Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Alexandria , Virginia
David Winick, here we come?

We've been talking about an Airstream for a few years, and I've been researching madly, and reading airforums far too frequently! Early this year, we came across the 2007 75th Anniversary Bambi designed by David Winick. Big mistake; they are too cute for words! There are only the two of us -- well, and two Chihuahuas, but they don't take up much space -- so we're thinking a 23' trailer. Perhaps a Winick custom? We tend to be buy-it-once & get-what-you-really-want folk, so we need to chose wisely. I'd so appreciate your thoughts...

Thank you, all, for sharing your airstream experiences. All y'all are a font of knowledge, for which we are very grateful.

Warm regards.
LilBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Kansas City , Kansas
I don't think you can go wrong with a Winick trailer [emoji6][emoji106]

My only question is would you be a first time trailer owner? If not then you probably know what you want in your next trailer. But if it will be your first trailer then it would be a good idea to get some first hand experience before making such a large investment. Maybe buy a used trailer that is roadworthy but nothing fancy, just to get a season under your belt. Then you will quickly figure out exactly what you want and still be able to camp while your trailer is being built! (Assuming you meant contracting a custom trailer with DW)
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
LilBird,

Welcome to the forums and good luck in your search. We agree with "Life", it's hard to go wrong with an Airstream and especially the '07 or any custom Winick.

Some of our opinions, in answer to your request for thoughts about the 23 ft; we have been using our '64 Safari (22') for about 10 years and have enjoyed it greatly. It's generally plenty roomy for the two of us and fits into almost any campsite we've encountered. One important consideration for us, was that we could have a bed where we each could get out on our own side. Unfortunately, getting up during the night has become more common over the years. We were able to build that concept into the restoration back in 2006. If interested, we documented the '64 on a website. (64airstream.com) Apologies that we haven't updated it for a long time.

All that said about the 22' trailer, I need to also say, we finished restoring a '68 Overlander (26', which is actually 27' long) this March and have spent about 21 nights in it so far. We did a similar design with the front bed and converted one of the twin beds into a dinette/bed arrangement. (It's documented here on the forums under "1968 Overlander - Shiney Reaveal") We're liking it even more than the 22'. That extra 5 ft really seems to make a big difference. So, as you decide, think about comfort as you sleep and as you move around passing each other for daily activities, like, making a meal, reading on a rainy afternoon, enjoying a movie or watching the news, or whatever you do. You may consider just going to a dealer's lot and sitting in one or another for an hour or so and walk or think through your activities.

Enjoy the decision process and then enjoy your new adventures,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 28' Pottery Barn
Alexandria , Virginia
2 sides to every story :)

@64airstream

I hadn't thought about a "two-sided" bed, but you're definitely on to something - and for just the reason you posted! Similarly, the ability to visit parks with trailer size restrictions is an important consideration, as is maneuverability around tight roads with switchbacks. Decisions, decisions!

I appreciate your willingness to share photos of the restoration/renovation project on the '64. Beautiful job; no wonder you love it! You all are far more clever than we; our tool box is woefully lacking. It is for just this reason that we are looking at a Winick custom. From what (little) I've seen of the '07 Winick Anniversary Edition, every square inch of space is used to maximum advantage, such that the space seems bigger than it is. I'm hoping that, given 4 more feet, he would be able to incorporate every heart's desire... including a bed big enough for two!

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
LilBird is offline   Reply With Quote