Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #21
Idiot Savant

1967 22' Safari
Auburn , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
cursh, i might actually have a trailer that would fit your needs, and i'm looking to downsize from 4 trailers to 3.

right now, sitting in my driveway are a '64 globetrotter, '62 bambi & '59 18D (a one-off). ...
and i'd be delighted to help you with this project in other ways, being in the midst of gaining a Sustainable Building degree ...

at the very least, you could come take a look at 3 trailers ....
That sounds fantastic! Let me get some sketches together with a free weekend and I would love to swing over and look at things/pick your brain.

-Ben
Cursh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
It's not an Airstream, but the "MiniHome" is a trailer and embodies some of the "off grid" concepts that may be of use.

sustain | design | studio | miniHome
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
sure thing, cursh!
just give me enough lead time to make sure i have no plans that weekend. actually, at this moment, i don't have any plans at all, not even for the rest of the day. except to maybe finish my coffee & get dressed.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Just an update ... Cursh & his buddy Harry came by last week & had a fine time kicking the tires on a few of my Airstreams. Of all things, he liked the '59 18D (Pacer-ish) the best because it offers a little more height than, say, a Bambi.

We had fun! He has this wacky idea of a combo sink/wok that I wasn't quite feeling, but other than that we really did some fun thinking outside the curve. Even my b'friend who hates the trailers joined in a little.

These boys have it made in that Cincinnati arts program -- for every few months spent in school, they spend an equal amount of time in internships all over the country.

And I picked up a few pointers for my final project in 3D Modeling (AutoCAD), which will of course involve Airstreams (the visual equivalent of "write what you know).
Old 10-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
So are you short a trailer or did they just look?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
These boys have it made in that Cincinnati arts program -- for every few months spent in school, they spend an equal amount of time in internships all over the country.
I went through that at the Univ of Cincinnati College of Engineering. The program started in 1903; participation was required for graduation.

It was a great way to "pay-as-you-go", as you could make enough working alternating quarters to pay the tuition. And you were practically guaranteed a job on graduation as you had almost two years of solid engineering OTJ experience.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Wow, Mark, that is just a really smart way to put a program together. It adds up to a 5-year program for them, but just think how much better equipped you were to not only find a job, but to know what you wanted to focus on.

Shari, Ben will ideally find a trailer that is more stripped down than my '59, which is in pretty good shape, since he wants to start from total scratch. But he's relieved to know that there's one available that suits his needs should he not find anything else. He has to have it by Christmas if anyone hears of something.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursh
As for the skeptics know that I am a design student. I have been in school for 5 years learning how to solve problems efficiently. Alot of problems can be solved in ten weeks when all you have to do is solve problems and you only sleep 4-5 hours a night.
ah, the innocence of youth.

it's going to be nearly impossible to do the kind of project you want to do in 10 weeks. don't get me wrong, i'm an optimist too, but i live in the real world.

check out this thread that has links to major renovations that have been done/are currently being done. you'll notice most if not all have a track record well over a year...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
well, between his network of engineering/design friends & the school's facilities, he has access to an impressive amount of expertise & equipment.

haven't heard from him since he left but i think the biggest handicap is lack of experience with real airstreams. for instance, understanding the way travel shakes up their insides.

since he wants to live in his full time, off the grid if possible AND pull it with his Audi wagon, that presents, uh, challenges. Like, where do the 12 deep-cycle batteries go?

But I was able to fill him in on some of the roadblocks to watch for & show him what works well & what doesn't on the various trailers.

He had good ideas for an awning with solar cells that would also collect rainwater (don't they all?!) ... and I thought my b'friend had a good idea of having awnings on each side of the trailer, one for solar & lounging, one for rainwater & storage -- maybe a carport?

anyway, it's always fun to hear someone else's ideas.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #30
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
check out this thread that has links to major renovations that have been done/are currently being done. you'll notice most if not all have a track record well over a year...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html
Funny how they all start off SO optimistic, too, huh? I'm one of em!

Quote:
He had good ideas for an awning with solar cells that would also collect rainwater (don't they all?!) ... and I thought my b'friend had a good idea of having awnings on each side of the trailer, one for solar & lounging, one for rainwater & storage -- maybe a carport?
Carport? ha! cool! I always thought a Spartan Manor would be cool with awnings on both sides... but it's got doors on both sides, too.

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:36 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can
Funny how they all start off SO optimistic, too, huh? I'm one of em!
i think i said 3 months from start to finish when i first brought home my flying cloud.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:31 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Hey cursh,

Here's one that might appeal to you, already gutted and ready to go (I know it's too long for your requirements, but you just *might* happen to change your mind at some point...):

1961 Streamline on eBay

The cool factor is already high in this one...

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote