Old 04-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Guess we are at the other end of the spectrum--looked, saved, read the forum for a number of years, visited various AS rally's , looked at several used units--jumped in with both feet and ordered a 30ft FC w/ recliners, two AC, full awnings, leather dinette, and hope we only will buy once. Sure it cost 20/25% more! but it is ours, our way, two year warranty, and the good times are in front of us--added a Sleep Number bed from Camping World, and have not looked back. Should get us to retirement sooner than later.

Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
We met Florida 55 while checking out floor plans at Canopener 2012 during Open House. Later that month, we ended up purchasing a 25FB Safari which had be converted to twins by the PO. We are both 6' and definitely enjoy the full length twins vs. a short queen. Find a rally that may be close by or in a campground that offers cabins/yurts so maybe you can get a better understanding of what maybe available in the used market. Watch the classified like a hawk. Some sell in as little as an hour. Some sell at Rallys. Getting back to the initial point, in addition to focusing on the unit we might like to find, we found some wonderful new friends. All has been a wonderful experience!

Tom and Robin
2007 Safari 25' FB Twin
"If you have to go through a minefield....follow somebody"
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Finding Your Airstream - Try Renting One a Few Nights

Originally Posted by rad1 View Post
Thanks all. Going to spend some time looking at all my option . I quess 1/2 the fun is in the process of looking and deciding. As I get closer to making my decision I'll keep you posted. I appreciate any future advise . I looked at my suburban , it has a 7000 lb towing max . However , has almost 90k miles on it . Might have to look at getting a new vehicle . I quess one thing leads to another
Half the fun is "studying". We spent a year reading Airforums, looking at new and used trailers, and talking to people before we bought. We also made a trip to a KOA offering Airstreams for rent and spent a couple of nights in a 25FB to get a feel for living in one. Here is a link to the page on the KOA website listing the locations with Airstreams you can rent by the night in the event you might want to try one:

KOA Airstream Locations

I see you are from Utah. You can also stay in an Airstream overnight at the Shooting Star RV Resort at Escalante. Here's the link to the website:

Shooting Star RV Resort

One great thing about the search process. Eventually your Airstream will find you. It is amazing!
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I'd be very careful about buying a short airstream. Some people think they're cute, but if you're going to take trips of 10 days or more, I wouldn't recommend one. I like our 25' FB for our trips of a month or more. Maybe we could use a 20' one for a week or so. Your Suburban will pull any of them.

...and I would not worry about 90m miles on the tow vehicle. If it's in good condition, why panic over the miles? You seem like you might be at least somewhat cost sensitive, so I'd say your money would be better spend carefully checking that Suburban yourself before you head out or pay a qualified person. That would have to be much cheaper than buying a replacement.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
ogden , Utah
We're not in any hurry. I agree haft the fun is looking, learning and dreaming. Does any have any advice , concerning seasonal price fluctuations. I would guess ,the prices might drop towards the end of the season.
rad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hi rad1,
Also a newbie, had read the forums every day for months and gained valuable information for the experts before our first visit to dealer. First visit we went with iPhone cameras & toured as many models as we could starting with 16' Sport. Loved the unit but could not deal with wet bath concept. Next up, 22' Sport offered considerable more living space but overall we were not happy with overall floor plan & kept looking. The Flying Cloud 20-23 foot Front bed layout was just was we're were looking for. We shopped for used units throughout the country staying with 2009-2012. However, we were curious about new model year roll out & when inventory at dealer might be "priced just right" for our consideration. Entertained a negotiation during our lengthy confirmatory visit & were pleasantly surprised with discount with very little negotiations. Turns out their fiscal year was rapidly approaching. They communicated our timing was great, as they need to make room for new 2015 rook outs from the mothership!
We have narrowed down our tow vehicle choice & just waiting for vehicle to become available & then we'll schedule our pick up.
Good luck & the journey is the mist fun!
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
ogden , Utah
Thanks FC9, leaning toward a smaller unit. The Flying Cloud 20 seems like a real sweet deal. We are new empty nesters, so it seems like the right move. I think we would be more "weekenders" for the next little while. I still have 5-10 years of work. P.S. just traded the 97 burb. for a new ford F150.
rad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I ran into a guy a little while ago. He was a typical snowbird. I loved his theory on trailer size.

"Everyday, the trailer gets one inch shorter. When you run out of inches, it's time to go home."

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote