Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 PM   #29
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Hi PeeWee & welcome to the forums- -I read about you years ago.

Interesting observations & opinions about the planned 2009-2010 Cape Town to Cairo Caravan.
Here is a very interesting website from the recent Algonquin College’s African “adventure.” I'm told they will be traveling the same road in two years as the College did last year.

Algonquin College - Expedition Africa - Small World Big Picture

I suggest people read of their experiences and their lesson’s learned.
PeeWee, after reviewing it, I would appreciate reading you comments.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Feb 2008 campout

Dale----A fun loving group of airstreamers will be camping next February at Deadhorse State Park, in Cottonwood, Az. (This past Feb, about 25 trailers got together at this venue). This is maybe an hours' drive up I-17 from Dewey. We'd love to host you and your wife for an afternoon and evening. Overnight accomodations would also be hosted if you desire. We specialize in campfires and storytelling. We can also ask some pretty good questions and we listen well. If you prefer, we could arrange to meet you for dinner in Dewey at your favorite hangout. Is something like this possible??

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Read "Trailer Travel" by Wally about Africa...

Dale-

Welcome to Forums, and thanks for sharing opinions and history.. I do think you'd enjoy a 4CU WBCCI Rally, which is a little more lightly planned, but organized nonetheless.. Caravans take more planning and organizing than a long weekend at a place with hookups....

And Milo (and others curious about Africa..) - You gotta get or borrow copy of book Trailer Travel by Wally.. Written (via dictation) by Wally during and immediately following Africa Caravan (which went on through Middle East and into Russia..) he describes road building, acle and transmission replacements and other "minor crises" impacting that and other caravans in detail.. Before cell phones and FedEx and credit cards, it is fascinating to see how trucks of fuel were dispatched, and parts showed up as the International Harvesters broke down, and axles failed left and right... Wally was more than just "Can Do!".. He was utterly "Unfazed" by crisis after crisis that would have given man with softer spirit a major breakdown...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Dale-

Welcome to Forums, and thanks for sharing opinions and history.. I do think you'd enjoy a 4CU WBCCI Rally, which is a little more lightly planned, but organized nonetheless.. Caravans take more planning and organizing than a long weekend at a place with hookups....

And Milo (and others curious about Africa..) - You gotta get or borrow copy of book Trailer Travel by Wally.. Written (via dictation) by Wally during and immediately following Africa Caravan (which went on through Middle East and into Russia..) he describes road building, acle and transmission replacements and other "minor crises" impacting that and other caravans in detail.. Before cell phones and FedEx and credit cards, it is fascinating to see how trucks of fuel were dispatched, and parts showed up as the International Harvesters broke down, and axles failed left and right... Wally was more than just "Can Do!".. He was utterly "Unfazed" by crisis after crisis that would have given man with softer spirit a major breakdown...
Hi,

I have a unique copy of Wally's Trailer Travel Here and Abroad. You can see a copy of it at the Sierra Neveda website.

Wally wrote, "Pee Wee, Who was on my first and last Caravan." At the time he wrote it I didn't know that he only had a couple of years left. It is very meaningful signed book.

In Africa we had three forms of gas dispensed. By pump, tanker and barrel. In the middle of nowhere there was Shell, or Mobil. The dispensing of gasoline from drums was the best of all.

Dale
Old 07-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkelly
Dale----A fun loving group of airstreamers will be camping next February at Deadhorse State Park, in Cottonwood, Az. (This past Feb, about 25 trailers got together at this venue). This is maybe an hours' drive up I-17 from Dewey. We'd love to host you and your wife for an afternoon and evening. Overnight accomodations would also be hosted if you desire. We specialize in campfires and storytelling. We can also ask some pretty good questions and we listen well. If you prefer, we could arrange to meet you for dinner in Dewey at your favorite hangout. Is something like this possible??
Bob,

I am new to Dewey (6 months), but I already have a dentist...in Cottonwood. It is 45 minutes from home to Cottonwood. I am looking forward to spending time with your group.

Dale
Old 07-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
More Views on Africa from the Algonquin Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley
Hi PeeWee & welcome to the forums- -I read about you years ago.

Interesting observations & opinions about the planned 2009-2010 Cape Town to Cairo Caravan.
Here is a very interesting website from the recent Algonquin College’s African “adventure.” I'm told they will be traveling the same road in two years as the College did last year.

Algonquin College - Expedition Africa - Small World Big Picture

I suggest people read of their experiences and their lesson’s learned.
PeeWee, after reviewing it, I would appreciate reading you comments.
The problems in Africa as listed by Algonquin College aren't much different. Rough roads. You bet. They haven't changed much from what I read. Armed guards riding in you vehicles...no change.

Of interest the State Department has travel warnings for Sudan and Kenya. Two of the countries Algonquin went through. Not good.

There are 27 countries on the "Travel Warning" status by the State Department. 11 are in Africa. 8 are in the Middle East if you include Afganistan.

41% are in Africa, and 30% in the Middle East. That's bad.

Thanks for the Algonquin. They weren't towing trailers. If you have guards and you win. There can always be collateral damage, injury and death in a fire fight.

Dale
Old 07-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by munimula
PeeWee,

Great to see you connecting here at AirForums. I'm curious as to why now? Does your timing on making your first post here have anything to do with goings on at WBCCI?

I too would like your take on what the IBT has been trying to do over the past couple of years - name change last year and the motorhome issue this year.

Have you kept up on any of this?

As an aside, do you or are you available to lecture on your past caravan experiences at WBCCI events?

--Dave
Dave,

I posted this as a seperate thread. I'm getting my sea legs. For your answers, I said the following:

Why now? Reference to Club Politcs. NO! History!
The question of my timing is a valid question.

My Mother, Helen Byam Schwamborn, retired at the age of 75 in 1979. The two of us had family memories, Airstream memories and WBCCI memories. That's a lot of memories.

My Mother passed away July 22, 2004, just a few days short of her 100th Birthday. Wally Byam passed away on July 22, 1962. Interesting date July 22nd.

After her death I was contacted by Russ Banham, author of Wanderlust, Airstream at 75. What was supposed to be a limited call turned into many hours of conversation and letters, notes, pictures and such be shared with Russ. Of all writings prior to Wanderlust this is the first time rumors, speculations, twisted histories were corrected in the time frame of 1896 to 1979. My Mother left me a collection of family items and other personal items from her days with Airstream and WBCCI. With these items Russ and I changed some of the historical miscues and added a wealth of knowledge not available prior to Wanderlust. Russ is one helleva writer and biographer.

In 2005 I went to the Springfield Rally. This was the first leg of a later trip to Kenville, NS for the dedication of the founding of the WBCCI in 1955.

We are building steam

I happened to find a picture of two models in the 30's. If was captioned Stel and Helen. No, no, no, no. This picture was take with two models. Not Stel and not my Mother.

This led me to the Sierra Neveda Unit. Diane Leipper and I have been working on an informative website with family, Club, and Airstream history.

I came to this form after writing some thoughts about the possible reincarnation of the 1959 African Caravan. My comments are on the WBCCI forum. I am not in favor of putting Airstream owner's lives at risk.

So, here we are.

My interest is to share histroy with Airstream and Club members.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Thank you for your kind message re: Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
welcome to the forums dale.

sharing history is a useful notion and i hope you do.

as for the potential 09 trip, here are some topic specific places to post your opinions.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...ion-31388.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f286...airo-8454.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f347...van-24626.html

this thread is your 'member introduction' time and i don't want to litter it with caravan related issues...

but IF you'd like to offer opinions related to the 09 trip in any of these other threads...

i'm sure some of us will respond.

i did read your comments on the wb' site...

oh my.

cheers
2air'
Shame on me. As a novice I accidentally violated a rule of the Forum. Not intentionally. I actually posted my position on the Africa 2009 Caravan on the three sites you gave. They have since been removed by someone.

However, I did appreciate you pointing them out to me. I do hope that the people on those sites do find my African comments. The are pertinent and relative to their trip.

Again thank you for your comments.

Pee Wee
Old 07-16-2007, 01:47 AM   #37
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
Shame on me. As a novice I accidentally violated a rule of the Forum.
Not intentionally. I actually posted my position on the Africa 2009 Caravan on the three sites you gave.
They have since been removed by someone...

only mods/admins can remove posts...

very likely you copy/pasted the exact same post in each of those threads?

doing this could result in all but the first entry being removed...

just make unique comments in each thread as relevant.

eventually all of the RED fonts may be changed to black as well...

taken from the faqs/community policies...

Posting standards:
Forum members may use standard fonts available on the forum. The standard font size is 2. The use of bold, large or colored fonts should be used sparingly. Posts containing inappropriate formatting will be removed or modified at our discretion; e.g. all caps or excessive color. E-mail address are not appropriate forum user names.

not 2 worry, post away!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:01 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee
. . . . This is being told to you not that I am extraordinary, I’m just a fortunate person to have been part of this history.

When I say “TO HAVE FUN”, I mean it and I know that’s what it is all about.
Dale, welcome to the forums. What a delight and privilege that you are sharing your experiences and insight here. I've so enjoyed reading your posts this morning. Thank you for bringing some things back into perspective.

• • • Aluminocentricity • • •
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:58 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Well PeeWee, as you can see, even on the forum we seem to have some self appointed monitor assistants. I sure hope it dosen't discourage you from posting. I think overall you will find our enthusiasm to your contributions gratifing.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Dale----Thanks for agreeing to get together with us next Feb in Cottonwood. We'll send you a private message with the details as the plans firm up.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:21 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I have no opinion on this Caravan other than my vacation rule when leaving America.

Don't vacation where people are shooting at each other.

Dale,

How did the trailers hold up on these extreme Caravans? What were the common breakdown items and what was the most unusual? I ask this as I am often off road with mine.

I had called G&C in Bellflower to ask about adding ground clearance for off roading and Rod told me to "Do what Wally did. Go slow. He made it from Capetown to Cairo like that." So far I have to tell you our trailer has been all over the Mojave and Sonoran desert with out any ill effects. I attribute this to going slow.

Milo
Milo,

I knew Chuck and George when I worked at Airstream prior to their branching off into their own business. Chcuk was a really great foreman in the cabinet shop, and George was great in the metal department as Foreman. Two great guys and a great organization.

Dale
Old 07-16-2007, 01:24 PM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Wow! Welcome to the forums Dale. It's like having a direct link to Wally...well I guess that's because you are!

I think we all look forward to having you as a member of our close knit group of Airstream aficionados. Please don't consider this to be a one way information highway. Feel free to ask us questions too. I'm sure we would feel honored if we could answer questions for you about our newer Airstream experiences and compare them to the experiences you had when our nation's travel infrastructure was less mature.

For example, we have a 30' Safari Bunk and camp with our 7 & 10 year old sons. To my knowledge, this is the only "two bedroom" floor plan that Airstream ever made. It can get tight at times, but we really enjoy it.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote