Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

pagosa springs , Colorado
WEll, the Scamp, Oliver and Casita"s are actually narrower than my pop up as I just compared them. Oliver's go for 19.5K, Casita's go for 15K. Maybe i will look at the Vintage AS's.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc24
WEll, the Scamp, Oliver and Casita"s are actually narrower than my pop up as I just compared them. Oliver's go for 19.5K, Casita's go for 15K. Maybe i will look at the Vintage AS's.
Things to look for:

Solid floor.........nice skin, the rest is pretty easy to repair or replace.

And....when you see one you like, buy it NOW. The next person will if you don't. If after using it you want something else, sell it. A good used, vintage Airstream is a lot easier to sell than it is to find and buy.

Also, don't be too surprised to find the smaller units costing more than the larger models. No real reason, except that they are "cute".

Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
St Michaels , Maryland
Casita vs AS

We owned two Casitas and now are purchasing a 25' AS FB SE. We loved our Casitas. First we had a 16' then a 17'. We enjoyed traveling in them, the cozy space, lightweight and easy to take care for. We put them into some great camping spaces and enjoyed the nice feel of some "tent" areas because they are so small. They have a very active forum with lots of information. They tow easily and behind most any SUV or van. We didn't get great gas mileage - and decided we wanted more space when able to travel for longer and further distances. Mainly we wanted a dry bath, nice size fridge and a separate sleep area from living area. That would provide the comfort to be able to live in it longer. We are pretty sure we will get same or better gas mileage towing the 25' behind our truck, we'll see, can't wait!
Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, I have given upon the Casitas. Think I will concentrate on the AS. Confused as to which model would be good for me to pull with my Dodge Quad Cab Hemi. It would appear that a 25' or less would be good. Also, which models would be good. I like the space, queen size bed. Are the Vintage models built as well as the newer ones or what era should I look at?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #33
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
loaded questions

Quote:
Thanks, I have given upon the Casitas. Think I will concentrate on the AS. Confused as to which model would be good for me to pull with my Dodge Quad Cab Hemi. It would appear that a 25' or less would be good. Also, which models would be good. I like the space, queen size bed. Are the Vintage models built as well as the newer ones or what era should I look at?
Both vintage and late model have their good and bad points. Newer stuff is generally heavier than the vintage stuff of comparable size, but are usually in better shape, and require less work out of the chute just because they are newer. Of course, they usually cost more, but you will probably spend as much on a vintage unit over time as you would a new one.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Thus a newer one is better choice. Any model or size that I should focus on?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:41 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Good deals in Classifieds Right Now

Check our forum classifieds to start with. Find an Airstream dealer and/or a rally near you. Drop in and visit. Most folks will be delighted to show you around their units and tell you (ad nauseum) about the plusses and minuses of their layouts.

Especially if you're tall: Check the beds and the bath. Some folks can't close the door on the throne room if they're long legged and the A/S is a shorter model. Consider the benefits and disadvantages of corner beds... someone has to crawl over someone else to get to the throne in the middle of the night. If you're going to spend the money, spend a bit of money and time investing in learning first.

Paula
Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Yea, I haven't come across a model yet that allows someone to NOT have to crawl over he other person to go to the throne. I'm only 5'9, so I don't see that as a big issue. Looks like the 19' has the crawl over the person issues.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #37
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Yea, I haven't come across a model yet that allows someone to NOT have to crawl over he other person to go to the throne. I'm only 5'9, so I don't see that as a big issue. Looks like the 19' has the crawl over the person issues.
The really newer front bedroom models have walk around beds in the front, and many of the slightly older 25' models have rear bedrooms with twins.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Yea, looks like the 22' have a walk around bed?
Old 05-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #39
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Yea, looks like the 22' have a walk around bed?
Here's one from our Classifieds. I like the computer desk in the rear:Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 2005 22' International CCD - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 PM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Another set of points to consider: An Airstream is what it is not because of the interior or other, but because it is a low-to-the-ground, low-center-of-gravity, aerodynamic independently-suspended travel trailer built to a high standard.

In other words, a conventionally-sprung trailer, with tanks mounted higher up from the ground is not necessarily a good comparison despite size. The Airstream is a FAR more capable towed rig than an ordinary trailer that is not so equipped.

As 2Air pointed out in another thread, one MUST distinguish between questions of "live-ability" and road-ability. The latter is an important consideration. Even a small trailer can be upset and drag a heavy pickup off the road when one understands that, in trailering, it is the tail that wags the dog if the trailer "trips". In other words, an Airstream will remain upright and track well when another otherwise comparable trailer is pulling the whole rig into the ditch.

On any trailer, I would be asking (pret near demanding) a dealer for a wheel-by-wheel weight read-out so as to determine both front-to-rear AND side-to-side weight balance, regardless of size.

The better trailer will, in addition to the A/S engineering advantages mentioned above, have the all-around best balance.

Safety first.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Overlander63: Nice model. Not crazy about the price, but really nice.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #42
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Overlander63: Nice model. Not crazy about the price, but really nice.
The CCD's are a little (a lot?) more money, but don't have the "stick-n-staple" interior construction pf the Safari line. The stuff in the CCD is a bit better as far as quality and longevity, plus they have bigger, fully-opening windows the Safari line doesn't have.