Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Craigslist Scams

Just in the last several weeks as I have become serious about an Airstream I cannot believe the number of scams I have run across on Craigslist. Some of the telltale signs are prices too good to be true, oddball prices like $2751 for example, extra characters in the ad title like % and # signs, asking you to reply only to the email in the text of the ad (the email usually contains a Caucasian female name), doing a nationwide search and finding the same ad in multiple cities, only a single photo in the ad, a photo with a forest in the background when the ad says "located in Tucson", or, like the one this morning, called the number that was in the Craigslist reply button, got no answer so left a message. Got a text saying the ad was for their brother and to email him at xxx.com. These ads also pop up then disappear fairly quickly. There was another one that said in the description "no smoke or blowby", obviously put together by someone unfamiliar with the English language or what a travel trailer is. Right now there are two from PHX, each one a 2005 Bambi for $5K. One photo only, no real description not even the length. Hard to tell if it's for real or not. It actually looks like two different shots of the same Bambi each shot in it's own ad.

Just a heads up to others who are looking, although probably not surprising to anyone.
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Nope, not surprising at all. Though we actually found our trailer on Craigslist, listed in Dallas. If you're finding a large number of scams, have you tried searching the classifieds here? Another shopping source would be the various Wally Byam clubs and Airstream exclusive communities. They often have newletters with classified sections.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I start with the assumption that everything is a scam on CL and then when it's legit, I'm pleased.
When I searched for a gently used Honda generator, I saw mostly scam ads.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The most common Craigslist scam is a Bambi II with red wheels and propane bottle. The same pictures seem to crop up all over the country especially in the New Orleans area. Request for information are always met with very wish washy double talk.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Any response to any ad that contains the phrases "selling for my_____", "free shipping anywhere in the US", "in storage, so no access to inspect", "10 days to inspect with full refund", "funds held in escrow", "Ebay or Paypal protection plan",
"click on link to Paypal provided in this e-mail".........I could go on, and on.....

If it sounds too good to be true.......it is.

Cheers
Tony

PS Never advertise that you're looking for something online. The very minute you place an ad looking for something you'll receive calls from people claiming to have what you're looking for at a great price. Trust me, they don't have it, whatever it is. They will however sound very convincing.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Any response to any ad that contains the phrases "selling for my_____", "free shipping anywhere in the US", "in storage, so no access to inspect", "10 days to inspect with full refund", "funds held in escrow", "Ebay or Paypal protection plan",
"click on link to Paypal provided in this e-mail".........I could go on, and on.....

If it sounds too good to be true.......it is.

Cheers
Tony

PS Never advertise that you're looking for something online. The very minute you place an ad looking for something you'll receive calls from people claiming to have what you're looking for at a great price. Trust me, they don't have it, whatever it is. They will however sound very convincing.

I totally get that, however a couple years ago I advertised my Lincoln Weldanpower 3000 on Craigslist and I included "or trade for Honda EU 2000i and I'll be darned if a guy showed up with one. I tested it out while he tested the Weldanpower and we shook hands and both were happy with the deal.

That was the exception to the rule and I probably wouldn't do it again.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I totally get that, however a couple years ago I advertised my Lincoln Weldanpower 3000 on Craigslist and I included "or trade for Honda EU 2000i and I'll be darned if a guy showed up with one. I tested it out while he tested the Weldanpower and we shook hands and both were happy with the deal.

That was the exception to the rule and I probably wouldn't do it again.
If the Honda tends to run hot, you may want to think twice about taking it in for service, if you know what I mean.

Bet you never thought of that, did-ja.

Craigslist is the very best place to launder stolen goods for legitimate items by trading.

Cheers
Tony

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
One of the best ways to avoid a bad purchase on Craigslist is to look only for trailers where inclusion of a clean title is mentioned. If you've purchased other used vehicles, you already know you need it in order to register and get plates. Plus you'll have to take your lumps and pay your state's sales tax for the purchase. Find one you can't resist and no title is mentioned? When you call the "seller" it should be the first thing you ask. No title, or they have no clue what one is? Hang up.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
Just in the last several weeks as I have become serious about an Airstream I cannot believe the number of scams I have run across on Craigslist. Some of the telltale signs are prices too good to be true, oddball prices like $2751 for example, extra characters in the ad title like % and # signs, asking you to reply only to the email in the text of the ad (the email usually contains a Caucasian female name), doing a nationwide search and finding the same ad in multiple cities, only a single photo in the ad, a photo with a forest in the background when the ad says "located in Tucson", or, like the one this morning, called the number that was in the Craigslist reply button, got no answer so left a message. Got a text saying the ad was for their brother and to email him at xxx.com. These ads also pop up then disappear fairly quickly. There was another one that said in the description "no smoke or blowby", obviously put together by someone unfamiliar with the English language or what a travel trailer is. Right now there are two from PHX, each one a 2005 Bambi for $5K. One photo only, no real description not even the length. Hard to tell if it's for real or not. It actually looks like two different shots of the same Bambi each shot in it's own ad.

Just a heads up to others who are looking, although probably not surprising to anyone.
I found 5 of them in local craiglist. Marked them all "prohibited". It really makes me mad to see these scammers. I hope no one falls for it.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If the Honda tends to run hot, you may want to think twice about taking it in for service, if you know what I mean.

Bet you never thought of that, did-ja.

Craigslist is the very best place to launder stolen goods for legitimate items by trading.

Cheers
Tony

Cheers
Tony
Yes that's a good point and I did consider it. The guy did seem genuine, said he needed a welder to build a steel building on his property. Of course I am an honest Joe and usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt, although spending a lot of time on Craigslist lately is starting to jade me a bit.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I use craigslist often to both buy and sell. Yes you see the stand out adds with the 19' international for some ridiculous price or the others with seriously bad grammer and the same absurd low price but for the most part I have had good transactions.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
bloomville , New York
Angry scams are still going strong

Ashley Benson
8:25 AM (2 hours ago)

Hi again, as I've told you in my first e-mail i just finished the divorce, that's why I want to sell this trailer, Last month i sold other 2 vehicle's with Google Payments , and all my transactions has been done successfully with them , as a bonus they gave me free shipping and this is the reason i used more states to find quickly a buyer. The trailer is right now in Alabama with all the documents including title, sale bill , 2 sets of keys, full service records and more.The deal includes free delivery and they will arrive at your address in 1-3 days.Once you will get the trailer you will have 15 days to try them out prior to making any purchase.In the case that you feel that the trailer are not suitable,you can just return the trailer, all fees being on my expense. The title and the bill of sale will be notarized and signed by me.If you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, I can ask Google Payments to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Please reply with your whole name, a delivery address including(street, city,state, zip code) and ph# and they will contact you right away. As soon as I hear that from you I will initiate the transaction through them.Thank you !
kellypepperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellypepperk View Post
ashley benson

8:25 am (2 hours ago)

hi again, as i've told you in my first e-mail i just finished the divorce, that's why i want to sell this trailer, last month i sold other 2 vehicle's with google payments , and all my transactions has been done successfully with them , as a bonus they gave me free shipping and this is the reason i used more states to find quickly a buyer. The trailer is right now in alabama with all the documents including title, sale bill , 2 sets of keys, full service records and more.the deal includes free delivery and they will arrive at your address in 1-3 days.once you will get the trailer you will have 15 days to try them out prior to making any purchase.in the case that you feel that the trailer are not suitable,you can just return the trailer, all fees being on my expense. The title and the bill of sale will be notarized and signed by me.if you are interested in knowing more info about how it works, i can ask google payments to send you an email with more information on how to purchase it. Please reply with your whole name, a delivery address including(street, city,state, zip code) and ph# and they will contact you right away. As soon as i hear that from you i will initiate the transaction through them.thank you !

run!!!!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I’ve known people that found a good deal on Craigslist but when I was an LEO I took so many fraud reports involving Craigslist that I won’t even go to the website. I don’t answer the telephone either (as I, too have had the “IRS” leave threatening messages).

BTW, I will never cease to be amazed at people that will give their SSN and/or credit card number to a complete stranger on the telephone.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote