Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I have no opinion on this Caravan other than my vacation rule when leaving America.

Don't vacation where people are shooting at each other.

Dale,

How did the trailers hold up on these extreme Caravans? What were the common breakdown items and what was the most unusual? I ask this as I am often off road with mine.

I had called G&C in Bellflower to ask about adding ground clearance for off roading and Rod told me to "Do what Wally did. Go slow. He made it from Capetown to Cairo like that." So far I have to tell you our trailer has been all over the Mojave and Sonoran desert with out any ill effects. I attribute this to going slow.

Milo
Milo,

I knew Chuck and George when I worked at Airstream prior to their branching off into their own business. Chcuk was a really great foreman in the cabinet shop, and George was great in the metal department as Foreman. Two great guys and a great organization.

Dale
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Wow! Welcome to the forums Dale. It's like having a direct link to Wally...well I guess that's because you are!

I think we all look forward to having you as a member of our close knit group of Airstream aficionados. Please don't consider this to be a one way information highway. Feel free to ask us questions too. I'm sure we would feel honored if we could answer questions for you about our newer Airstream experiences and compare them to the experiences you had when our nation's travel infrastructure was less mature.

For example, we have a 30' Safari Bunk and camp with our 7 & 10 year old sons. To my knowledge, this is the only "two bedroom" floor plan that Airstream ever made. It can get tight at times, but we really enjoy it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
I second that Wow and also extend my welcome to the fourms. I look forward to reading your thoughts on Airstreams and the WBCCI here in the forum threads.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Wow! Welcome to the forums Dale. It's like having a direct link to Wally...well I guess that's because you are!
So, Dale, how are you at "channeling"? Just kidding, we know Wally and Stella are too busy out camping wherever they happen to be....

I'm sure as a group of over 20,000 members we can overwhelm you with thoughts and requests right at the start.

So, the all important question - are you going to acquire another Airstream and get out and away from that computer? I suspect you'd have a lot of fun hitting the various Forums camp outs.

Take care and glad to have you on board. We are sort of Andy's crew - he's the one who has made this forum possible, with a lot help from the moderators over the years.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #45
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Actually, I was speaking from a historical context.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Hey, nice picture and write up about you in Rich Luhr's blog today. I bet your archives are amazing and love to hear more stories.

Tour of America

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Hey, nice picture and write up about you in Rich Luhr's blog today. I bet your archives are amazing and love to hear more stories.

Tour of America
It was a blast having Dale at the FCU Rally in AZ.

His lecture style. (Hi, My name is Dale but call me Pee Wee. Any questions?) was great. Questions led to answers which led to stories which led to more questions and a couple of hours flew by in a wink.

Dale stayed around afterwards and visited and told "other" stories. He had me laughing so hard I thought I was hurting myself,

Dale is one of those folks who's happy inside and it comes out in humor and sadly puns.

He also brought along a trunk load of artifacts and a slide show. I actually saw some blueprints of Wally's build it yourself trailer! The Holy Grail exists and was seen. He had sooo much cool original Wally and Airstream stuff you could not believe it!

After listening to Dale for a night and visiting with him around the campfire I'd go buy an Airstream if I did not have one already This guy can really show you whats it's all about.

Would somebody please give Dale an Airstream so he could travel around and share this stuff with everyone?

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:02 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
Would somebody please give Dale an Airstream so he could travel around and share this stuff with everyone?
Well I am sorely sorry I missed out on that fun! Yes Free PeeWee!! If Sandra Bullock can have an Airstream than shame on Airstream for not sending Pee Wee on the road in style! He's worth his weight in Gold to we Airstreamers. Where's that petition?...

Do you have a link for pictures of the rally?

photography
Old 02-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #49
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Do you have a link for pictures of the rally?
Some pictures can be found here,

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...eps-36757.html

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
People came from all over, what a showing! Richard and Jan really know how to throw a rally. Enjoyed the pictures and all that sunshine and all those smiles. My favorite picture? Dale's caption and picture with the alternative headwear, "And the curtain falls on the last act of Peep Show."

photography
Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #51
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
My history goes back to birth in 1938. I was born into the Schwamborn Family. My Mother was a first cousin of Wally Byam. Wally was my second cousin.

I trveled with Wally on his first Caravan in 1951. In 1955 my Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, joined the Airstream family. She nutured and established the Wally Byam Caravan Club, Inc. I have traveled on Caravans to Europe 1956, Eastern Canada 1955 and 1957, Africa 1959. I have scouted two Caravans Africa 1959 and Eastern Canada 1961.

I have been to 5 International Rallys. I am a previous owner of the famous Wally Byam's Gold Trailer. I have been to inumberable rallies and club functions.

I worked from 1964 to 1969 at the Airstream California plant. Having started as the Receiving Clerk, Cost Accounting, created their Personnel Department and became the Western Materials Manager.

My two most recent Airstream adventures was the 2005 International Rally in Springfield, MO.

Later on the Club and Airstream flew my wife, Susan, and I to Nova Scotia for the dedication of the 50th Anniversay plaque in Kentville. It was a treat since I am a Charter Member and was there when in all begain in 1955.

Currently I do not have an Airstream, but my blood with always flow silver.
Bump!!

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
What a resource PEE WEE is, and the busybodies and no it alls drove him off the forums. Shame , zz
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
What a resource PEE WEE is, and the busybodies and no it alls drove him off the forums. Shame , zz
I'm in total agreement with you on this one.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #54
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
I'm in total agreement with you on this one.
Plus 1