Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
Casita vs. Oliver vs Airstream ?

New to this forum. Can someone tell me why the Airstream would be a better choice than the Casita or Oliver?
gc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.....
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Great, thanks. Take a seat please. Anyone else?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I think it depends on what you are looking for and your budget. All three are well made as far as I can tell and will last many years if cared for. All three have an enthusiastic following of great folks. All three will be fun to camp in. If you are considering new, both the Casita and the Oliver are less expensive than a new Airstream. New fibreglass eggs may also be less expensive than the purchase of a vintage unit with the restoration costs added in. New eggs would certainly be less work than the restoration of a vintage Airstream. The Airstream is better insulated than the Casita. I can stand up in any Airstream made but the Casitas are a little short on head room. For me the choice was easy, when a '77' Minuet came available. It was usable the first year with some work and each year I will improve it more. The 6 metre Minuet is about the same weight as the 17' Casita and is tow able with my Wrangler. I really enjoy working on the old girl and get great satisfaction from the improvements. In addition, I have wanted an Airstream for many years. I expect the first one to be the beginning and if I am allowed to remain on this earth, will undoubtedly own other Airstreams as time passes.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Good question, but remember this is a biased audience.

Longevity would be my answer. Over 70% of all the Airstreams ever made are still on the road today. We have members on the forums with trailers built in the 40's. The aluminum construction was meant to last and had proved itself over time.

Here is a link to the 5 reason Airstream gives:
Airstream, Inc :: Why Buy?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:34 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Question Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to to your question about Airstream vs Casita vs Oliver, I can only speak from first hand knowledge regarding the Airstream. I have looked at both new Casitas and Olivers. I think that they are nicely made, but not to the level of fit and finish of an Airstream.

I guess that your choice would depend on how you plan to use the unit. Yes, an Airstream costs more, but is made for heavy use over a long period of time.

We have had our 2005 Airstream for two years now. We have given it extensive use. We have spent 240+ nights in her, and have towed her almost 30,000 miles. We are planning a lot more heavy use. Our Airstream has held up very well with very few problems. I'm not sure that the Casita or Oliver could withstand our style of travel.

The one other feature of our Airstream that we greatly appreciate is the fact that it is an Airstream with its iconic appearance and history. We really like have the coolest RV on the planet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
As a new owner, we looked at the Casita prior to choosing A/S. We did not look at Oliver. Casita's largest plan just wasn't quite large enough for us, even as a weekender. Casita's quality and features, and towability seem quite solid, but the previously noted durability/longevity, and availability of just a bit bigger floor plans made us decide to go Airstream.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24
Great, thanks. Take a seat please. Anyone else?
Perfect response to a non-answer.

I frankly know much more about Airstream than Casita, and I know nothing about the other brand you mention.

I have several friends who have the Casita and are happy with them. They are all older couples who are past the kid stage, so the small size works for them.

A question in return - Do you know what the wall framing is made of in the other brands?

The aluminum ribs ("studs") in the Airstream is one of the main things that got me looking at A/S. I was tired of dryrot in the wood.

A/S has a MUCH larger selection in floorplans.
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Here is a reason I haven't seen mentioned yet...

I bet the Casita and Oliver (never heard of it by the way...) don't have nearly the great online forum venue that we have here! You will find answers to just about everything Airstream! This is a great group of people, we have wonderful forum rallies and the WBCCI has a lot to offer many folks!

Besides the Airstream trailer itself is made in America! (I don't know about Casita or Oliver...)

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Great thread by the way, I've never seen these trailers compared directly.
Anyone with direct experience with 2 or more of these brands?
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Sorry about that sarcastic first response you got...you asked a valid question. Don't know anything about Olivers, but we have looked at Casitas, and have friends who had one and liked it very much, but eventually traded up to something larger (not an AS or a larger Casita, BTW). One thing is that Casitas are lighter, so your tow vehicle comes into play. We appeciated the cleverness of the Casita design, and the fiberglas construction, but felt a little cramped...even the 19' Bambi feels far more roomy...not to mention the level of AS design, and its anticipated longevity. The Casita crowd is a tight group like the AS crowd and they love their trailers...and that's great... Chose what makes sense for you and your style...what's important is that it works for you! If you do decide on something other than an AS, it doesn't mean that down the road you can't trade for one! (We used to have a small Motor home, and eventually went with an AS, for instance.)
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich
...We appeciated the cleverness of the Casita design, and the fiberglas construction, but felt a little cramped...
That was the exact impression I had when I walked into my first Casita a couple years ago. Really nice layout but I wanted a little more room. I'd say the thing to do is go check out the Casita, sit down in it with the family and see if there will be enough room. Then take them to check out the different size Airsteams. I can't comment on the Oliver because I have not seen one that I can remember.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Whatever your choice that is best for you, hang around, lurk, or whatever. There is a wealth of information here that is not limited to just airstreams and many good people that are willing to share their knowledge. If you choose a Casita I want to know more about them.
I hang around here because I have an airstream, but I have or have had 2 Boles Aeros (aluminum framed) and a 1958 Gem. I have always liked the Casita and if I find the right one it will be mine.

My wife and I have differing opinions of just what a trailer is for, what amenities it should have, and how far off the road it should be expected to go. She has this silly idea that dead fish have no place in a trailer.

So we have HIS (1949 Boles Aero) and HERS (1961 Safari).
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Great answers from all of you. I really appreciate the input. I like the floorplan to have a nice size bed in it. Nice sure which model to choose. The newer models seem very expensive, but I guess you get what you pay for. I see that there is more room inside of the AS for head and width. It looks like if you get an older model AS, there may be some work involved with it. I have seen vintage models on EBay that look tempting. I guess I am undecided on the right model. Leaning towards the Bambi , Safari or Sport. Any opinions on those? I am not a tall person, it's me my G/F and a dog, and I have a Dodge Ram Hemi Quad Cab to pull it. Looking to spend time in it during some of the long winter months in wamer climates.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
While I'm partial to my rear corner bed/side bath '86 Sovereign, take a look at the Safari 23' and 25' front bedroom models. They have a pretty nice layout in my opinion.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24
New to this forum. Can someone tell me why the Airstream would be a better choice than the Casita or Oliver?
Hi, gc24. I've seen Casitas before, but never heard of an Oliver, till now. So I just went onto the Oliver site; Looks pretty impressive if that is what you like. I like Aluminum. I was unable to find out how much an Oliver costs to make some sort of comparison. I noticed three things on the Oliver forum: (1.) You also asked for prices and just got a name and phone number. (2.) You mentioned that you were familiar with Casitas, but not Olivers. (3.) You didn't ask them about Airstreams. It's personal preferrence; I'm a Ford person, so you couldn't convince me to buy a Chevrolet, Dodge, or Etc. Same goes for my Airstream, It's in my blood now, I'm infected with Aluminitus and there is no known cure. Please be happy and enjoy whatever you buy and come back here with pictures and stories.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just took a quick look at the Oliver site, and they look suspiciously like Casita trailers. Since they look so similar, I'm going to go out on a limb, and assume they feature similar construction for purposes of comparison.
The Casita trailers are basically two piece molded construction, and have fewer places to leak (fewer seams). They are also lightweight and low profile, which means you can tow a brand-new Casita with a smaller, less-powerful vehicle than would be required to tow a similar sized Airstream. They are smaller, and you get a more "tight" feeling inside than with an Airstream, the Airstream has more headroom, and more interior options. The larger Casita, while being only inches larger in every dimension, feels much larger than the smaller unit. Something I have seen on older Casita trailers that I don't like, is the plywood floor seems to be sandwiched between fiberglass, which would make repair from the effects of the inevitable leaks a lot more difficult. I also seem to remember the older Casitas had little or no holding tank capacity, which would present a problem in some instances.
While I haven't owned a Casita, I have had to do some work on them, and I know the systems are a little "quirky".
I do know if I were in the market for a trailer the size of a Casita, and found one, and a similar-sized Airstream, I know which one I'd buy.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #18
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Wow, that's quite a question. Having had both a number of Airstreams and fiberglass trailers over the past twenty years or so, I can give some direct comparisons.

Your question has been asked before and is always a good one. I answered it about a year ago here on FiberglassRV.com, another forum dedicated to fiberglass trailers. My perspective is a little different than what you might expect. You might find that entire thread interesting.

There was a similar thread here at about the same time: If Not Airstream then what?

There is a lot of cross-over from fiberglass trailers to Airstreams and back among owners of each. What works for you today, may not be the ideal trailer tomorrow, and each has both their strong and weak points.

Good luck finding what you're after!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:37 AM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I had never heard of Oliver b4 either, for those who would like to check them out; Oliver Travel Trailers .

Nice little unit, looks like it is better engineered than most SOB's and very similiar to Casita (?). They are both small, single axle...I guess depends on what you are looking for.

AS will have much nicer appoinmtents/comfort. But the others would certainly give you a place to lie your head at night.

Of course, this is a heavily biased audience, and there is no doubt about the longevity and integrity of AS. You will pretty much be limited to 23' and smaller AS with that 1/2 ton truck...

Good luck-keep us posted,

Bill
Old 05-19-2008, 06:47 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I love questions like these. It's like being on Ford forum asking the Ford faithful why Ford.

In reality, Airstream is a good trailer. The best? Perhaps,perhaps not, but I like it. The floorplan, the cult like following, the look and the feel compared to most other brands I've been in.

It is however like the Ferrari of the RV industry. Only a few places will touch it to service it and of those few places, only some are really any good at it.

Though Airstreams don't require much maint than any other brand, at times you have to be careful what you do with the exterior skins (newer Airstreams) and of course, newer Airstreams have tended to get what some call fill form corrosion where you get white lines:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ams-31743.html

Would I ever buy another new one again, knowing what I know now? Not a chance! I'd still buy an Airstream, but a pre-owned one for three reasons:

First, new Airstreams are simply way over priced. They were when I got my last one new, in 2004, but it was, IMHO, still within reason. Here we are 5 years later and the same unit, as configured, is now roughly $9k more. This is painful as you watch it depreciate, which it will like a rock, which brings me to #2.

Second, some dealers will tell you that buying an Airstream is like and investment. Totally wrong. It is a depreciating purchase that continues to cost significant $$$ to maintain and use (though the upkeep is true of just about any RV). It is true that in 10 years, if maintained, your Airstream could still be in great shape and on the road, and that it will still be worth more than most other similarly aged brands 10 years from now, however, you paid roughly 3 to 4x more than you would have for another brand in most cases, so the comments where Airstreams hold their value can be somewhat misleading.

Third, for the price paid for Airstreams, the quality is not up to snuff, plain and simple. It is better than it was early on this decade, but for the prices paid, if you look at the overall QC threads, there is still very much to be desired in the realm of overall initial quality of the build and quality control. You can read some of what I am talking about here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-41668.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-31210.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-21553.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ity-16147.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ing-11189.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...-04s-7106.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote