Old 04-16-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
1973 27' Overlander
Stockbridge , Georgia
Send a message via ICQ to 73Airstream Send a message via AIM to 73Airstream Send a message via Yahoo to 73Airstream
Question Changing toilet out need help!

Hi folks, new member as of 10 minutes ago. Metro Atlanta Georgia native. I have a 73 Overlander and I just tore out the commode and found what I thought I would find. Dry rot! Started looking on webb for ideas of how to fix and found this site, so thought I would give it a shot. Will post some pixs later to show the problem in detail. First question that I have is the collar that the commode attaches to will not release from the floor or the holding tank after I removed the wood screws. Any thoughts?

73Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
Welcome to the form. This is the place you were looking for it has it all. In my 70 that flange has wood screws then it also screws into the black tank with 3" threads on the flange. Sorry about the dry rot but it is not uncommon. Have fun.

geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
My tank had a small leak in it...found it by putting a light in the tank. My toilet came out hard. The flange bolts were turning with the wrench. The collar did unscrew, but it took some force & since the tank was "tanked" I just ripped the collar loose then unscrewed it for (hopefull) reuse. I hope the toilet itself is still good or rebuildable after I get the new tank and water supply in.

Make sure both flange bolts are out then you should be able to lift (pry a bit) the toilet off of the seal ring. Once the toilet is off the ring should unscrew with a bit of leverage. Even though pentrating oil is not for plastic you may be able to use a bit of it to soosen the ring up.

Good luck.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
and if you find you can't get that tank flange out take a piece of angle iron and a mini grinder and make yourself a thousand dollar AIRSTREAM Black Hole wrench like this one:

Name:   holewrench.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  17.3 KB
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1972 29' Ambassador
Centerville , Indiana
Hey, I have a 72 Ambassador that I began taking the toilet out last night and found the exact same mess. I over 1/2 the floor torn out at this point. I have left the flange in place at this time and plan to work around it the best I can. Reason, I couldn't get it to release. If you find the answer, please share. Thanks
NewIndianaAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Tom, You can also try to use a blunt nosed flat head screw driver and a dead blow hammer to losen it up. Make sure your tapping the right way. As for the rot. If the area is small and there is no real wood loss then a product called git-rot might work. It is used in the marine industry for spot fixes on dryrot. The area must be bone dry. Good luck

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote