Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Canuck says hello...

My wife and I were on the hunt for a nice TT and then fell in love with the Airstreams! We're trying to figure out which model/floor plan is best suited for a young family. We live in central Canada and hope to make plenty of short holidays. We are complete rookies when it comes to RV's so hopefully we can pick up some good info here. Happy trails....

Old 07-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. There is a wealth of Airstream information here.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome to the forums. Hope you are successful in your Airstream search. You might want to check out Craigs list for Saskatchewan to see if anything pops up. Also, RV trader may have something relatively close. One thing to be careful of with trailers parked besides barns on farms (we learned the hard way) is that they are more susceptible to mice. If you do buy a used one from a rural area make sure it's been closed up for several hours before you go into it so you can "smell" it for mice urine. Not pretty, I realize, but worth doing. In most cases you won't have a problem, but there have been a few that were left out without proper storage happening.

How far are you willing to travel? For year and floor plan ideas, check out this website:

Vintage Airstream Photo Archives

which will give you an idea of years, model sizes, and you can take a look at the various floor plans that are in use.

Good luck with your search. We lived in Southern Alberta and found quite a few out and about in smaller towns and on farms and never hesitated to ping pang on the house door to see if it was for sale or if they knew of any that might be. Oh yeah, as you likely know, watch out for the dogs.........
Barry
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Hi Barry, thanks for the note. Our budget simply won't allow for a new model so we've been checking ebay, RVtrader, etc. for used models. I came across a 1999 25 Safari for what seems to be a decent price and good condition. The only thing I can't get my head wrapped around is the 'twin bed' floor plan. Unfortunately our local dealer doesn't have much for me to look at, so I'm stuck with online pics. The twin bed doesn't seem very romantic to say the least, especially on those cold, rainy nights. What's the 'ultimate' floor plan for the 3 of us I wonder? Please share your views..thanks. Mike.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
Hi Mike-In March we aquired a 25 foot Tradewind twin bed model-and love it- -the advantage to twin beds is that theres no climbing over your spouse to get in and out of bed in the middle of the night-and although it might not be as romantic, well, it's just plain comfortable-and the few times we've managed to get out it has been cold and rainy but the forced air furnace keeps us warm and dry. Good luck in your search-Happy travels ;Garth & Joanne
Old 07-09-2007, 11:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG911
Hi Barry, thanks for the note. Our budget simply won't allow for a new model so we've been checking ebay, RVtrader, etc. for used models. I came across a 1999 25 Safari for what seems to be a decent price and good condition. The only thing I can't get my head wrapped around is the 'twin bed' floor plan. Unfortunately our local dealer doesn't have much for me to look at, so I'm stuck with online pics. The twin bed doesn't seem very romantic to say the least, especially on those cold, rainy nights. What's the 'ultimate' floor plan for the 3 of us I wonder? Please share your views..thanks. Mike.
Boy Mike, this getting "on" has changed my perspective of comfortable. We actually converted our double bed to twins (I had a major crisis when I did this - particularly when our friends found out and had knowing smiles - but guess who's doing so now...) but typically have seen mostly double beds for sale. We realized a long time ago that being on the road is great but it's also when you want to be as comfortable as possible. That means if getting up to use the washroom involves crawling over your partner they aren't going to get the kind of rest they want - I know, you are thinking of the great potential since you are now both awake, but think again, you have another person with you.... so you can't anyways.

I don't know your position in terms of being able/willing to travel to purchase but a few places worth checking out are:

craigslist: vancouver, BC classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

There are a few listed there now but not sure if they are priced right - seem to be a tad high to me.

There's a mixed bag here but it continues to evolve:

http://www.buysell.com/Search/Result...an=1&picOnly=0

We found ours on Buy and Sell, and we found our friends on Seattle's Craigs list. The trick is to check often as they tend to disappear quickly.

Be careful, there are lots of scammers out there. And I'll keep my eyes open as I peruse the various classifieds and if something pops up will forward.

Barry
Old 07-10-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saskatoon , Sk.
Well at this point I'm fairly flexible on travelling to pick up the right trailer. I work shift work and have decent days off for travelling that's why I've been searching various online resources. Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems the better pricing is in the US. More supply I assume.
Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Los Alamitos , California
Mike,
I left a msg about this but lost it. In any case, got the 25' twin bed. My wife and I were very leery about it but since then we love it for 3 reasons: 1. it's easier to get in and out of bed that is no small issue 2. you have more outside storage 3 it makes it seem much bigger since there is no bed cutting off your line of vision from bow to stern. Good luck and you buying the right rv.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Be sure to check the Classifieds on this forum: see top of page menu. Best wishes in your search. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Blandford , Massachusetts
Twin beds in 25' Classic

As you get on in years you will also have a better appreciation of the twin configuration. Decades ago my Dad bought a trivet in Pennsylvania Dutch country with a saying--"Kissin' don't last, cookin' do."