Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Did anyone else hyperventilate the night before they ordered an Airstream?

Hello, everybody!

I've been subscribed to these forums for over ten years now and was lurking even a year or two before that. The time has finally arrived-- my husband and I are going to order an Airstream first thing tomorrow morning.

This has been my dream since I was a little girl of no more than five or six years old. I was fortunate to spend a lot of time vacationing in first a truck camper and then a motorhome while growing up, and I'm quite sure I've had aluminitis since I first laid eyes on an Airstream (or one of Airstream's vintage cousins).

So here we are at last, and I've been close to hyperventilating much of the day. My husband is as calm as can be (remind me one of these days to reveal how I managed to manipulate convince my beloved spouse to buy into this dream of mine!) Not me. I'm a nervous wreck! I've waited so very long for this day to come. Normally I'm the level head you want around in a crisis situation, but tonight my pulse is racing. Sleeping is probably right out.

Why? I'm not sure… is it because I'm afraid we're going to make the wrong choice? No matter what we order, it's still going to be an Airstream! Okay, so we're still dithering over the 50 amp upgrade, leaning towards opting for it, but that's minor. Honestly, I am less worried about the trailer than the truck.

Was anyone else like this when they finally went to purchase or order an Airstream? Is there some temporary stage where aluminitis becomes critical? Maybe I should cuddle up with a box of aluminum foil so I can make it through the night?

I suppose I should introduce us a little further-- in spite of my screen name, my name is Jamey and my husband is John. We live in Albuquerque, NM. We are scheduled to finalize an order for an International Signature 28 (with the salsa ultra leather!) tomorrow morning. And then we're planning to order the tow vehicle next week (unless we find a used one we like).

Please let me reassure you that by the time you see me behind the wheel of a 3/4-ton diesel truck (I do most of the driving), towing our Airstream to meet you at a future rally, I WILL be back to my usual level-headed, highly analytical self. Really, you won't need to run for the hills… unless it takes me 15 or more tries to get the thing properly parked and you're opposed to hearing a few choice four-letter words.

NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Your unbridled excitement is refreshing. ROLL WITH IT. (But not the roll of aluminum, that will not satiate the aluminitis)

ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Try not to get all worked up. Aluminumitus has many phases, and you are in the initial self-doubt part because your dream is about to be realized.

A long-standing dream, once fulfilled, can be a bit of a letdown, but in this case, the benefits of being able to travel in an Airstream will outweigh the second- guessing you are going through now.

Your husband is a rock for you now...enjoy the process and the ride.

Our family acquired an Airstream because our youngest son had the inspiration and the money to get one. He was also an avid camper and Eagle Scout, and has a really bad case of aluminumitis for a long time. He managed to hold onto the airstream in spite of army deployment, a messy divorce, and a lot of travel. He's the second owner of this one, and it's already a family heirloom. It's the way they are. My wife and I get to use it and own it now, and get to maintain it so we all can enjoy it.

Yeah, it's a big investment in money and time, but believe me, it's worth the pain.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Hehehe... Quite....normal.....gasp...I hear.
Ours is "previous loved"... So we are Caretakers #3.

My excitement, being a used AS had other concerns than a new....I.e.; is this going to survive the tow home? What have I missed??? Etc.

Since we have almost exclusively bought new vehicles for security of warranty/safet/ need to travel for family visits, etc, buying something like the AS... We had sleepless nights. Mostly for my wife.

In hindsight, there are lots to learn and even AS is unique. Enjoy learning!

We purchased our TV before the AS so were sorta prepared... But that proved a learning curve, too. Nothing a clearly panicked analytical crazy guy couldn't figure out, with enough heavy panting of breath and fading vision...

Go for the 50Amp... You can still plug in to other power classes with proper adpter(dogbone)...you just will not be able to use too many gadgets. Also, AC#2 is advisable in Texas...which we like because I can better balance the cooling/heat with separate units. Also, if one fails I have a backup without ruining the trip...

Congratulations on achieving the dream...having someone who lets you "help" with decisions! Have a blessed adventure!
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Are you more or less anxious than the day you were married? Children? The Airstream is a thing. Don't get me wrong. Represents happiness to me. I feel good when I'm heading out to camp. Sure, its a lot of money but its still a thing. Relax. Lots of us buy this trailer or that tow vehicle then later change our mind. Its human nature.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I think my pulse is slowing and my blood pressure dropping.

I've analyzed every aspect of this purchase for such a long time (I'm the one who deals with all the financial stuff). We spent a lot of time figuring out whether or not we had the skill set to restore a vintage unit or whether we were better off with a newer or even new unit. I've put together several spreadsheets to tally various aspects of the floor plans we've considered. We're already putting together our checklists and supplies and more. I'm pretty sure my friends and family are sick of hearing about vintage and modern Airstreams, Airstream history, well... Airstream everything (thank goodness I ensured the spouse caught aluminitis over a year ago, huh? He can mostly keep up with me now!)

At some point, you know the time is right. The day comes when you're tired of making excuses for not doing something you really want to do-- it can be easy to fall into that rut, but it is a very disappointing path to follow!

Fortunately, I think we're pretty realistic about what we're going to be able to do for the time being. We're middle-aged, childless, and we currently have no pets. We anticipate getting to know some of the folks in the shop at our local dealership quite well during the warranty period especially and accept that this will all be part of the adventure. My husband's older brother and his wife live here and are seasoned rv-ers, and goodness knows we'll pick their brains on lots of related subjects and rely on them to not laugh too hard when we initially make fools of ourselves.

Cwf, I believe that knowing one has a back-up if one of the AC units fails is the best reason I've heard to convince me to go with the 50 amp service. It's definitely good to have a back-up plan when the temperatures hit the triple digits.

I haven't been camping in an RV in approximately 28 years, and we gave up on tent camping a little over a decade ago for various reasons. Wow, but I've missed it! I'm sure I'll begin the countdown as soon as I sign the check for the deposit tomorrow.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:54 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You are in for a lot of fun. I think you may be psyching yourself out about how much trouble it will be. I think you're going to have a lot of trouble-free adventures in your new home away from home. Enjoy the time you will spend getting to know it! You are lucky to be able to get exactly what you want - congrats!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Clovis , New Mexico
Did anyone else hyperventilate the night before they ordered an Airstream?

You are definitely not alone about staying up the night before-I was doing the same thing back when we decided to make the leap with a brand new Airstream in 2012. The night before we were to go to the dealership to sign the paperwork/take home the trailer, we stayed at a nearby hotel (supposedly one of the nicest in that area) and I kept second guessing myself all night (my husband was perfectly serene-once he decides something, he doesn't waste time wondering if he's made the right choice). Truthfully, I was asking God for a clear sign we were making the right choice. Well, my prayers were answered at 6:30 am in the morning-we were woken by a trio of shrieking women in the adjoining room who were convulsing in laughter as they were taking turns loudly insulting each other. This went on for a good 40 minutes. Needless to say, we headed to the dealership that morning with a certain spring in our step, knowing we were making the right choice!
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Noname - stop worrying - be happy - enjoy. 50AMP and Solar is how we went on this one our third, both seem to be a good decision. Solar kept our batteries at 100% thru the winter in PA.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Your supposed to Hyperventilate when you take delivery
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 06:32 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Jamey, we live 100 miles from you and can visualize the physical steps you will take today! As if a switch had been flipped, all analysis paralysis and anxiety changed to an amazing sense of peace and excitement within minutes of placing our order. Hopefully the same will happen to you. Our Airstream remains in Jackson Center for a few more days before rolling full steam ahead toward blue skies and clear, crisp mountain air!

Surely you need not call the cardiologist for your racing heart! In your circumstance it is likely indicative of being alive and well.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
PurdueMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #12

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It's an exciting time. Do what feels right. May you have many great Airstream Adventures.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
The decision to order ours was easy. I started hyperventilating the day I ordered it waiting for it to get here! That's been my problem! I know you are going to love your new Airstream! Take a deep breath and enjoy!!

Laura & Tom
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
So....did you order it? How long did they tell you you will have to wait for it?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote