Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
Converter cooling fan running all of the time.

I have a 2016 25 Flying cloud with recently installed solar panels. The trailer is in covered storage hooked up to 110 to keep batteries charged. Recently every time I enter the trailer, daily, the fan is running. Any suggestions would be helpful.
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My suggestion is to put the trailer or the converter on a timer so that it is only on a few hours a week to keep things charged.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Check your batteries, they may be dry and shorted. The standard converter prior to 2018 can damage the batteries if left plugged in 24 x 7.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to Air Forums. You came to the right place to get some help with your converter fan.

Air Forums has all kinds of "categories" for making requests for help and advice. Member Introductions are just that, and folks don't usually look here to help folks with a electrical problem. I recommend you start a new thread in "electrical systems", and then "converters". You can copy and paste your text into the new thread you start.

I think you will get more replies.

Okay, that said, I know a little about converters with fans. Most of the fans are thermostatically controlled, meaning if the inside of the converter box gets to a certain temp, the fan will run protecting the electrics inside. I wonder if high ambient temps, like Tampa may have, can cause the fan to run all the time. I don't know.

Next is how hard is your converter working. Folks will want to know what voltage the converter is supplying to your batteries. It should be in the 13.2vDC range. If it is 13.6 or even 14.2 volts, that's too much. And folks will want to know what condition your batteries are in. Unplug your trailer, let the batteries rest for a few hours, and then measure the voltage output from the batteries. We would expect something like 12.8 volts. You may need to have your batteries tested under load. They could be approaching end of life.

Your solar system may also be delivering voltage to the batteries. I do not know how a solar system interacts with the trailer's electrical system. Others who have such system will know. Again, over charging batteries shortens their life. Modern converters don't overcharge batteries.

Hope this helps...

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
tampa , Florida
Thanks for all of your kind advice.

As background the solar system was just installed by Airstream so any issue with load, compatibility should not be an issue. Also the solar controller blocks any current when batteries are topped off. The batteries are Lifeline AGM's and are new as well. The trailer is under a shed so no solar power is be generated per solar controller monitor. So, as David suggested It's probably the ambient air temp as it is close to 90 in the trailer in the middle of the day when I checked it. This morning it was a lot cooler and the fan was off further supporting this theory. We'll see what happens but unplugging would probably not be a bad idea if this continues. Thanks again for the input.

Frank
fclewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
What is actually wrong with the converter fan running?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote