' quite rapidly before we found the "sweet spot" for us in size and budget.

So, I guess you could say that we both came down with aluminum fever at the same time, and we both knew this was something we wanted to do for a long time. Our first big trip is coming soon. We're heading to Jackson Center, and then Traverse City Michigan the end of September. Our intent is to follow the leaves changing colors back to Florida, and stop at Falluminum on the way back to reconnect with our forum friends and make some new ones.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
1973 25' Tradewind
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
I was never fond of trailers, being a Boy Scout, that meant camping was a tent. My passion was boating. My wife's parent had trailers but I still insisted on tenting.
Then came the 1993 vacation, two weeks traveling and camping in New England. Very nice until it had rained 11 straight days. After staying with a frind in Maine and drying out . Our last campground for that trip was a Holiday Inn.
By this time the inlaws had an airstream and had been involved with the New Jersey Unit and Jersey Shore Haven campground.
When we got home and really dried out, we asked the inlaws if they knew of anyone selling a trailer.
Our 1971 31' Excella had been our home for camping ever since. The license plate still has the frame "I'd rather be Boating".
An interesting other note.
We went to the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Rally and were very impressed with the fact that a lot of those had more than one Airstream.
We came home and started looking.....

Tom & Barb Beitz
DelValley NJ Unit
Riverton NJ
Riverton, NJ
tfbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Yes, I pushed my husband into this.

We are old backpackers that have grown tired of the sleeping on the ground, carrying everything on our backs and no toilet routine so we have been condo and hotel traveling the last few years. My first friend in the world (our mom's were pregnant at the same time 63 years ago) had a 40' RV that they full timed in half the year (from Michigan). I liked to hear about their adventures and would try to see them when they were nearby.....then I had to arrange to have some antique furniture I inherited taken from Missouri to LA and I decided to drive there and we rented a UHaul trailer.....that worked out okay so the trailer seed was planted....we then went to a RV show and got captured by a Country Coach saleman who even let us drive a big 34' MH.....my husband was intrigued and wanted to buy it.....I said, "No, we don't even know how we would use it." Also I got dizzy looking at the huge box of Warranty forms that Country Coach will file for you. And the idea of a trailer having a lot less things that can go wrong appealed to me as well as the fact that it is smaller and can go places big RVs cannot.

So then I started seriously researching the different RV's and decided I didn't want a big MH that we would have to tow a car and besides we had a new Toyota V8 truck and I started thinking travel trailer. Looked at tear drops and pop ups and thought no toilet, moved on to Hi Lo's and other stick box trailers....then I read about Vintage Airstreams and I was hooked...I was possessed with getting a "Vintage" Airstream......my husband wasn't convinced since he didn't want to work on an old one and wanted a new one if at all. But I didn't think we could safely tow a new 27' FB Airstream that we both fell in love with and I was concerned about the cost since we didn't even know if we would like RVing.....so I found a 1969 27' Overlander on ebay that had been mostly refurbished.....new upholstry, no old smells, etc. We have added a gray tank, laminate flooring, several $$$ more. My husband was a great sport about getting a brake controller and going to RV driving school because road biking is his real love. I could tell he didn't like the oxidized look--especially parked next to a newer one. So I found someone who polished her and we now have a beautiful shiny Airstream and he is much happier. We just attended the California Streamers Rally this past weekend and had a great time. So yes, I pushed really hard to get my husband to agree to this aluminitis obsession that I have but he is really rising to the occasion and is participating totally...I am so lucky. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
, Georgia
I persuded my wife last year and now she loves it. It took a couple of months to talk her into it, then a couple of trips and the next thing I know is she is buying more A/S stuff than I am.
We joined the WBCCI last week and will attend our first rally this coming weekend at the TOG.
Owning an Airstream is a dream come true. I have wanted one since I was a child.
It is our haven from the stress of work and it has brought our relationship even closer.
And no new Harley for me anytime soon.
Mike McCrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
2022 27' Globetrotter
River Forest , Illinois
I grew up in a camping family, spending several weeks each year roaming the U.S., Canada and Mexico (My Grandfather started “Trailering” with my father and uncles back in the 1930’s). My wife, on the other hand, thought camping was staying at a Holiday Inn rather than a Hyatt.

Before children, I took her to the Chicago Boat and Camping Show where we toured most of the Class A units. The hook was set – Those Class A’s can convince anyone “camping” can be luxurious. After a couple of tent outings with our three children when they were about 2 and 3 years old, my wife loved how much the children enjoyed camping, but hated every aspect of tenting camping. She told me I had to get something like we saw at the camping show that protected us from the rain, had our own toilet, shower and kitchen. Being a good husband, I did what I was told…
Air #99
WBCCI #8895 (Grandpa's number from the 1960's)
Rick Gillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #17
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
After a couple of ankle deep in water tent mornings...was no problem.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Rivet Master

I have a different problem.

My better half prefers motorhomes. ( Actually she doesn't like trailers)( Actually she doesn't like Airstreams because the round corners mean less storage) That's fine. But I am not going to sell my trailer, no how, no way.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
A Little Of Both

It took quite a few yrs to convince DH to go fulltime. Then to come to agreement on which type of RV to buy was the next hurdle. Happily we finally agreed on the AS. Still tying up the loose ends like homebase etc., but should be on our way in a few years to being roaming fulltimers. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
The beauty of being single is that you never have to convince anyone else of anything you want to do!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote